Thread: Garage storage

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Garage storage

Anyone have recommendations for secure garage storage? Had to make some room and sadly my wife kicked the bike to the garage.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    What you need is a ground anchor. Drill deeeep. Maybe to bedrock.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/us/commuti...-anchor-47817/

Garage storage-screen-shot-2019-01-08-10.26.57-am.jpg

Then you need a bigass lock. I use Abus. Something really long and non-portable is good.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/best-bike-locks

This is for the bike RIIIIIIIIGHT??
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Ok great. Yes this is for the bike! Haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    What you need is a ground anchor. Drill deeeep. Maybe to bedrock.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/us/commuti...-anchor-47817/
    GNARLY! For now mine is secured with a thick cable and basic key lock through a steel handle that is mounted into wall studs with 1/2" bolts. Leaning against wall. I want to get those ground anchors now.

Moderator Moderator
    Or a pit bull(s) who sleeps in the garage.

mtbr member
    I worry about this. I keep mine locked in a shed that has a regular door with deadbolt lock.

Kinda feel that if anyone can get through that, they can get through whatever lock I'm using too.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

fc
    head minion Administrator
    If live in SF, this is essential. I know of a couple cases where thieves watch you take your bike in the garage on the weekends. And on the work day, they get to work and raid your entire garage.

Note that any lock can be broken with time and tools. But very, very few thieves will take the time and the effort. Most are in/out in a couple minutes.
    IPA will save America

Meatbomb
    A wooden door frame is much easier to get through than a lock like the one suggested..The object is to slow them down as much as possible. Punks don't like to spend a lot of time stealing your stuff and they probably made a lot of noise getting into the shed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    I worry about this. I keep mine locked in a shed that has a regular door with deadbolt lock.

Kinda feel that if anyone can get through that, they can get through whatever lock I'm using too.
    Yeah but at least we're locking them. I bet over half the people we know do not lock them at all. Cause a delay at least is how i see it.

For what it's worth, you could even go as far as removing a wheel, assuming the pos is planning to ride it away. Hide the axle in your bike bag or in something you would need for a ride. Anything to thwart the ahole. Set the chain to small cog. Of course none of this really matters if they grab and throw in a vehicle. One of the old school hacks was setting your cantilevers locked to rim.

I've always thought about tying fishing line to something as a trip wire. Maybe tie some aluminum cans to the line. Also, booby trap shotgun to the knee caps is appealing to me.

mtbr member
    If I was a thief I would just cut the carbon frames and sell the parts. Less traceable and it doesnít really matter what locks the owner uses. Has anyone seen/heard of this happening first hand?

mtbr member
    Aside from the deadbolt and cable lock, the only other thing I've done is use super long screws to secure the deadbolt plate into the adjacent stud. Not sure if that would help at all, but my dad (who I refer to on all things construction related) said it would be helpful.

Not helpful.
    Wife goes in the garage, bike stays inside.

Duh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    I've always thought about tying fishing line to something as a trip wire. Maybe tie some aluminum cans to the line. Also, booby trap shotgun to the knee caps is appealing to me.
    Knowing my luck, I would wander into the garage half awake and lose a kneecap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbtsc View Post
    Knowing my luck, I would wander into the garage half awake and lose a kneecap.
    Me too lol.

mtbr member
    Crazy how quickly someone can get into a garage. Happy my garage is turned away from the street so people can't see inside when I do open it.

mtbr member
    Me too lol.
    We can fine tune this!

Nobody
    I have been thinking about installing cameras and motion detectors linked to a mobile app. around the garage doors and side door.

Right now, I have all the bikes in a giant pvc rack and cable locks on each bike going through studs in the frame of the garage. I have all wood construction so no concrete anchors for me.

If my brother-in-law ever moves out of the basement, they will be moved inside...
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My house has a 'post tensioned' foundation, the garage floor has a stamp that says 'don't cut or core post-tensioned' , any suggestions from construction folks on what to do in my situation?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyday View Post
    Crazy how quickly someone can get into a garage. Happy my garage is turned away from the street so people can't see inside when I do open it.
    Do they just kick in a side door, or is it the actual roll-up door that is a security issue?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    My house has a 'post tensioned' foundation, the garage floor has a stamp that says 'don't cut or core post-tensioned' , any suggestions from construction folks on what to do in my situation?
    Mine is the same. I've drilled a few holes for expansion anchors here and there in my garage floor. If you are drilling a 3/8" dia hole x 3" deep with a home depot cordless drill with hammer function, you will be OK. Just pay attention and you will know if you hit rebar or PT strand (you will know because the sound and feel will be different- and you won't be gaining depth). Odds are you will hit neither rebar nor PT. If you do, just move over a couple inches and try again. You can't to do any real damage to a 1/2" dia PT strand with a wimpy drill and concrete/masonry bit.

Alternatively, you can score the concrete with an angle grinder (with a concrete cutting wheel) and epoxy a steel plate anchor to the floor. Make the scores 3/8" deep by 1/4" wide and thoroughly scrub and wash out all the dust/loose chips. Simpson Set XP or similar anchor-grade epoxy will stick that steel plate down like nobody's business (drill some holes in the anchor plate so the epoxy has some bite on the plate). If you ever need to remove the plate, you'll need to get a torch and get the plate red hot, then knock it sideways with a sledge.

Moderator Moderator
    Occasionally thieves get what they deserve.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/08/sport...ntl/index.html

Garage storage-190108153035-01-ufc-polyana-viana-reversed-split-exlarge-169.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    When I lived in Stockton I used a concrete saw to cut out a hole in the slab. Used rebar under the slab and then poored the concrete back with rebar securing thick metal loops below the top of the slab. Used the best chains possible to secure bikes to that.

But the first step was 2*4 across the side door, a two sided keyed deadbolt into the house, and Moto straps holding the garage door from being opened from the outside, along with hidden alarms that would sound if the garage was opened. Oh, and if I had a window, bars woulda been on the inside.

Theifs might get into my house, but I was damned if they were stealing shit from my garage. If they did get in it was gonna be a bitch to get stuff out.

Moderator Moderator
    Another thing that is very useful is an Amazon Cloud Cam. I get alerts instantly on my phone when someone (usually my kids) enters my garage.

mtbr member
    Do they just kick in a side door, or is it the actual roll-up door that is a security issue?
    As I don't have a side door, I thought I was pretty safe as far as someone getting in my garage..so I googled it and found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDw8DOblGB8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyday View Post
    As I don't have a side door, I thought I was pretty safe as far as someone getting in my garage..so I googled it and found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDw8DOblGB8
    Wow.... I guess I feel better about my shed with securely locking deadbolt door.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Another thing that is very useful is an Amazon Cloud Cam. I get alerts instantly on my phone when someone (usually my kids) enters my garage.
    you using these for general home monitoring? if so how many? i want to install some at my house.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    you using these for general home monitoring? if so how many? i want to install some at my house.
    I am and they are awesome. I have one in my garage and one that shows my driveway. Planning to put more in my backyard etc. Very, very easy to install and they store video free for one day, longer if you want to pay. Also alerts me on my phone instantly if there is movement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a Kryptonite cable that locks all my bikes together in the garge. I've thought about getting something stronger and locking it to an anchor, but it would add some inconvenience which I think is outweighed by my assessment that if anyone gets into my garage with tools in hand, I'm pretty much screwed anyway. The cable is there to deter any opportunistic walk-by thieves. I have a Nest cam in the garage, but I believe the main utility is for me to be able to check that my family members have not left the garage door open. Thieves don't seem deterred by cameras. I think that once you get targeted by a determined thief, it's hard to stop them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Iíve even seen where they just use their crack/meth torch and burn a hole in the plastic window on the roll up door then like in that video in other post they use a bent hanger to flip the safety latch.
    Bolt lock your roll up door on inside, same with ped door, if you have a window run bars across and bolt them into studs. If your ped door is wood replace it with metal one. Iíve done all of this and my garage is alarmed. Lastly never ever leave your garage open. I used to have it open when working in front yard but not any more.