Government Shutdown and YOU!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Government Shutdown and YOU!

Just got word from the local BLM that the Feds will CLOSE the Fort Ord property to recreational (all) use if there is not a budget tonight. The ranger staff will be directed to turn folks away from using the property AT ALL!!! This means that there will not be a planting event this weekend, no NorCal trailwork, no NorCal racing, no practicing your laps for the Sea Otter XC races. In fact, if there is not a budget before the Sea Otter, they will have to find another venue for the XC races!!!

IF there is a shutdown, please keep in mind that the rangers that will be staying on will be there to do a job that I am sure that they do not want to do. In fact, I bet they think it is pretty damn stupid. Be nice to them as this is beyong their control.

Ken Salazar is in charge of the Department of Interior and has rejected proposals to have the ranger staff (that have to be there anyway to keep us OFF the property) keep the Sea Otter going if there is a shutdown. There are to be no exceptions. If you call his office, you will be directed to talk to his bosses, our elected representatives. You know what to do....

P.S.
    Please do not turn this thread into a finger pointing political rant! Just let us know what action you have taken!

aka baycat
    I ate a bagel for breakfast and today is opening day for the Giants.

I mean how much "practice" does one need on the Fort Ord race course? It is a bunch of sandy or sandy/packed down singletrack. I think it won't be the end of the world or your last use of an exclamation point.
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 04-08-2011 at 10:05 AM.

jms
    mtbr member

I Love

I love extortion and fear mongering.

What will I do? I'll find another place to ride until the powers that be decide to quit squabbling over their little fiefdom.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Someone posted a link to this article on another forum about 5 guys who tried to poach the Grand Canyon during the last Govt Shutdown during the Clinton Administration.

http://www.mountainbikeheaven.com/archives/bagfame.html

nocturnal oblivion
    Legally they can not allow anything there, it's federal law. All non-essential employees may not work in a shut-down, not even voluntarily. By allowing an event it'd be making the essential security rangers non essential.
    But it is the GOP that's causing this.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    I'm gonna open up my beer drinking organization
    :wq

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Someone posted a link to this article on another forum about 5 guys who tried to poach the Grand Canyon during the last Govt Shutdown during the Clinton Administration.

Looks like Phantom Ranch, the rangers id'ing the shrooms, the National Park Helicopter service and the National Park service holding facility together with the US Magistrate Court were not taking part in the shutdown:

"However, they were never able to complete their ride. Fourteen miles into it, they were intercepted by park ranger Sandie Hand, who took them to Phantom Ranch to be interviewed and frisked. Searches revealed 18 grams of marijuana and 15 grams of hallucinogenic mushrooms.

THEIR RIDE out of the Grand Canyon was quite different from their ride in six hours earlier. They left in leg shackles and handcuffs aboard a National Park Service helicopter. Accompanying them were two rangers with automatic weapons and bullet-proof vests.

The five bikers - Rama (Jon Cogan), Long Tall (John Panetta), Wheeze (Mitch Obele), Forest (Forest Michaels) and "Dangerous Dave" Hart - were taken to the National Park Service holding facility.

Ten days later, they were found guilty in the U.S. Magistrate Court of violating a national park closure and bicycling in a prohibited area. Each was fined $244 for the helicopter ride and $250 for violating the closure and riding in a prohibited area."

nocturnal oblivion

18 grams of pot for 5 guys? "You guys smoke entirely too much weed."
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Legally they can not allow anything there, it's federal law. All non-essential employees may not work in a shut-down, not even voluntarily. By allowing an event it'd be making the essential security rangers non essential.
    Annnndddddd here we go!
    :wq

aka baycat
    And stumblemumble threadshitted in record time!

"P.S.Please do not turn this thread into a finger pointing political rant! Just let us know what action you have taken!"

mtbr member
    A friend of my wife's is supposed to be getting married up at Yosemite tomorrow afternoon. We're headed up tonight. It could be interesting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Seems like a lot of weed for a few hours of riding and 5 guys LOL!

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus
    A friend of my wife's is supposed to be getting married up at Yosemite tomorrow afternoon. We're headed up tonight. It could be interesting.
    Now that would suck for the couple getting married. Ouch!
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Papa G, I was wondering if you were going to post this on MTBR. I was thinking about it but didn' t want to open a can worms........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBeard Pirate
    Now that would suck for the couple getting married. Ouch!
    Yes. It might turn in to a very "intimate" wedding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by photodog
    You guys obviously don't know how important safety is out on the trails. Amateurs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre
    Ten days later, they were found guilty in the U.S. Magistrate Court of violating a national park closure and bicycling in a prohibited area. Each was fined $244 for the helicopter ride and $250 for violating the closure and riding in a prohibited area."
    You missed this part

"Although the $250 was suspended, the riders were forced to turn over their bikes to the court. As part of the plea bargain, drug charges were also dropped."

Quote Originally Posted by photodog
    Seems like the bare minimum considering they also had 15 grams of hallucinogenic mushrooms

Members who have read this thread: 0