mtbr member

Going To California(from Maine)

My Wife's niece is getting married in Saratoga in July. This will be our first trip to the area and are thinking of extending our time there to do some mountain biking and some other activities.

Any suggestions on trails(Self guided), places to stay, places to visit, breweries, etc.

We may rent or I may ship our bikes depending on what is available. Always best to ride your own bikes. Also, we ride exclusively fat now. I have 30 years mtn bike experience and my wife has 20 years. We will ride most anything XC except big drops(B lines ok). No lift served needed.

Love to check out Mt. Tam if it is worth a visit.

We are fairly adventurous so any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

NedwannaB
    Tam/Central/Southern Marin areas are great but if in Sarratoga there's probly lots down there that the locals can chime in on.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Unless you are going to make a serious bike adventure of it, maybe best to rent. Assuming you can find a rental location that has adequate MTB rentals for what you are after.

I've never shipping a bike across the country before so no idea how expensive it is relative to a rental for a day (or ?).

Bring your climbing legs. Not sure what the conditions are like where you live but you may find climbing mountains on a fat bike to be more than expected if you don't already ride those conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Saratoga..wow. that place may as well be on the moon from where i stand.

i'm up in the northbay..i have great friends that live in Saratoga...we have a silent agreement never to speak to each other again, since visiting each other is an epic journey.

i cant even remember my godSon's name, and the kid lives in San jose..thank goodness for Amazon gift shipping!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Just a few miles out of saratoga about 6 miles up highway 9 is a decent trail system---known as saratoga gap. Not really tech but close and nice views. For tech I suggest demo which would take about 45 minutes-----up highway 17-----lots of directions if you search these blogs----super flow trail here and one pretty techy trail--braile----be warned you need to climb to the top and back to the car--fat bike would not be common here

Mount Tam is not worth the drive unless you stay in marin county----it is a haul and traffic is ungodly--could easily take 2 miserable hours each way---but if you stay in marin after the wedding then tamarancho in fairfiled is good and annandale up in napa is very good

orthonormal
    Santa Cruz is under an hour each way if you avoid heavy commuter times. Weekdays are easy; don't head toward Santa Cruz between 4-7pm and don't drive back to Saratoga between 6-9am and you're good. Summer weekend traffic is bad but if you can be in Santa Cruz before 10am and on your way back over the hill by 3pm, you'll be fine.

I doubt you'll find fat bikes to rent. Scotts Valley Cycle Sports has Stumpjumpers, Hightowers, and Pivot Mach 5.5s. Trailhead (Cupertino), Another Bike Shop, Ibis, and Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz) are also good rental/demo options.

Beer options here: Sante Adairius Rustic Ales is outstanding. Humble Sea is a favorite as well. Lupulo Craft Beer House isn't a brewery but always has a great selection and some of the best food (Tapas) in the area.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Just a few miles out of saratoga about 6 miles up highway 9 is a decent trail system---known as saratoga gap. Not really tech but close and nice views. For tech I suggest demo which would take about 45 minutes-----up highway 17-----lots of directions if you search these blogs----super flow trail here and one pretty techy trail--braile----be warned you need to climb to the top and back to the car--fat bike would not be common here

Mount Tam is not worth the drive unless you stay in marin county----it is a haul and traffic is ungodly--could easily take 2 miserable hours each way---but if you stay in marin after the wedding then tamarancho in fairfiled is good and annandale up in napa is very good
    Do you ride these places or just recommending?:0

Tamarancho is in Fairfax, "Rockville" is up near Fairfield.

Annadel is in Santa Rosa and is the bomb. But it's another 45-50 minutes north oh SF. You may be confusing "Angwin" or "Skyline Park" which are in both ends of Napa.

Cheeseburgler
    Dont drive to the north bay.

If you want XC and to see views of the bay, go to the parks off skyline like russian ridge and montebello.

If you want XC, lots of climbing, and redwoods go to Skeggs.

If you want to ride technical trail, go to demo or santa cruz.

Those would be my main suggestions for someone visiting.

mtbr member
    Thanks folks. We are not afraid of climbing. In fact I rather enjoy it. We typically average about 100'/mi on our trails in the NE. We can handle more. We did a trail lat week in Philly that is 200' in a quarter mile of wet techy ledge. Great descent on the other side as a reward for the slog.

We have CF fatbikes that are sub 30lbs. I have disassembled them before so would not be a big deal to do that for shipping.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This is an arrea even plus bike are you excessive, but if thats what uou ride, then by all means shiping your own will be easier. I think i see about one fat bike every two or three months.

Riding wise, someone already suggested saratoga gap. This links to a few more trail systems. You can easily do 4 hours up there . All mellow xc. But if you are coming from Maine, you should drove to santa cruz and do the demo forest, wilder ranch...etc you will find a lot of info about riding behind a local higher education facility in the area. Those trails are illegal...but with fat bike, they wont appeal to you anyways.

Ariolimax columbianus
    if you ride fat bikes, you're shipping, you're fine. I know a few folks around regionally that definitely ride fat bikes on most of the local trails. plus you can ride the beach for miles, just because it's fun. my summers are off, dm around the time you're coming out. if I'm around I can show y'all some trails if you're interested. maybe I'll even ride one of my fat bikes for good measure.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    Thanks folks. We are not afraid of climbing. In fact I rather enjoy it. We typically average about 100'/mi on our trails in the NE. We can handle more. We did a trail lat week in Philly that is 200' in a quarter mile of wet techy ledge. Great descent on the other side as a reward for the slog.

We have CF fatbikes that are sub 30lbs. I have disassembled them before so would not be a big deal to do that for shipping.
    So long as you're not opposed to schlepping the bikes around and have a case / box handy - BikeFlights is about the same as a full days rental.

default title
    Mar 2008
    I would recommend renting bikes so you won't need to worry about your nice fatbikes getting stolen during your vacation. If you do come down to the Santa Cruz area, multiple shops as well as Ibis and Santa Cruz Bikes have rentals.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gryphonics View Post

If you want XC and to see views of the bay, go to the parks off skyline like russian ridge and montebello.

This.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by gryphonics View Post

Agreed on areas down there. But its not like they're driving out from Maine(or are they?...) maybe they'd like to explore a little more of our central Northbay Norcal! They could always shackup overnight up there and rekindle their own honeymoon memories!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How many extra days are you considering adding? Are you thinking a day, a week, longer? I assume youíre renting a car? If you have more time, Tahoe and Downieville are only a few hours and will be waaaaay more fun than the Bay Area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    More great info. We do not even have to stay in Saratoga. We just have to be there for the wedding on Saturday. We would be fine staying a couple hours away if nice and drive in Saturday.

We may stay a week. flying out and renting an SUV. Bikes are fully insured.

Nobody
    I live in Los Gatos, which is a neighbor city to Saratoga. There is plenty of great riding right in the area you'll be staying. The climbing might be a little more than your used to, but not a problem. I have multiple bikes, but love riding my fat bike on trails around here. I have a Les Fat with a Mastadon fork and 5" tires, but rode it rigid for at least a year before suspension with no problems. Russian Ridge, Saratoga Gap, Skeggs, Stevens Canyon, John Nicholas Trail, and so many more to speak of. Definitely bring your bikes, because you'll be paying $100/day per bike to rent mtb's around here. Might even try DEMO for flow trail. I've done all of DEMO on my fat bike before suspension. Head over to Santa Cruz for Nisene, Wilder Ranch, and trails around the college campus.

When the time get's closer, you can hit me up and I'd be happy to give you more detailed info and even join you guys for a ride or two.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    There is a very long loop mostly on dirt from saratoga. 45 miles with 6k in climbing. There is probably an hour total of road riding but it's still a great route. Stevens caynon to page mill and all along skyline into los gatos.

if you want the route pm me and can send along.

mtbr member
    About an hour drive south of Saratoga is Henry Coe State Park. There are over 250 miles of trails to ride- a real wilderness feel. You can ride all day and not see another person. Nothing technical, but lots of climbing. 200' per mile is the rule for Coe. The best place to access the park for mtb is the Hunting Hollow entrance near Gilroy. Bring $6 cash for parking.

I've seen plenty of fatbikes at Coe, often loaded up with gear for overnight bike packing. PM me if you want route suggestions that keep you on the best (cleanable) uphill and downhill trails.

mtbr member
    And since you are going in July, make sure you start early and finish your ride before 11am. It gets bloody hot!

If you want to ride in the afternoon, Santa Cruz will be the only sane option near Saratoga.

gimme friction
    Tam is worthy... Old RR Grade from Mill Valley, Eldridge Grade to the summit, maybe Coastal ST down to Muir Beach, then Deer Park back up to Pantoll...so tasty...the views and vibes are solid.

Also Marin Headlands...million dolla views at every turn. Hawk Hill, postcard views of GG bridge, Bonita Point lighthouse, Fort Cronkite and Rodeo Beach...So much good. Highly recommended. Even ride it from SF, over the bridge...hard to turn that down on a cross country trip, IMO,

Who cares about traffic, youíre on vacation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Most of the visit worthy riding requires a guide to show you the goods. If you're planning on extending your stay I'd say pick a place with points of interest outside of biking near some mountains and reach out on the forum for someone interested in showing you around.

Pretty subjective question because we don't know what kind of riding you're into but a good portion of the bike-specific sweet stuff won't be found on any official maps. There are good, legal rides but as a general rule of thumb they are much more tame.
    Last edited by abcdefg; 1 Week Ago at 11:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Lake Tahoe appears to be a pretty cool place. We may just spend a week there.

wretch
    Now you're on the right track. Surrounded by great trails, and even more variety within a beautiful hours drive in almost any direction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yep. You can get some great riding in over a week in Tahoe. Thereís lots of opinions on the best place to stay but I recommend Incline Village. Itís centrally located with quick access to the different trail networks in the basin and there are good beaches for a swim after riding. It also sets you up for an easy drive to Downieville for a couple of shuttle runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks. Incline village looks very cool.

Tim

Nobody
    If your seriously considering Tahoe in the summer, don't wait till the last minute to get a room somewhere. Depending on what's going on at the time your going, it could be hard to find a decent hotel.

Personally, I agree with the above poster on staying in North Lake area. I would also recommend just renting a condo. Plenty of options in the area. I use VRBO
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Rented a small cabin on VRBO. Now we need to get some boxes to ship our bikes. Looks like it will be cheaper then renting decent bikes for 4 days.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    You're going to love Lake Tahoe.