getting water refills- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

getting water refills

Remember the thread about a certain store and whether or not it was legal to refill a water bottle? That got pretty controversial because a new poster was using this web site and another to slam a decent business. But left unanswered was the question of whether you legally could refill a water bottle at a store or deli. Here's the California Health Code:

According to California Health and Safety Code Section 114075:

(a)Except for refilling a consumer's drinking cup or container without contact between the pouring utensil and the lip-contact area of the drinking cup or container, food employees shall not use tableware, including single-use articles, soiled by the consumer, to provide second portions or refills.

(b)Except as specified in subdivision (d), self-service consumers shall not be allowed to use soiled tableware, including single-use articles, to obtain additional food from the display and serving equipment.

(c)Consumers shall be notified that clean tableware is to be used when they return to self-service areas such as salad bars and buffets.

(d)Drinking cups and containers may be reused by self-service consumers if refilling of a consumer's drinking cup is done without contact between the pouring utensil and the lip contact area of the cup or container.

(e)Personal take-out beverage containers, such as thermally insulated bottles, nonspill coffee cups, and promotional beverage glasses, may be refilled by employees or the consumer if refilling is a contamination-free process as specified in subdivision (a).

mtbr member
    Edit: nevermind
    Last edited by Brewtality; 09-09-2010 at 09:50 PM.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It was something of an interesting coincidence that shortly after the thread here, there was a thread on the Arizona board about getting water refills at a store, and I also got an e-mail from a colleague inquiring about health codes and refilling give away promotional glasses.

Apparently, there is a state law in Arizona that makes it a criminal act to refuse someone water. But the overall sentiment on that thread was that it would be poor form for riders to make a habit of going into a store near a trail head just for free water refills.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The OP is why politicians can pass all this crap that no one normal gets and is 1200 pages long. Can they refill a water bottle takes 5 sections??

Anyway..........................Can Summit Store refill it or not????

Or, are we required to ask for 4 cups of water in a disposable cup? I try and carry what I need, but if something happened and I lost a bottle on the road or something, I would ask.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg

Anyway..........................Can Summit Store refill it or not????

Or, are we required to ask for 4 cups of water in a disposable cup?
    Personally, I think it is pretty straightforward and common sense, if you take the time to think it through.

The answer to your question is yes, they can, as long as they aren't pressing the mouth of your bottle against something they are going to press the mouth or rim of another cup against. Handle your bottle? Yes. Pour water into it from a faucet? Yes.

I've seen beverage dispensers activated by pressing the rim of a glass or cup against a paddle. That's where you only want clean containers coming into contact with the lever. Make sense?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Is there a link to the other thread, or is not available any longer? Do you have a link to the Az forum too?

Why is the subject controversial ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_Ranger
    Is there a link to the other thread, or is not available any longer? Do you have a link to the Az forum too?

Why is the subject controversial ?
    Here is the link to the Arizona thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=645130

I don't know if the other thread is still available. I tried pretty hard to be neutral in my language with this thread. Briefly, someone created a new account, and posted a link to a review site, slamming a certain store because, according to their story, the store had refused to give water to a cyclist after the cyclist had spent money on food. This turned into a flame fest over whether this was legal, whether the cyclist was a freeloader or unprepared, and whether or not refilling a water bottle would be a violation of the health code. Pretty much everyone agreed it was in poor form to create a new account to slam the business, but there was much discussion over other points.

banned
    I take everything I read on the net with grain of salt.

My favorite sandwich at the Summit Store is the BLT. Yummy.

The next time I'm getting one from the deli counter, I'll ask them to fill up my water bottle and see what they tell me.

Members who have read this thread: 0