Good mid peninsula shop for disc brakes?- Mtbr.com
    J
    ROOOOOOOO

Good mid peninsula shop for disc brakes?

I have some Hope minis that are acting up. I went to Broken Spoke, they took a look but the problem is recurring. I then went to Chain Reaction - they said they didn't work on hydraulic brakes on bikes that weren't purchased there.

Also looking for other mid peninsula riders. Found a few so far but it never hurts to ask.

Absurd
    Quote Originally Posted by planet x
    I have some Hope minis that are acting up. I went to Broken Spoke, they took a look but the problem is recurring. I then went to Chain Reaction - they said they didn't work on hydraulic brakes on bikes that weren't purchased there.

Also looking for other mid peninsula riders. Found a few so far but it never hurts to ask
    Chain reaction... AKA the "snobby off-roadie shop". It's not exactly "mid-peninsula" but the guys at Trailhead in Campbell really know their sh!t. There a little on the pricey side, but it'll be done right the first time fo sho.

Medium?

Trailhead is good, but

Roaring Mouse at 15th and Irving in the city is good too. I know neither is mid-peninsula.

J_B

Mar 2004
    I had the problems with my Minis. They never had any power, they were mushy and I would squeeze the lever and there would be no brakes. I bled and bled the brakes. No change. I took them to the lbs....no change. I ordered a set of Hayes HFX-9($109 a wheel) and 8" rotors from Jenson and have had no problems since.

My advice. If you can, get rid of the Minis and get Hayes.

Medium?

I was going to say that too

but I thought it sounded a little religious. I totally agree. Everyone with minis seems to have trouble. I run hayes with an Avid 7" front rotor using a rear IS mount and a couple extra washers on my gearie.

ballbuster

You have a gearie?

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    but I thought it sounded a little religious. I totally agree. Everyone with minis seems to have trouble. I run hayes with an Avid 7" front rotor using a rear IS mount and a couple extra washers on my gearie.
    I have only seen you on your yellow Gunnar SS. How much dust does(n't) the gearie collect?

May 2004

Try Palo Alto Cycles...

They have one guy who is very good with mountain bikes, his name is Chris and he has done some great work on my bike over the last 2 years. Most of the other guys work on road bikes. They have one newer guy who is also very knowledgeable on mt bikes, but Chris always set me up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Also looking for other mid peninsula riders. Found a few so far but it never hurts to ask.
    Try the Half Moon Bay shop. They are technically sound.

Re midpen riders, what kind of riding are you into? Tell me and I can give you some advice on where to go/what rides, etc.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman
    Try the Half Moon Bay shop. They are technically sound.

Re midpen riders, what kind of riding are you into? Tell me and I can give you some advice on where to go/what rides, etc.
    Thanks.

XC, singlespeed, road, trials, and pub crawl. I know a few of the area spots, but don't know that many people yet.

Medium?

Significant dust.

The only time I rode it in the last year was one day on the bike trail with my son. We rode about 20 miles, and I wanted a better get with which to keep up with him.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mid Pen Rides

Thanks.

XC, singlespeed, road, trials, and pub crawl. I know a few of the area spots, but don't know that many people yet.

Just sent you a private message.

Flyin Canine
    Thanks.

try www.romp.org
    They have group rides all the time and the do advocasy and trailwork stuff too.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    My TALAS is spitting oil so I need to get it serviced. I recall one shop saying that they had to be shipped back to Fox to get serviced. Is this the case, or is there anyone local (San Mateoish) that can be recommeded to do this (other than the shops previously mentioned in this thread)? I'd rather not send it back, but if thats what it takes, no problem.

Broken Spoke in San Carlos is going out of business in a few weeks, so I'm going to check and see if they're taking repairs until then.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Bike connection in palo alto has one mech in particular that Always hooks it up with great service. He fixed my buddies hayes brakes after we brought it in at 5pm on saturday and we had it back ready to roll at 7pm the same day for our sunday ride. I always go there. I just can't afford to buy my components from them. Palo Alto prices.

mtbr member
    Any worthwhile shop ought to be able to service a Fox Fork. My LBS in Monterey (Aquarian) can...I think they charge $35-40 plus parts or something, basically an hour's worth of labor.

You could also give it a try yourself...I think I spent $20 on new Enduro seals maybe, just haven't put them in...

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Depends on what's wrong with the TALAS fork. If it's bleeding oil out of a leg from the top of the lowers at the stanchion, it's probably just the seals as mentioned before. Grab the Enduro seals or some OEM Fox ones. If the TALAS cartridge is acting weird, then yes you have to send it to Fox.

Fox Forxs are super easy to disassemble and reassemble. Get the manual for the thing off of Fox's website, or look at the Enduro Seals website and check out the manual for the FX series forks. But I don't know how different the internals of the air piston side are on the TALAS system so I could be talking out of my rear.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Thanks for the replies. I think its just the seals, as it is not pouring oil, just leaking out of the top of the right leg. Its working fine otherwise.