GMBN goes to Flow, rides Braille instead- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

GMBN goes to Flow, rides Braille instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmAOiMb_bv8

Unfortunate timing, but fun to see 'em on Braille.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'd say they made the right choice! I'd much rather see them dissect Braille instead of Flow. They had some excellent tips. Sessioning Braille is one of the best (legal) options the average rider Bay Area rider has to work on progression. Most people ride around most of the features--and probably don't even notice some of them. There's a fun steep roller and some hip jumps that are easy to blast by.
    Last edited by Callender; 1 Week Ago at 12:43 PM.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

Moderator Moderator
    Fun to see them on Braille but I would rather see them on Flow. I think the average rider would benefit more from learning to ride the Flow trail better, than inching down Braille. I've seen a lot of riders at Demo, 99% are not even close to the skill necessary to ride in the way they are suggesting in that video. And most don't ride Flow anywhere near the way it was meant to be ridden, particularly people who come from a XC background. There's a mindset that getting down a more technical trail makes one a better rider. I think riding an 'easier' trail progressively better makes one a better rider.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Just brilliant. Many folks ride that trail for 20 years and never ride it like that or think it through
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Last time I rode Braille I stopped and broke it down into pieces as they've done in the video. Too many lines to choose from if you haven't ridden it much. Trying to set aside the 'must get a PR' mentality is hard, but I've been able to do it more and more recently. Also scared the crap out of myself on that bigger log drop. Too much hang time for my taste.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Last time I rode Braille I stopped and broke it down into pieces as they've done in the video. Too many lines to choose from if you haven't ridden it much. Trying to set aside the 'must get a PR' mentality is hard, but I've been able to do it more and more recently. Also scared the crap out of myself on that bigger log drop. Too much hang time for my taste.
    Thatís the right mindset! Those features look small in videos, and those guys are going faster than they appear. If they did a Flow video there would be huge jumps most donít even realize are there.

mtbr member
    I could have summed this up into a .5 second video.

"Hi. Strait line that sh*t. Time for cheeseburgers"

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I fall into the category most have already identified.

I'm not good enough to ride a flow trail the way they are meant. I don't know how to ride berms very aggressively.

I rode 2 laps of flow one day, very similar times on each run.
    Next day 2 laps on Braille. I bypassed most of the techy stuff. I haven't ridden any type of drop, therefore unsure how to handle them. I'm smart enough to not try it when I am riding alone hundreds of miles from home. I would like to hit some of the features but I am totally fine with the bypass options.

The trail itself was a blast, good technical stuff, aside from the features.

I will go back again someday, just need to find a 3 day travel opportunity to make it worth my time. And some additional fitness to ride a 50 mile weekend again.

I will once again, ride flow relatively slowly (compared to the 'skilled' riders) and I will still bypass the big features of braille.
    I will also have fun.

mtbr member
    No humungo drop at the top?

Moderator Moderator
    This is a pretty good run down Flow.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Thatís the right mindset! Those features look small in videos, and those guys are going faster than they appear. If they did a Flow video there would be huge jumps most donít even realize are there.
    There are jumps on the Flow trail? Is that a new thing? It's been awhile since I've ridden it but it sure seemed to be sorely lacking for jumps.

Personally, without a jump between every set of berms, I hate flow trails. I'd much rather take a time machine back and ride Sawpit.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    There are jumps on the Flow trail? Is that a new thing? It's been awhile since I've ridden it but it sure seemed to be sorely lacking for jumps.

Personally, without a jump between every set of berms, I hate flow trails. I'd much rather take a time machine back and ride Sawpit.
    Maybe I shouldn't say jumps, rather, places to get pretty big air if you're riding the right line and going fast enough. Does that qualify as a jump? Is Mega at Carlmont a jump? I don't know.

Here's one you guys can ponder/chuckle about. At rinky dink Arastradero there is a massive jump to transition hiding in plain site. But you have to go much faster than I have the balls for. Anybody know where it is?

Up In Smoke
    Cool to see some local trails dissected on display, I'm not one to stop and look at a features so I appreciate the perspective.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Can somebody dig up Ron A.'s run down Braille? I'm pretty sure it was on a borrowed bike and he just crushed it, laughing the whole way. It's usually in my mind when I'm dropping it.

Also, if the Flow trail is a jump trail then I'm Kim Kardashian. Just because pros can boost off a bump...
    Last edited by Callender; 1 Week Ago at 08:51 AM.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

default title
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post

All of the grade reversals can be rolled, table tops same thing... nothing pitches you up like a true jump. You need to work for air.

I'm hoping the top parts of sawpit are intact enough to still be rough like ridge. IIRC the bottom half of sawpit is where most of the redwoods were.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

Nobody
    At the beginning of segment 5, there is a pretty lofty kicker that lands into a perfect transition and left berm and shortly after there is a double into a left berm if you maintain the speed.

Demo flow is not jumpy, but as already stated, there are half a dozen opportunities to launch if you know the line and maintain the flow.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Maybe I shouldn't say jumps, rather, places to get pretty big air if you're riding the right line and going fast enough. Does that qualify as a jump? Is Mega at Carlmont a jump? I don't know.

Here's one you guys can ponder/chuckle about. At rinky dink Arastradero there is a massive jump to transition hiding in plain site. But you have to go much faster than I have the balls for. Anybody know where it is?
    Yep, I remember those 'jumps'. If one were to go to Flow Trail to jump, it's the wrong trail for that. But if you prefer an oversized bump in the trail to be used as a jump then you're in the right place!
    I consider my wheels off the ground to be a jump.

I consider other people that wear a full face helmet and ride jumps half the height of a house to be a jumper. And all sizes in-between that and the flow trail 'bumps'. hehe

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Yep, I remember those 'jumps'. If one were to go to Flow Trail to jump, it's the wrong trail for that. But if you prefer an oversized bump in the trail to be used as a jump then you're in the right place!
    I consider my wheels off the ground to be a jump.

I consider other people that wear a full face helmet and ride jumps half the height of a house to be a jumper. And all sizes in-between that and the flow trail 'bumps'. hehe
    Yeah, it's not this place.....haven't worn this t shirt in a very long time.

GMBN goes to Flow, rides Braille instead-img_1784.jpg

mtbr member
    There is no place to get ďbig airĒ on Flow. Prove me wrong with a video.

I know there is a video of Kendallweed somewhere out there hucking off one of the upper ďjumpsĒ, but he can get more air bunny hopping on a flat trail than most people get of jumps.

Moderator Moderator
    What do you consider big air?

mtbr member
    What do you consider big air?
    I donít know. I was hoping someone would impress me with some video proof.

I know there are two fall-away ďstep-downsĒ, but neither of those you get more than a few inches off the ground even though you may travel a decent distance.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I donít know. I was hoping someone would impress me with some video proof.

I know there are two fall-away ďstep-downsĒ, but neither of those you get more than a few inches off the ground even though you may travel a decent distance.
    Like I said itís not Post Office. But there is more air to be had than the average rider takes advantage of.

mtbr member
    Like I said itís not Post Office. But there is more air to be had than the average rider takes advantage of.
    Letís see it then. I feel like Iím a fairly competent rider and I donít see any potential airtime when I ride it.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Letís see it then. I feel like Iím a fairly competent rider and I donít see any potential airtime when I ride it.
    I could be wrong, I ride Flow conservatively as I'm almost always alone or with my son who doesn't have a driver's license yet, and I don't want to get hurt so far out by myself or especially with him. But I always catch a few small airs and I feel like I could get a lot more if I were riding faster. Your definition of air and mine might be different. And when I say there's likely more air than the average rider takes advantage of, I'm referring to me.

Iíd say both Kendall Weed and Trail Peek are showing some pretty good air on Flow?
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 1 Week Ago at 10:50 PM.