mtbr member

Gateway Trail System in MT Shasta

Does anyone ride or know if the Gateway trail system in Mt Shasta is rideable right now or during the winter? I have a few work trips up that way over the next month and wanted to ride them if they are rideable. Any intel would be great.

mtbr member
    Snow line looks pretty high today, so those trails should be ride-able at the moment:
    https://visitmtshasta.com/live-cams/
    But the town does get buried with snow during the winter.
    I'm sure some locals will chime in with better info...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I haven't been there beyond summer months -no time when daylight starts to shorten in late summer.

Max elevation of what I've seen up there is about 4500 (GPS of my rides). Not sure how much gain above that there is, as part of the Gateway network.

Saturday the snow elevation was about 1200'. Tuesday the temperature at Mt. Shasta Ski Park was about 36 and rain. Chances are some, or all, of snow at Gateway will have melted. I'm too far from there to get eyes on the area though. It is entirely possible to have some snow in the full time shaded areas.

The weather report for the upcoming week has snow levels in the region to be 4000 to 4500. That doesn't mean it will snow there, but as average that is the report.
    In years past some regions east has has snow at 5000' and at the same time, the snow level of actively falling snow has been 7000 ft in the Mt. Shasta area.

Highway 89 near the Skipark sits about 4500' and currently has snow (select previous images on the page that loads).
    Snowman Hill

If you have time time to give, a trip down towards Redding would offer snowless trails.

mtbr member
    Gateway should be mostly free of snow, especially the lower parts by the tracks. However, everything up here is very wet after weeks of storms. Don't go near redding without checking with locals. The Carr fire burned most of the local trail system. Redding was hit with 2018's worst tornado. An EF 3 with 140+ mph winds, 100 meters wide, on the ground for 1 1/2 hours, and about 2700 degrees in the center.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    All of the trails in Redding are open and clear.
    There are some trails at Whiskeytown not yet open, a few of them have opened.

Surprising that Gateway still isn't under snow. Is that going to change in the next day or 2 with the system arriving now?
    I think I heard snow level up around 7000' later in the week but that may have been rumors.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Gateway should be mostly free of snow, especially the lower parts by the tracks. However, everything up here is very wet after weeks of storms. Don't go near redding without checking with locals. The Carr fire burned most of the local trail system. Redding was hit with 2018's worst tornado. An EF 3 with 140+ mph winds, 100 meters wide, on the ground for 1 1/2 hours, and about 2700 degrees in the center.
    As Forest Rider pointed out, everything except some stuff in whiskey town is open and riding great! With the rains, our trails at there best. If there is a time to visit Redding and ride, it's now. Come summer its going to be hot and now we don't have much shade which was our only saving grace.
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org