Goodbye and thanks- Mtbr.com
    J
    ROOOOOOOO

Goodbye and thanks

Hi everybody. Some of you may already know this, but I figured I’d post something up since my posting days here are numbered. I’m moving out of the area in a few months (back) to Austin, Texas. This decision is primarily being driven by economics. I have a good offer down there, and it’s increasingly difficult for me to save for a future while living in the Bay Area. It’s been a good run, I’ve lived quite a life out here. I don't know when I’m leaving exactly, so I’m throwing this out there a little early.

Economic realities aside, the Bay Area has been my second home for a long time. Longer, in fact, than the time I’ve lived here. That’s a much longer story. I will miss it and all of you very much.

I’d just like to say thanks to my mtbr crew for being not only my extended (near immediate) family when I’m so far away from mine, but as well for being a great forum. You’ve got your quirks, but its nice to have a place to go to talk about our love of mtb and not have to worry about a bunch of NWS / trolls / shitheads.

I have many fond memories with mtbr over the last 7 years, and I’ve made a ton of friends and had so many superb memories, too many to count. Here are a few honorable mentions:

• Meeting up with my old Austin pal Anthony Sloan for my first ride at UC /May By The Bay, which started from Cowell, went out to the coast through Wilder and back. I won a free pair of MTBR socks that day for cleaning a gnarly climb, and still wear them proudly

• Boggs MBTB crew, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barley wine tastings and a misplaced camera conspiracy

• Trailseeker (Chris) and son Evan for Deadhead kinship and musical inspiration

• Francois and his office crew for allowing me to expand their culinary horizons locally

• Kyle and Andy and the Stewardship crew for putting on the gathering every year

• The Skeggs technical clinic and crepe breakfast ride. You’ll never know what you do until you try. ITS ONLY A CHAINRING PEOPLE GET UP THERE. Maybe we can get one more going before I leave, but someone has to carry the techskills torch after I leave!

• PTB / Water Dog Wednesday crew. Too many positive memories and great rides to even begin to scratch the surface.

Charles and Patty get special mention here for their tireless support of the bay area cycling community and still having enough energy left over to be gracious hosts, staunch advocates, and a pillar of support for us. You’ve been two of my best friends, and I feel that bears special mention here. You deserve every bit of success with Passion Trail Bikes and all that it stands for. I’ve been hanging around bike shops my entire life, and yours, without question, is the best I’ve been in.

• Mt Hamilton ride. Its so funny that NorCal mtbr is the premier destination for us roadies. Makes sense, really.

• Turkey Ride, cheesecakes

• Robert and his passion for SJ Bike Party

• Snowjnky for being a source of true comic relief to NorCal forum

• Dwight’s hospitality in Santa Cruz

• Rumpfy and his VRC crew being so welcoming to me at Keyesville every year. You guys are chill and thats good when you’re trying to get a night’s sleep before a trials competition!

If you’ve read this far and have a memory to share, post it up, otherwise I wish the lot of you positive vibrations and the best of luck with trail advocacy in the beautiful state of California. Apologies in advance as I’ve not called out many of you, there’s simply too many great memories and not enough time.

If you’re ever in Austin and have some time for a ride (or just a pint), PM me and I’ll show you the good stuff. Maybe we can get a ride together before I leave.

Kind wishes,
    Jay

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Good luck Jay! Build a sweet pump track down there!

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    There's several that have popped up since I've been there.

Yours is still the best though!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I rode at Reimers ranch last spring. The trails I rode were real good and mountain bikers are very welcome.

http://www.austinridgeriders.com/trails.htm#reimers

It's about showing up.

I did nothing.

What do I win?

Happy trails!

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    You win a pat on the back for your efforts with NorCal high school league, I think. I was a ride leader for my local HS, so consider yourself a good example.

If you aren't that guy, carry on.

Java, I never rode at Reimers when I was there, it was just opening. I spent most of my time riding City Park.

JRA
    Hey, welcome back to Central Standard Time, whenever you do make the move! I'd be up for roadtripping south fer sher.

Crepes ride was damn good. Also, getting tired of waiting for people to argue about the next Skeggs route and blitzing out down Creek.

Dim Sum.

Pacifica.

Demo.

S'allll good.

Good luck! Don't forget to polish up your belt buckle.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. (Translated: I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

It's about showing up.

I'm guessing you helped with Peninsula Composite

Quote Originally Posted by J
    You win a pat on the back for your efforts with NorCal high school league, I think. I was a ride leader for my local HS, so consider yourself a good example.
    Thanks for lending a hand. You make a difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goodbye and thanks-ecci28301.jpg  

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Best of luck in the next chapter. I always enjoyed riding with you.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    You are quite a character and will be missed. Fun hanging out and riding with you on the RoadBikeReview.com rides as well as San Jose Bike Party. When you know your date of departure timeframe, would be nice to plan some sort of ride beforehand; let us know!
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

Paper or plastic?
    J, thanks for letting me try your 5 Spot at Skeggs a while back (okay a long time ago). Wish you the best in Austin.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Been good knowing you and riding with you J. Hopefully you'll get a little time off and you can make a future May by the Bay

Good luck.

(slight return)
    Hey J, You still have a free Tour Of Marin card. Let me know if you want to cash that sucker in before you go.

-slide

rho
    Life is strange
    Be sure to conduct safety meetings in accordance with northern California traditions.
    You need a stupid big going away ride.

ALSO Cold cuts on top of mt ham.
    Some of the tastiest meat... EVER!

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Quote Originally Posted by rho
    You need a stupid big going away ride.
    Like taking your Bullit for a 5k day at Demo.

If my job ever takes me down that way I'll be sure to bring my bike (it'll probably still be the SAME one!!! ha ha)

Good luck and happy trails,

Travis
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Oh Lordy I remember that. Not only did I take my bullit, but I had armor, full face, flats and 2x DH tires. THEN we had to climb back out to the slide.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looks like Charles will need to get a new tandem partner to race Sea Otter next year

Snowjnky McDreamy
    J,
    Good Luck with the transition.
    up here in the Norcal scene we were lucky to have someone like you to ride with. Great attitude, funny, always down for a PBR , killer baklava and cheesecake, and who else can do burnouts at SJBP???
    Come back soon and often.

I still need to get you your signed BSNYC book. Don't leave without it.

A going away ride seems to be in order.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

fc
    head minion Administrator
    dude. seriously?

fc

mtbr member
    dang.. Well best of luck J with you endeavors! I always enjoy riding with ya, end enjoying your edible creations even more!

You have to come back often. So put the d-ville gatherings on your calendar! (or at least mail some of your baklava! )

aka baycat
    Best of luck in Austin & enjoy some real BBQ

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    J.
    Good riding with you and best of luck in Austin! We'll look you up when we're ever visiting for a tour of the best local single track.
    Best regards, J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Good luck J in Austin.

You'll be missed and your cheesecake too
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

~~~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goodbye and thanks-img_2279.jpg  

Goodbye and thanks-img_3940.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow I made the list!!! Woohooo

J-you, your food and your tomfoolery will be missed indeed! There is no reason you can't make next year's Dville event though, right??!?!?!!!
    Last edited by Andy aka Rut; 09-01-2010 at 01:19 PM.
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

Medium?
    Love you man. Tis a sad day in NorCal board history. I'm a bit choked up. Seriously.

You'll have to hook up with my brother-in-law for some shows. I'll send a friend suggestion to his band on FB. He may want to see some trails, but I would guess he's out of riding shape.

My spoon is too big!
    J you'd better get back here for visits, I wanna chase you down Sawpit again. BTW, I still have a DVD of that ride for you.

Best of luck to you in Austin, you'll be missed around here.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

mtbr member
    Sep 2000
    Dang, who's gonna give us lunch recommendations now??

Good luck with the next chapter, J!
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

Let's ride
    Sad day for sure. Hate to see you go Jay. Don't be a stranger...

I will need to visit Austin some day. Save me a space on the couch, and some bike storage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You for got to add "for all the fish"

Mileage Junkie
    May 2004
    We have not met but it is obvious you have touched the lives of many here. Is Austin really part of Texas?

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Thanks everyone for the kind words, it means a lot to me to know I've had a positive impact here. Would love to do a going away ride. The calendar is getting booked up with trips and such, but we can make something happen, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by slide mon
    Hey J, You still have a free Tour Of Marin card. Let me know if you want to cash that sucker in before you go.
    I plan on it. Did Tamarancho for the first time yesterday and had a blast, esp on the rocky sections. Ate it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    Looks like Charles will need to get a new tandem partner to race Sea Otter next year.
    Yep. I think someone needs to step up and do this. Yall thought Carlmont or Demo was exciting? Try being on the back of a tandem with Charles. No brakes, no whining. He does not brake until the APEX of the corner(if at all!). Wear a diaper the first time. I think we broke the sound barrier coming down Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    dude. seriously?
    Yes. Not everyone can have a job being The Stig like you!

Quote Originally Posted by rho
    Be sure to conduct safety meetings
    Safety first!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    There is no reason you can't make next year's Dville event
    That's correct, and I've already thought of that. I'll be wanting the heck out of Texas come July.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Friends band
    Aha, so that's what that was. Thanks! Many good memories with you. I'll remind you that Sunday is The Day Of The Lord and you should give your liver a day off occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Medieval
    BTW, I still have a DVD of that ride for you.
    Can you put it in my box at Passion Trail Bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    Dang, who's gonna give us lunch recommendations now??
    Holler at me, lets do lunch and I'll make you a list of my top local recs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You will love Austin. Very, very bike friendly city. Every weekend I've been up there, there have been a TON of road bikers along 360 and the Lakes.
    As far as MTB'g....never mtb in Austin yet but I'd imagine with all the parks and scenic areas there has to be a ton of mtb trails, both inside the city, outskirts, or in the Hill Country.

Many times I've considered moving from San Antonio up the road to Austin.

Totally, and to the max.
    Jay, the Bay Area needs more people like you! I'm bummed to see you go, but life's an adventure! Gotta keep exploring. You, not me. I'm stuck. ;-) Thank you for always bringing your hospitality, AMAZING dessert chefery, and laid-back, country twang spirit where ever you went. It's funny, I grew up around a lot of guys like you. My dad and all his family was from the Fort Worth area and everytime they visited, I got a huge dose of fun-lovin' Texas boy country attitude. I actually thought one of my uncles was Johnny Cash. They looked identical!

Anyhoo, rock on, brother. I hope Austin allows you many more opportunities to leg ahead of the game and slow down a bit. Lord knows this area is an upstream battle for a lot of us spawner types!

Cheers,
    Kyle

Trail Goddess
    J, have a great time in Austin. I'll miss the foodie discussions at Boggs if you can't make it out for MBTB. You still owe me cheesecake if I recall correctly.

Fiona
    Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!!

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Update, move has been accelerated, I found a place to live, have decided to take off, and have about a week left.

If you'd like to hang out, best show up at Passion Trail Bikes in Belmont this Wed, 27 Oct, they're having a party of sorts.

Thanks again, and see ya.

aka baycat
    Yo J got the ptb email and will see you there

Weird huh?
    I'll hoist a PBR your way on the Turkey Day Ride this year...

Watch out for snakes down in Tejas

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Wow. I'll try to rearrange my work schedule so I can make the party, man.
    My presence would be the equivalent of painting lamb's blood on your frame, causing the "angel of crash" to nail me instead.

jrm
    mtbr member

Fun Times man

Austins not that far away you know. Best of luck.

sunnyside up

Jay Roast at Passion on Wednesday 10/27/10, 7:30pm

Roasted Jay, with Pumpkin Pie, Weds 10/27, 7:30pm

Please join us next Wednesday for a fun evening sending off one of our very first (and still most loyal) customers: Jay Blincoe, who is moving to Texas, for some strange reason yet to be fully understood. We will light up the trash burner, get a good stink going, and serve up some fine, marinated, slow roasted Jay along with some other, more digestible victuals, lubricants and libations.

Revelers are asked to arrive equipped with a ditty or a doozy, perhaps a floozie, or maybe a frisky ride flask, from which to pour a toast and send off our friend in fine style with just the right amount of bruising and blushing. True stories and false, honest observations and lies, damn lies, or heartfelt huzzahs are all welcome. Costumes optional.

The lounge will be equipped with an extra special IPA from Santa Cruz Ale Works courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. NiceLobster (Jon and Nica), and Patty promises to serve up some good home cookin'.

Please RSVP to Patty at
    [email protected] so we know how much food and firewood we need.

The party is at the shop: Passion Trail Bikes, 415 Old County Road, Belmont, CA 94002
    650-620-9798.
    "...So forget all your duties, oh yeah! Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today..." Freddie Mercury

It's about showing up.

High School Racing Coming to Texas

Check it out. NorCal...er.....NICA is expanding. You bring something special to the party:

http://www.texasmtb.org/

Natural body armor
    Dammit!! and the cheesecake??
    Austin is fun (I mean considering where it is). Sorry to see you go, you'll be missed here.

You led the first mtbr ride I ever joined (at Skeggs, few years back) and that was a lot of fun, still remember that - thanks!

Take care
    I'll try to make it to the party on Wed.
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    If you're going to go to the party on Wed at Passion Trail Bikes, please RSVP if you can to Patty or I, she's trying to get a headcount for food.

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    If you're going to go to the party on Wed at Passion Trail Bikes, please RSVP if you can to Patty or I, she's trying to get a headcount for food.
    RSVP sent to Patty, any special requests for treats?
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

fc
    Wednesday, I'll be there.

I'll ride Waterdog too at around 5:30 so let me know if anyone is into that.

fc
    IPA will save America

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Yeah let's try and get a water dog lap done before the party. Maybe meet up at the park or something to maximize time.

Chris I just got your message, do come down, likely the last chance I'm going to get to ride before the packers come on Friday.

mtbr member
    Evan and I will be there. Just sent an email to Patty. Gonna miss you,man. Glad we can sneak in a quick ride before the party!

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Update, trail conditions are prime at Water Dog, let's ride Wednesday.

Meet at the upper (end of Carlmont Drive) parking lot, Rolling by 4:30ish. This saves us time from having to truck up the hill from the shop.

fc
    Update, trail conditions are prime at Water Dog, let's ride Wednesday.

Meet at the upper (end of Carlmont Drive) parking lot, Rolling by 4:30ish. This saves us time from having to truck up the hill from the shop.
    I'm in that ride brohhh!

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I'm in Foster City tomorrow working, gonna try and be there

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Can't make the ride-n-roast but wishing you a great send off.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Thanks Fred.

Quick bump, 4:30 ride today, end of Carlmont Dr, or see you at PTB at 7:30ish.

I like mtn biking, too
    Have fun tonight, I am sorry I will have to miss it. It was fun hanging out with you at Kirkwood last winter, and I enjoyed your strawberry shortcake at PTB. We will all miss having your multi-talented self around. Hope your move goes well.
    Cheers,
    Julie
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Unfortunately work is preventing my attendance today, have a fun ride and party tonight!

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Unfortunately work is preventing my attendance today, have a fun ride and party tonight!
    ditto that
    Got the HD all ready to roll and everything.

Good luck with the move to Austin. Hopefully there will be some stuff that's technically challenging enough for ya there.

sunnyside up
    we will be here latish, drop ins welcome no RSVP needed
    "...So forget all your duties, oh yeah! Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today..." Freddie Mercury

VRC Illuminati
    You're a rock star J. You'll be missed no doubt!

-eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

fc
    small ride, huge party!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goodbye and thanks-passion1.jpg  

Goodbye and thanks-passion2.jpg  

IPA will save America

fc
    ride photo by Thai Hoc.

Note Trailseeker and Evan from Petaluma!

Crazy thing is all these photos are taken with Iphone. They getting better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goodbye and thanks-ride.jpg  

IPA will save America

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    J..Happy Trails, keep the rubber side down man!

Both the Mrs's and I just wanted to be sure to wish you the best in your move man..don't be a stranger on the board and totally abandon us for the other MTBR board for your new home.

Chime in every so often with pics to show us the stoke from elsewhere sort of how Photo-John and others still do.

fc
    No baklava at the Turkey ride this year.

~~~
    Who's in charge of safety meetings now?

Members who have read this thread: 0