good day trip from marin? 'back west' for a visit- Mtbr.com
    try driving your car less

good day trip from marin? 'back west' for a visit

hey. i used to live in san rafael and rode there alot, but I did not own a car. i am headed back for a visit, and i will have a rental car, and a sunday midday through tuesday afternoon at my disposal, along with some money and a riding buddy. but no bike. according to mapquest, downieville is 4 hours away.
    any suggestions? something a little closer, as 4 hours seems pretty far for what would become a day trip (monday full day of riding).
    looking for a place that might rent some decent bikes, as well. what's north in sonoma?
    i know that there is a lot out there. just give me some tips, please. we both enjoy all-day rides. no full face helmet, body armor or robocop stormtrooper outfits here. in marin we usually would do a white's hill/pine mountain/mt tam day kind of thing.
    just looking to hit something beyond the usual tamorancho/china camp rides.
    thanks!
    maybe downieville is the best option...
    Only boring people get bored.

Coors, the american beer.
    The closest place other than the two places you already mentioned would be Annadale State Park which is in Santa Rosa. You can get a lot of cross country riding in there and can easliy spend a full day tooling around if you take the right trails.

You also have Las Posadas Experimental Forest which is NorthWest of Napa in a little town called Angwin. The area is located behind Pacific Union College. This is more a "morning" type of ride, you can strech it if you ride some of the same trails twice, I frequent this place and can reccomend a nice loop if i am shown a map.

Then theres Rockville City Park out in Fairfield. Also not a place you could pull an entire day riding at but also a lot of fun. Unforutanetly the city recently closed the "tilley" portion of the park which is hope to some really nice singletrack.

If you are up for a jaunt and some windy roads, you can hit Boggs Mountain which is North of Middletown CA. I just was out there for MBTB and it was a great place. We had some difficulty reading the map however.

I think ive gotten you started on some good riding around here. In summary, i would like to say that if you are looking to pull off an "epic" all day ride, annadale is most likely your best bet. Boggs might be doable too ... i dont know the trails well enough to make a final reccomadation on that one.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    The closest place other than the two places you already mentioned would be Annadale State Park which is in Santa Rosa. You can get a lot of cross country riding in there and can easliy spend a full day tooling around if you take the right trails.

You also have Las Posadas Experimental Forest which is NorthWest of Napa in a little town called Angwin. The area is located behind Pacific Union College. This is more a "morning" type of ride, you can strech it if you ride some of the same trails twice, I frequent this place and can reccomend a nice loop if i am shown a map.

Then theres Rockville City Park out in Fairfield. Also not a place you could pull an entire day riding at but also a lot of fun. Unforutanetly the city recently closed the "tilley" portion of the park which is hope to some really nice singletrack.

If you are up for a jaunt and some windy roads, you can hit Boggs Mountain which is North of Middletown CA. I just was out there for MBTB and it was a great place. We had some difficulty reading the map however.

I think ive gotten you started on some good riding around here. In summary, i would like to say that if you are looking to pull off an "epic" all day ride, annadale is most likely your best bet. Boggs might be doable too ... i dont know the trails well enough to make a final reccomadation on that one.
    thanks. i will check out those options...
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr dismember

I second Annadel

The best place I've ridden outside of the Sierras. Easy to get in 25 - 30 miles or more. Mostly gradual climbs but lots of nice long downhills with just a bit of rocks thrown in. Map on my site.

Members who have read this thread: 0