mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Get out of Norcal vacation ideas for mid April

I have a week off in mid April and will take the wife and kids on my mountain bike vacation. Moab was my goal until I found out about some giant Jeep festival the same week.

Where should a Norcal rider go in April if they don't want to ride in Norcal? No planes, trains, or Southern California trails (that's where the in-laws live). We've taken big road trips several times a year since toddlers, no problem with big drives 10+hrs.

Ridden from Tahoe to Santa Cruz and Whistler to San Diego.

My kids ride full susp 24 bikes.
    The 11 yr old good for 12+ miles/1500+ ft climbing(hates climbing like a true bro-bruh)and loves anything downhill.
    9 yr old good for 8-10 miles 1000 ft climbing, pretty rides with flowers climbs like a goat, downhills like -- hey flower, lets stop.
    Wife likes paved bike paths, hiking, and not endoing on her face like the last time i took her Mt bike riding at Granite Bay

If not Moab, where? Sedona? St George? Oregon? Washington?

Moderator Moderator
    Bend, OR? Oakridge, OR?

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    ^^ Bend is perfect for the family adventure you describe, but I think the timing is off. In April, it still gets below freezing most nights and there's still gonna be patchy snow on lower Bend trails and heavier snow on the upper trails -- plus winter deadfalls as many trails will not be cleared yet. Bend is fantastic but with at least half the trail system shut down I think it wouldn't be the right time to go.

April is a great time to visit the Central Coast. SLO and SB should be viable, although most trails are probably too rough and steep for the little ones. Since you've ruled out Norcal, I would look into Sedona. But if you haven't ridden in Mendocino/JDSF, you should go there instead (as long as you are good with routefinding and using a map). Kids love Mendo and the trails are endlessly fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Sedona is some amazing riding. April would be perfect weather. Ridden there many many times

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Sedona is rad. Beautiful landscapes and not too hot in April.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    +1 to Sedona, I went beginning of March last year and it was perfect. It snowed the first day as I drove in and was a little chilly in the mornings and evenings before sunset, but all that meant was hero dirt and fewer people on the trails. I've been thinking about going back ever since, probably making another March run. There's also some good variety nearby if you're willing to drive to Prescott or Flagstaff, though Flagstaff is much higher elevation so I could see snow being an issue there in April (no idea if it actually is).

mtbr member
    I think the goods in Oregon/Washington will probably have too much snow still in April. I would go with St. George/Hurricane. I love that area and have always had beautiful weather when I visit it April/May. Tons of amazing trails out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I would go for Sedona, havenít ridden there but did this exact thing last April with my fam and went to St George / Hurricane and had a good time but Mesa riding isnít really my jam. Think Sedona looks more like Moab-type riding.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    sedona or hurricane

mtbr member
    I know a guy and gal that every year they pull their little trailer and bikes from OR, and hit the west slope, then into the canyonlands, down to Sedona, hauls over to Yuma, AZ of all places, into SD and finishes his trip by working at Sea Otter for two weeks.

Speaking of Oregon. Anything north of say, Ashland is going to be cold AF. I've been to Oakridge in May and it was still too wet.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    That's a great time of year to go to Hurricane or Sedona, but I'm not sure about Hurricane for kids--or the bike-path wife!
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Sedona has tons of family friendly riding. Bike park. Bike paths. The works. And tons of legit trails. I've ridden moab too but I think Sedona is better

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You didnít say if you were camping or not. If so, I would also throw out Tucson, AZ. All the technical riding you want from Gilbert Ray CG at Tucson Mountain Park and the Sonoran Desert Museum is right there plus Saguaro National Park and Old Tucson. Karchner Caverns are close as well.
    In Oracle you can camp at Catalina State Park and head out and find the goods at that end of the valley right from camp. Bike path is right across the street and all the trappings of a big town are close by.

Flowers will be good that time of the year depending on rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yet another vote for Sedona. I was there late March this year. The weather will be perfect in April and it won't be horribly crowded. Probably my favorite place to ride. Just don't expect sustained downhills of more than a few minutes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Yet another vote for Sedona. I was there late March this year. The weather will be perfect in April and it won't be horribly crowded. Probably my favorite place to ride. Just don't expect sustained downhills of more than a few minutes.
    Yeah, this is worth noting. Sedona is definitely XC-style riding in the sense that you'll be riding up and down, doing a lot of pedaling through tech, and the descents are short. I think pretty much everything is between 4300 and 4800 elevation, the town itself is at 4300.