mtbr member
    May 2011

Getting a frame repainted

Long story short - I had to warranty a steel frame that cracked in under 2 years, the only color replacement frame the company had available was glossy white that glows in the dark.............I night ride a lot in Marin and a glowing, high visibility frame isn't exactly ideal for being stealth....

So I need to get this frame repainted, nothing fancy, pretty much whatever is the cheapest solid dark color. I've called a few powder coating places and auto body shops and gotten ballpark quotes of $200-$400, which is a bit steeper than I want to pay.

Any suggestions for low cost frame repainting that doesn't involve a rattle can?

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by IrieRider View Post
    Long story short - I had to warranty a steel frame that cracked in under 2 years, the only color replacement frame the company had available was glossy white that glows in the dark.............I night ride a lot in Marin and a glowing, high visibility frame isn't exactly ideal for being stealth....

So I need to get this frame repainted, nothing fancy, pretty much whatever is the cheapest solid dark color. I've called a few powder coating places and auto body shops and gotten ballpark quotes of $200-$400, which is a bit steeper than I want to pay.

Any suggestions for low cost frame repainting that doesn't involve a rattle can?
    See if you can talk a painter or powder coater into spraying it when they spray a car, in the same color. You may have to prep it.

I've gotten a couple of bikes powder coated for $75 for the frame using a powder the guy had and that included bead blasting. But I'm on the other side of the country from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Moderator Moderator
    My neighbor used this on his bike with good results.

https://us.spray.bike/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    My neighbor used this on his bike with good results.

https://us.spray.bike/
    Thanks for the tip on that stuff! Looks like I'd need to sand the frame down since it is new from the factory (and also to hopefully dull "glow" a bit!)

What kind of bike did your neighbor repaint?

I'd still rather just pay to have it done rather than deal with paint dust and setting up a spray area in my driveway/garage and also just to get it done quicker.

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks for the tip on that stuff! Looks like I'd need to sand the frame down since it is new from the factory (and also to hopefully dull "glow" a bit!)

I'd still rather just pay to have it done rather than deal with paint dust and setting up a spray area in my driveway/garage and also just to get it done quicker.
    A fixed gear bike, looked good but took some time. I believe Calfee paints frames?

Dropshot Champ!

Squid Bikes in sacramento does alot of frame painting with Spray.Bike. Might be worth sending them an email about painting something for you.

It's a longshot, they're pretty busy with cross racing season, but might be worth a quick email.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    D&D cycles in San Lorenzo.