GG/Marin ride pics- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

GG/Marin ride pics

Thanks to Baycat for putting on a great ride. I think Ibis Guy said 33 miles, plus whatever we all rode to get there.

1. Coming out of the fog in the morning.
    2&3 Nothing like a cold beer at the top/middle of a climb
    4. Taking a break up Tam
    5. Not ideal terrain for a cross bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EBrider; 04-29-2006 at 11:19 PM.

mtbr member

A few more

1. Ibis guy & Ibis gal
    2. While Andy trued 8Track's wheel, the rest of us enjoyed smoked almonds and pistachios
    2. I can smell the beer from here

Oct 2004

... and if we just ...

I posted what I had on the ride thread, I guess I should have started a new one. Oh and it was 32.5 miles and 4360' of climbing. You and I did a tad over 11 miles and about 500' from Larkspur to the GG bridge. So a grand total for us 44 miles and just about a 100' shy of 5000'.

Hey! The nuts and fruit guy on Panoramic!

So, did you all not climb up Coastal? or Deer Park???
    I'm guessing up Miwok to Pistachio truck then up some such trail that shant be named...

Wll, I stayed at home and payed with the dog and soak in hot water and broke my new fork

I was really looking forward to this ride and it looks like you guys had a great crew and a great time. Ah well... the season's young.

Is that a drumstick in MiniMae's hand at West Point Inn?

8Track, how was the SS on an 33 mile epic?

Derelict, where's that Chameleon? It's time to get you on a SS!
    Thanks for the photos. I was looking forward to seeing what I missed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    So, did you all not climb up Coastal? or Deer Park???
    I'm guessing up Miwok to Pistachio truck then up some such trail that shant be named...

Wll, I stayed at home and payed with the dog and soak in hot water and broke my new fork

I was really looking forward to this ride and it looks like you guys had a great crew and a great time. Ah well... the season's young.

Is that a drumstick in MiniMae's hand at West Point Inn?

8Track, how was the SS on an 33 mile epic?

Derelict, where's that Chameleon? It's time to get you on a SS!
    Thanks for the photos. I was looking forward to seeing what I missed.
    Yeah, thanks for getting me fired up to do the ride on my SS and then bailing.

Hope you feel better soon, and we can enjoy some pain together.

Not sure on the exact route, but I thought we rode coastal. We deviated a little bit by not dropping all the way down to sea level. I just followed the rest of the group.
    Last edited by EBrider; 04-30-2006 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Great ride! As for as SS'ing goes, this was a make it or break it ride... and the verdict is that I'll definitely be riding the SS again. Now, as far as rigid forks go, I was all excited about them (especially on the climbing, and even on the technical singletrack bits we "found" along the way), but Eldridge grade has disabused me of the notion that I'd go SS *and* rigid.

But I shouldn't be complaining... I was on a full steel frame/fork, but Ebrider was pure Aluminum baby. And Sashax, while he had gears, navigated down Eldridge on a cross bike...

As for our route, we didn't go down to Muir beach and up Deer Park. In order to avoid losing that well earned elevation gain, we rode Panoramic to Mt. Home Inn and up Tam and over to Eldridge.

Even though I was among the complainers about the 9am start, if we do this ride again, an early start is required if people want to relax, drink, eat *and* make the 5:30 ferry from Larkspur to SF. A few riders had a quick beer and made the ferry... Baycat and I stayed with IbisGuy, Crashmaster, and Minimae for dinner and were car shuttled back to the Golden Gate bridge where we rode home through the city.

mtbr dismember

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by ibisGuy
    I So a grand total for us 44 miles and just about a 100' shy of 5000'.
    Wow! You've come a long way since I first rode with you at Annadel only about a year ago. Hope I can keep up with you next time.

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Wow! You've come a long way since I first rode with you at Annadel only about a year ago. Hope I can keep up with you next time.
    Oh I think you'll have no problem keeping up with me or vice versa. Yesterdays ride was mostly scenic fireroads. The singletrack takes a little more out of me. I'll say I haven't been this sore after a ride in quite a long time. Wow you know your right I first rode with you in Annadel just a little over a year ago, man time flies when your having fun.

Dave

mtbr dismember

Auburn Saturday?

Auburn Saturday? I remember you saying you wanted to go back to Auburn after we last rode there. How about this Saturday? It will soon be too hot there. See: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=187132

Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    Yeah, thanks for getting me fired up to do the ride on my SS and then bailing.
    I thought about that. I also made a SS agreement with Dave.
    So I'm glad I could be instrumental in getting you guys out there to do a ride on your single speed that a lot of people wouldn't do with gears.

I would congratulate Andy and Reggie too, but they are cycling machines. I'm sure this was a walk in the park for those two.

... and Sashax on a cross bike down Eldridge... wow!
    good work all of you.
    Now excuse me while I go scratch.

mtbr member

Nice pics

Had a good time, I have qiute a few pics to post up, but I'm having problems posting them.
    I've been shrinking the pics and uploading them from my computer but it's a pain in the ass and the pics seem to lose there clarity. I tried uploading them from photobucket (URL) but it comes up an error on the site I need help (mentally)

CrAzY aNdY
    1man 1gear 1speed

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005

My arms hurt

Yeah, in many ways, doing this ride on a cross bike was like bringing a waffle iron to a knife fight: most of the time it made things pretty sweet, but there were moments that I was left with this big-ass piece of metal completely unsuited to the task at hand.

It's also the first time I've ever been on a 40+ mile ride and ended up with my arms much sorer than my legs.

The cross bike did come in handy, though, when I got to the parking lot late and realized everybody had already left. I got up the hill pretty quickly, and was able to catch the pack before they turned off the road.

Still, anybody got a size small full-suspension mountain bike for sale?

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    Thanks to Baycat for putting on a great ride.
    4. Taking a break up Tam
    So that was you guys I talked to briefly at West Point about my Waltworks. But I guess 29ers are just a fad, eh?

mtbr member
    I wish I could have finished the entire ride with you guys. At least the weather cleared up a bit for you guys. It was a bigger grunt back up the coastal trail than I was expecting, but I made it back to the gf's house a little after 2 (was due back by 2:30) so I got some bonus points, and I was able give a small guilt trip for not being able to finish.

definately want a redo for this ride in a couple weeks or months.

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    So that was you guys I talked to briefly at West Point about my Waltworks. But I guess 29ers are just a fad, eh?
    Funny I kept thinking, "I wonder if that was tamjam" as I zoned out going up the rest of railroad grade.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by cRasHmAstER
    Had a good time, I have qiute a few pics to post up, but I'm having problems posting them.
    I've been shrinking the pics and uploading them from my computer but it's a pain in the ass and the pics seem to lose there clarity. I tried uploading them from photobucket (URL) but it comes up an error on the site I need help (mentally)

CrAzY aNdY
    Try this program: http://google.picasa.com/ It's a free download that the Mega Lord turned me on to a while back - great for resizing pictures for MTBR!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

aka baycat
    Good ride, I was spent yesterday. Eric came with a great substitution for my route, I think there would have been some blood spilt if we decided to drop to Muir Beach and go up Deer Park FR

Gotta give it up to the singlespeeders (outnumbered the full squishes) and the cyclocross bike, Sasha had to be feeling it going down rocky eldridge. Andy roadside trueing skills are excellent and the beer tasted good after all those miles with the sun finally out.

We should do this ride again in May or June, with some nicer albeit hot weather

Ryan
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 05-01-2006 at 08:58 AM.

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Good ride, I was spent yesterday. Eric came with a great substitution for my route, I think there would have been some blood spilt if we decided to drop to Muir Beach and go up Deer Park FR

Gotta give it up to the singlespeeders (outnumbered the full squishes) and the cyclocross bike, Sasha had to be feeling it going down rocky eldridge. Andy roadside trueing skills are excellent and the beer tasted good after all those miles with the sun finally out.

We should do this ride again in late May or early June!

Ryan
    Hmm I'd be up for it again in late May or June.

I don't know if I would have made it up to East Peak if we had to climb Deer Park FR my quads were starting to cramp coming up Old Railroad Grade from West Point. Ah the beer, that was the thing keeping me going once we hit pavement.

mtbr member
    I will be there!
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

... and if we just ... Excellent ride indeed

Thanks Baycat for getting the peeps motorvated. I was the 10th person and it was my first ride with an mtbr crew.

I cannot believe the pure stand up nature of everyone in the group. It was a long day in the saddle (~7 hrs????) - but no one grumbled - everyone just kept spinnnin.

Awesome day for sure - cannot wait to do it again.

The single-speeders are an amazing bunch of pure strength. They left me in the dust on every climb.

Since longer rides seem pretty much the norm here, who has a long one starting at Tamarancho, then heading out toward the Pine Mtn area then back to Tamarancho?

Can't wait for the next ride!

CrazyAndy got some cool pics of a steep rocky single track section - hoping he can get those pics shrunk to upload.

Eric

mtbr member
    I would have been grumbling if I had continued on with you guys. That was definately the most climbing I have ever done on the SS.

It was ironic that sunday's weather would have been perfect. I went outside and not a cloud in the sky.

Props to Ed for making it on time and carrying beer in his pack!

Oh so you're one of hose trendy 29er riders eh Tamjam (this is where the winky smiley comes in handy).
    Custom 29er even... boy you got it bad don't you.

See link to find out how I feel about those 29ers: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=185186

bike geek
    (this is where the winky smiley comes in handy).
    Whatever happened to that smiley anyway? It often came in handy. I liked the little smooch it gave at the end...

Oh, and yes, I'm waaaay down that 29er path...2 currently...waking up in the middle of the night with cold sweats thinking about a potential 3rd...just throwin' good money after bad I guess...

Hope to see that fine new Retro of yours one day.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Whatever happened to that smiley anyway? It often came in handy. I liked the little smooch it gave at the end...

Oh, and yes, I'm waaaay down that 29er path...2 currently...waking up in the middle of the night with cold sweats thinking about a potential 3rd...just throwin' good money after bad I guess...

I got rid of that smiley. Too many unexpected encounters...

Yes, the 29 thing will go down in infamy like that singlespeed thing.

For now, I'm hooked though! I sold my gearie. $2800!!! I can buy more 29ers now. Yey!!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO%3AIT&rd=1

fc

I can't wait to ride it! (first broken rear brake, then poison oak... I managed to screw up the fork yesterday)

I'll give a shout next time I head out Marin way.

mtbr member
    Bonus check.. another one on the 29er bandwagon coming..

What ratio are you guys running with the 29er SS? I searched the 29er forum, but it seems to vary based on region. I figure you guys ride the same trails. Probably want something more gentle on the knees than the 26" SS.

aka baycat
    Also Ed for carrying the Wet Wipes I think that fended off the PO that we could have gotten on that trail we "found"

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    Bonus check.. another one on the 29er bandwagon coming..

What ratio are you guys running with the 29er SS? I searched the 29er forum, but it seems to vary based on region. I figure you guys ride the same trails. Probably want something more gentle on the knees than the 26" SS.
    I have 34 x 18 on it now, but I think I'd do well to put a 20 tooth freewheel on that thing.

I have a 36 x 18 on my 26" SS and the 29er still feels bigger.

mtbr member
    I thought about that. I also made a SS agreement with Dave.
    So I'm glad I could be instrumental in getting you guys out there to do a ride on your single speed that a lot of people wouldn't do with gears.
    Yeah, I wouldn't have tried it without the encouragement, but if felt really good afterwards. Now I know that I can do any ride on my SS, instead of going through the next six months evaluating every ride as to whether or not it I could do the ride on my SS.

bike geek
    I have 34 x 18 on it now, but I think I'd do well to put a 20 tooth freewheel on that thing.
    Ooof...tough guy comin' thru....;-)

I ride 34:21 on my 29er. Back when I rode 26" SS I had 34:18, and I believe my current gear is a tad easier on a gear inches basis.

Ooof...tough guy comin' thru....;-)

I ride 34:21 on my 29er. Back when I rode 26" SS I had 34:18, and I believe my current gear is a tad easier on a gear inches basis.
    More like walking-up-the-hills guy

Members who have read this thread: 0