Ft Ord Saturday 4-15-06 group ride- Mtbr.com
    smw
    pedal pusher

Ft Ord Saturday 4-15-06 group ride

Hey the suns out, its time to ride. Meet at East Garrison on Saturday morning say 9:30am. Lets get a roll call, whose gonna be there. The weather report says rain late Saturday, so ride while its nice. If there is enough people we may break into two groups.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

mtbr dismember

Planned route?

What would be the route? After going to Ord last weekend for Sea Otter I was thinking of doing it this Saturday. It looked very beautiful. I've only started from East Garrison once, many years ago and I found it pretty sandy and difficult to ride. But post specific directions to the meeting place just in case. I know Ord dries pretty well and the forecast doesn't look too bad. I'm slower than most but I want to ride all day.

mtbr member
    I'm there with a friend from So. Cal. There are couple of more MTBR around my area who are planning to show up as well, but I will let them confirm.

Due to the shape that I am in and time constraint, I am planning to do about 15-20 mile ride. This might lead into 2 groups, fast and slow group

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    What would be the route? After going to Ord last weekend for Sea Otter I was thinking of doing it this Saturday. It looked very beautiful. I've only started from East Garrison once, many years ago and I found it pretty sandy and difficult to ride. But post specific directions to the meeting place just in case. I know Ord dries pretty well and the forecast doesn't look too bad. I'm slower than most but I want to ride all day.

Sandy, not really, its been firm packed as of late. We dont usually have a planned route, but we ride between 25 to 28 miles. We usually head up towards 15 to 22 and drop down to the top of 50 up and over to 60(sand pit) descend 60 then climb either 82 or 49. This is where the route varies. Sometimes we will head over and descend goat trail(I think thats 41), we almost always decend 50 and climb up 50 on the other side of the road, like the XC course at Sea Otter. Other times we wil;l descend 42 which is the Red Rock trail I think. Then work across towards the ols hospital and venture around on alot of zig-zag trails that dont seem to have names or numbers. Lots of ups and downs, and mostly single track.

To get to East Garrison take 101 south to Luarel exit, turn right then immediate left. Take this road (names escapes me) to Blanco Rd and turn right, follow Blanco till it dead ends(Reservation) and turn left. Park by the old barracks about 2 miles up on the right. Or we can meet somewhere along the way and you can follow me,

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

aka dan51
    Get out your map.....

We'll start the ride over in the area by trails 23-25, then maybe down 23 to 61, up to 22 (or was it 20?), down 60, up 82 to 85 (85/8 will loop back into 82), over to 11, down 49, up 43, down 41 to Jack's rd, back to 41 (back track to the 41/10 junction), down 43 (or we can go over to 42 ), then hike a bike up 49 (short and steep, but avoids miles of road riding). From the 49/11 junction (where the rock is), we can either head over 11 to 50 and down, or just go straight down 49. Then up 50 to the road. From here people can go back to the car via 15 and get about 18-20 miles in, OR we can go up through the land mine field and head over to the west side for more easy miles (many miles with very little climbing). It's not exactly the SO course, but most of the trails in this route were on the SO course.

If people want to grind up long fire roads for a better workout, we can easily replace going up 43 with Alpine/10 trails.

BTW, we're in.

-Dan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    weather permitting i'm in...looking forward to trying to keep up with steve!

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Get out your map.....

We'll start the ride over in the area by trails 23-25, then maybe down 23 to 61, up to 22 (or was it 20?), down 60, up 82 to 85 (85/8 will loop back into 82), over to 11, down 49, up 43, down 41 to Jack's rd, back to 41 (back track to the 41/10 junction), down 43 (or we can go over to 42 ), then hike a bike up 49 (short and steep, but avoids miles of road riding). From the 49/11 junction (where the rock is), we can either head over 11 to 50 and down, or just go straight down 49. Then up 50 to the road. From here people can go back to the car via 15 and get about 18-20 miles in, OR we can go up through the land mine field and head over to the west side for more easy miles (many miles with very little climbing). It's not exactly the SO course, but most of the trails in this route were on the SO course.

If people want to grind up long fire roads for a better workout, we can easily replace going up 43 with Alpine/10 trails.

BTW, we're in.

-Dan
    Wow, I dont have my map handy right now, but that made me dizzy.

Sean

ps- BRUCE, ATTN. BRUCE, RIDE SATURDAY AT FT ORD

mtbr dismember

I'm in

I'm in. Looks like we can all find someone to ride with. But gotta go down the Goat Trail and do as much singletrack as possible. I expect to ride all day even if it is slow.

Edit: map on my site

aka dan51
    But gotta go down the Goat Trail and do as much singletrack as possible.
    DAMN RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! The ride will be about 90% single track.

Goooooooooooooooooooooat!

smw
    pedal pusher
    [QUOTE=Wherewolf]I'm in. But gotta go down the Goat Trail and do as much singletrack as possible. .
    [COLOR="Red"]

Well if we must ride Goat, I guess, since you put it
    that way. Twist my arm, Goat it is.

Sean

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    damn, damn, damn, damn, damn!!!!!!!!!!

I wanna go, but I can't - urghhhh

have fun!
    Click Here for Forum Rules

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    damn, damn, damn, damn, damn!!!!!!!!!!

I wanna go, but I can't - urghhhh

have fun!
    You must have a pretty damn good excuse. It's been raining for days......
    Broken leg?
    Stolen bike?
    Still tired from last weekend?
    Doing taxes at the last minute?
    ?????

Groveland Trail Heads

I am in and I just got my

cytomax, if anyone is looking for a great deal on this stuff I just got 4.5 lbs. for $31.90 total cost. I got it the next day after I ordered it without paying for overnight shipping I am ready to ride just have to decide on which tires.... the 2.2 Bontrager(super slick- no tread)"Hank" tires or my regular trail tires. I am wondering how the Bontragers would ride in the sand

Nick, why can't you make it? I missed you last time you were at planet Ord...
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

tattoo work...then immediately up to SF for a wild drunk fest of a party...life's hard man

I'm gonna try to get out Sunday sometime though

have a good time on Sat

You must have a pretty damn good excuse. It's been raining for days......
    Broken leg?
    Stolen bike?
    Still tired from last weekend?
    Doing taxes at the last minute?
    ?????

Quote Originally Posted by scheckler
    Nick, why can't you make it? I missed you last time you were at planet Ord...
    Dude....it totally sucks too...I just got my 04 TALAS RLC back from PUSH...urghhhhh

We will ride again some day...what's it been???? 8 or 9 months - ugh

Groveland Trail Heads

Congrats

Dude....it totally sucks too...I just got my 04 TALAS RLC back from PUSH...urghhhhh

We will ride again some day...what's it been???? 8 or 9 months - ugh
    on getting the Talas push'd. I have the exact same fork and had it push'd last year when it was time for the 18 month maintenance. You are going to like it If you get bored during your tat work maybe I should work out some kind of entertainment for you since you are not far from my house. Anyway, we will miss you and YES, we will ride again

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm in

......... now where did I put that bike?

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    I'm in

You mean you are bringing the bike?
    Now where did I put my video camera

Sean

aka dan51
    I'm in

YAY, now it's a party. You AND Dwight?! wow. See if you can get Steve off the couch as well.

-Dan

mtbr member
    Get out your map.....

BTW, we're in.

-Dan
    I am looking at the map and that made me dizzy in a good way

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by sungchang
    I am looking at the map and that made me dizzy in a good way
    Piece of cake. You'll have a great time.

On another note, I'll bring those Q towers so you can have a look.

-Dan

mtbr member
    Piece of cake. You'll have a great time.

On another note, I'll bring those Q towers so you can have a look.

-Dan
    I have done some of the routes (25, 23, 61, 22, 82, 50 and parts of 11), but I have yet to do, 60, 49, parts of 11, 43, 41, and Jack's Road, so I am looking forward to it. It's too bad that we don't get to hit 47 by the Laguna Seca track. That was a blast of 3 miles of singletrack.

As for Q towers, that would be great. I am talking to Sean about getting a hitch installed from him.

mtbr dismember

Driving directions

Quote Originally Posted by smw
    To get to East Garrison take 101 south to Laurel exit, turn right then immediate left. Take this road (names escapes me) to Blanco Rd and turn right, follow Blanco till it dead ends(Reservation) and turn left. Park by the old barracks about 2 miles up on the right.
    Is this correct? Just in case my cell phone # is 209-620-4964.

Slowest Rider

Do the sailor thing on Sunday!

tattoo work...then immediately up to SF for a wild drunk fest of a party...life's hard man
    You can't get drunk and tattooed (or is the other way around?) on the wharf on Sunday?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

drunk before tat =
    tat before drunk =

ink in santa cruz @ noon, party in sf all day/nite. trying to motivate hungover wife in hotel in sf on sunday so i can ride may be difficult at best...we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    You can't get drunk and tattooed (or is the other way around?) on the wharf on Sunday?

Slowest Rider

Yep, I'm coming

I have to make up for the great ride I missed last month. I'll be riding with SungChang and Stripes. Hopefully the slow group can hit Goat trail too.

Don't know if Wherewolf will join us or not. He's not that slow. I think the slow group will be going until 2PM or so, perhaps not long enough for Steve. But I don't need to ride with Steve now that I can just call him on his new cellphone instead. Oh wait, Steve's not a "social butterfly". NM

smw
    pedal pusher
    Is this correct? Just in case my cell phone # is 209-620-4964.

That is exactly correct. cell is 408-497-1562 just in case.

Sean

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I would love to go if I could hitch a ride from Bruce or Dwight.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarpa
    I would love to go if I could hitch a ride from Bruce or Dwight.

Holy cow, they're coming out of the wood work.
    How ya been Scarpa? Dwight may need some help
    putting the straight jacket on Bruce and getting him
    in the car, just to make sure he doesnt change his mind.

Sean

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've been fine. I had to get permission from Mrs. Scarpa for this ride since she's in her 7th month and not all that cheery lately. Of course living in a rainforest has dampened our spirits as well.

I'm itching to get on the bike again. Not so itching to get my butt kicked on the climbs.

smw
    pedal pusher
    I've been fine. I had to get permission from Mrs. Scarpa for this ride since she's in her 7th month and not all that cheery lately. Of course living in a rainforest has dampened our spirits as well.

I'm itching to get on the bike again. Not so itching to get my butt kicked on the climbs.

Ahh, the climbs are not that bad, cept 82, 49,11,43,10, well you get the point.

Sean

Paper or plastic?
    I have to make up for the great ride I missed last month. I'll be riding with SungChang and Stripes. Hopefully the slow group can hit Goat trail too.

Don't know if Wherewolf will join us or not. He's not that slow. I think the slow group will be going until 2PM or so, perhaps not long enough for Steve. But I don't need to ride with Steve now that I can just call him on his new cellphone instead. Oh wait, Steve's not a "social butterfly". NM
    Sounds like you got yourself a good group. It should be a fun ride. After SOC last w-e, it's now time to do house chores this w-e. You guys have fun.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Sounds like you got yourself a good group. It should be a fun ride. After SOC last w-e, it's now time to do house chores this w-e. You guys have fun.

There will be plenty of time for that next winter.
    Oh, gotta go to Home Depot, almost forgot.

Sean

mtbr member
    Ahh, the climbs are not that bad, cept 82, 49,11,43,10, well you get the point.

Sean
    Hehe I went down 82 instead of up. I took 50 up from the road instead of 49 up. 11 looked pretty hilly from the road. 43 and 10, and others haven't even touched yet. Sounds painful, but after all these rains, I don't care. I will just go slow and hope that my cramps don't kick in. I am so looking forward to hitting Planet Ord on Saturday.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Hehe I went down 82 instead of up. I took 50 up from the road instead of 49 up. 11 looked pretty hilly from the road. 43 and 10, and others haven't even touched yet. Sounds painful, but after all these rains, I don't care. I will just go slow and hope that my cramps don't kick in. I am so looking forward to hitting Planet Ord on Saturday.

I was just kidding about that, 82 is a beotch, and 49 up to the rock is brutal
    but very short. You'll be fine, suffering is good.

Sean

aka dan51
    You'll be itchin after the ride too. Poison Oak is running rampant out there. I currently have it worst than I ever have, and it is putting me in a bad mood.

-Dan

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Good to know.. I'll pack my big bottle of Tecnu.

mtbr member

What I'm I

reading this right, Bruce and Dwight are going, you guys always show up to a ride when I'm not going to be there, Well everbody have fun, Sticking it in Marin this weekend. I'm going to try to crank out 50 or so miles on the ss on Saturday, just going to leave from the house and go.

CrAzY AnNdY
    1man 1gear 1speed

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Mind if I join the ride? I'm not sure I've met anyone from here before, but I'll be visiting the area over the weekend and a ride sure sounds good!

NedwannaB

Like you have....

Quote Originally Posted by cRasHmAstER
    reading this right, Bruce and Dwight are going, you guys always show up to a ride when I'm not going to be there, Well everbody have fun, Sticking it in Marin this weekend. I'm going to try to crank out 50 or so miles on the ss on Saturday, just going to leave from the house and go.

CrAzY AnNdY
    ....another kinda bike?? The 575 is still a coatrack, yes?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by mjellis42
    Mind if I join the ride? I'm not sure I've met anyone from here before, but I'll be visiting the area over the weekend and a ride sure sounds good!
    Everyone is welcome. We'll have a fairly large group, so we'll be easy to spot.

-Dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    ....another kinda bike?? The 575 is still a coatrack, yes?
    Sold the 575 on the way down to le otter, I found it a good home and a owner that will care for it, Amber is the new owner here's a pic.

CrAzY ANdY
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1man 1gear 1speed

Groveland Trail Heads

This is going to be one

Everyone is welcome. We'll have a fairly large group, so we'll be easy to spot.

-Dan
    huge group ride This should be real fun.

Crashmaster can't go? We need to get a ride in with JMac, we had a good time during that Demo adventure. Hey Andy... I enjoy those rides when you just leave from your house, I did one of those after work today. The sun was shining and my bike was just glaring at me.. I had a nice ride along the coast

Paul, call me or pm me about transportation. Bruce is going but I do not know if Steve is going yet.

Dan, what is this about the poison oak? Are you in bad shape? You know how I like to scratch and I thought you did too. Is it really that bad?
    Last edited by scheckler; 04-13-2006 at 09:56 PM.

NedwannaB

Nice bike...

Sold the 575 on the way down to le otter, I found it a good home and a owner that will care for it, Amber is the new owner here's a pic.

CrAzY ANdY
    ....too! Hope you don't end up missing it when you test air the next time on the Hag.

Let's ride

CrAzY ANdY
    Amber's kinda a looker. I assume she got a good deal?

aka dan51
    Dan, what is this about the poison oak? Are you in bad shape? You know how I like to scratch and I thought you did too. Is it really that bad?
    About 30% of my right forearm is covered, and I got some on my right side, and some down by my.. um.... area . Luckily it's only in the neighborhood, and not actually visiting.

It's fun in small doses, but this is too much. I don't sleep much since I'm up all night scratching.

-Dan

mtbr member

Smile

[QUOTE=sungchang]I'm there with a friend from So. Cal. There are couple of more MTBR around my area who are planning to show up as well, but I will let them confirm. QUOTE]

I'll be there with SungChang coming from SoCal (Glendora). It'll be my first time out riding in the area, so I'm really looking forward to it. See y'all out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i'm coming down from the east bay. anyone else from up here doing the ride? i'll leave about 715 to give myself plenty of time to make the 930 meet....

should be fun, went for a short road ride yesterday and i am definitely in lousy shape right now!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    YAY, now it's a party. You AND Dwight?! wow. See if you can get Steve off the couch as well.

-Dan
    Steve's in. Dwight, Steve and I are all going to show up.

Maybe the planets are aligned

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    reading this right, Bruce and Dwight are going, you guys always show up to a ride when I'm not going to be there,

CrAzY AnNdY
    Bummer, Andy. It's been way too long since we've ridden together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Dwight. Let me know if you want to borrow some tires for ORD. I have some Bontrager Revolt Super X tires you can use. They are my favorite tire to race on at Ord.

mtbr dismember

Seriously allergic

You'll be itchin after the ride too. Poison Oak is running rampant out there.
    I'm seriously allergic so I won't take chances on a really closed in trail full of PO.

mtbr member
    Not to rain on the parade, but the Monterey Board of Stuporvisors closed off East Garrison, due to impending development. It won't be "officially" closed for a few weeks and you will still be able to access the trails from the parking area off of Reservation Road until then. Have a great ride.

Groveland Trail Heads

OK, now I am

About 30% of my right forearm is covered, and I got some on my right side, and some down by my.. um.... area . Luckily it's only in the neighborhood, and not actually visiting.

It's fun in small doses, but this is too much. I don't sleep much since I'm up all night scratching.

-Dan
    frightened Maybe I will wear my super sexy long legged black tights, you know how I love the spandex..... eww I am getting excited.

Groveland Trail Heads

I've been

Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    Ok, I've never been to Planet Ord before.. so, is it usually overcast? Windy? Sunny?

Lemme know please
    there a few times and I would recommend layers. The temps do change frequently. I am bringing long sleeves and long legged leggings because of the poison oak out there. I may get real warm but I won't be itching as bad. I would also check with your trusted weather predicter before you start your drive out there.

Look forward to riding with a bunch of people I have never ridden with. I guarantee we will have fun

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I'd like to join this ride with a couple others. Is there an A-ride leader? DMFT?

It would be cool if we could have a couple of groups and end together with a big beer fiesta.

francois

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I'd like to join this ride with a couple others. Is there an A-ride leader? DMFT?

It would be cool if we could have a couple of groups and end together with a big beer fiesta.

francois

what do ya have in mind, miles and elevation? The route Dan described is a great ride, and Im kinda wanting to ride with less stops and be around 30 miles in under 3 hours. Is that what your thinking?

Sean

fc
    what do ya have in mind, miles and elevation? The route Dan described is a great ride, and Im kinda wanting to ride with less stops and be around 30 miles in under 3 hours. Is that what your thinking?

Sean

Yes, that would be perfect. As long as the other riders have a leader too and are not pressured to go too fast, it's all good.

Can you add 25 miles of asphalt too?

fc

smw
    pedal pusher
    Yes, that would be perfect. As long as the other riders have a leader too and are not pressured to go too fast, it's all good.

Can you add 25 miles of asphalt too?

fc

Sure, ya wanna do road or dirt first? I guess Im bringing the SS and the road bike now. You like torture dont ya? Are you riding the SS, the Niner, or the BMC? Oh the choices a pimp must make.

Sean
    Last edited by smw; 04-14-2006 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member

francois
    beer? okay, I am (most likely ~90%) in.

anyone wanna carpool from SJ?

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    beer? okay, I am (most likely ~90%) in.

anyone wanna carpool from SJ?

Ive got room for one and alot of beer.

Sean

anyone bringing a bar-b-que?

Groveland Trail Heads

Oh yeah...

Sure, ya wanna do road or dirt first? I guess Im bringing the SS and the road bike now. You like torture dont ya?

Sean
    I am going to ride from my house to East Garrison just for a warm up- 40 miles? It would be asphalt

smw
    pedal pusher
    I am going to ride from my house to East Garrison just for a warm up- 40 miles? It would be asphalt

Sir, put down the pipe and step away.
    Is your pump malfunctioning?

Sean

Groveland Trail Heads

Good one...

Sir, put down the pipe and step away.
    Is your pump malfunctioning?

Sean
    that made me laugh

"But Officer it is a prescription, I have a medical exemption from the law..."

mtbr member
    Ive got room for one and alot of beer.

Sean

anyone bringing a bar-b-que?
    I'll take you up on that. check your PM shortly.

fc
    Sure, ya wanna do road or dirt first? I guess Im bringing the SS and the road bike now. You like torture dont ya? Are you riding the SS, the Niner, or the BMC? Oh the choices a pimp must make.

Sean
    I'm just bringing the Weber, and the Coleman. Both are fixed gear. Cause you know it's hard out there for a pimp!

francois

mtbr member
    Ok, I've never been to Planet Ord before.. so, is it usually overcast? Windy? Sunny?

Lemme know please
    Layers is probably the way to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Amber's kinda a looker. I assume she got a good deal?
    Thomas you going to join us as well? It might be the first time that we actually meet up

aka baycat
    ...riding local...next time plant ord
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 04-14-2006 at 06:19 PM.

smw
    pedal pusher
    there a few times and I would recommend layers. The temps do change frequently. I am bringing long sleeves and long legged leggings because of the poison oak out there. I may get real warm but I won't be itching as bad. I would also check with your trusted weather predicter before you start your drive out there.

Look forward to riding with a bunch of people I have never ridden with. I guarantee we will have fun

oh, guarantee huh? Someone got alot of sun yesterday.

It is not usually cold, but I too will wear arm and leg protection due to poison oak.

Sean

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    Not trying to gum up the works, but have you tried not parking at Garrison but instead oging to the Creekside Terrace trailhead? It's pretty much in the SE corner of Ord right where Reservation meets 68 about 4 mles from the Garrison Trailhead. There's a brand new lot, and it's much closer to all the 'most fun' trails (41-Goat, 44, 43, 10, 37, 75, 54, 50, 49, etc) and can make it up into the northern end (across eucalyptus) and go up 50 and hit the trails up there (down 15 to 14, up 67, then down and up Moab, across 80(?)then go across 22 down 60 and up 82 (think Sea Otter) and hit some more fun stuff on the way back to the trailhead.

It wouldn't be hard to make a 25ish mile loop that way.

About the Poison Oak, I've got some on my left leg from last Saturday - those damn plants are all over the place out there.

I'd join, but don't have much time on Sat, plus I usually hit the trails around Garrison during the week when I don't have much time (can ride from home) and save the weekends for driving over to Creekside Terrace and hitting the best singletrack.

Here's a sad fact - I could follow the trailnumbers in the proposed route in my head...I really should get out and ride more places.

Let's ride
    Sung, i'm thinking about it. There's better than a 50% chance i'll be out there.

I may also bring the skinny tire bike to get some miles in before or after the ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-chop
    Not trying to gum up the works, but have you tried not parking at Garrison but instead oging to the Creekside Terrace trailhead? It's pretty much in the SE corner of Ord right where Reservation meets 68 about 4 mles from the Garrison Trailhead. There's a brand new lot, and it's much closer to all the 'most fun' trails (41-Goat, 44, 43, 10, 37, 75, 54, 50, 49, etc) and can make it up into the northern end (across eucalyptus) and go up 50 and hit the trails up there (down 15 to 14, up 67, then down and up Moab, across 80(?)then go across 22 down 60 and up 82 (think Sea Otter) and hit some more fun stuff on the way back to the trailhead.

It wouldn't be hard to make a 25ish mile loop that way.

About the Poison Oak, I've got some on my left leg from last Saturday - those damn plants are all over the place out there.

I'd join, but don't have much time on Sat, plus I usually hit the trails around Garrison during the week when I don't have much time (can ride from home) and save the weekends for driving over to Creekside Terrace and hitting the best singletrack.

Here's a sad fact - I could follow the trailnumbers in the proposed route in my head...I really should get out and ride more places.
    thats where I usually start. for a couple of the pre- otter rides, the gate was open when I started riding (9:30 ish), and was locked by the time I was done (12:30 ish). I still park outside the gates. I think for this ride, its probably better to keep things the way they are since there are so many people going.

I just picked up a sixer for tomorrow. Now if I can hold of drinking em til then.

smw
    pedal pusher
    I just picked up a sixer for tomorrow. Now if I can hold of drinking em til then.[/QUOTE]

Ill be going by Bev-Mo on my way home.
    Did ya get directions to the house, or we can meet at trail Head cyclery.
    Whatever is easier for you.

Sean

mtbr dismember

I won't be riding with you!

... Im kinda wanting to ride with less stops and be around 30 miles in under 3 hours.... Sean
    I won't be riding with you! I don't like stopping but I'm about half that speed.

smw
    pedal pusher
    I won't be riding with you! I don't like stopping but I'm about half that speed.

The group that Dan51 leads will be a bit slower. I also think Big Larry may lead a group also. I will prolly do loops within the loop so as to cross paths, such as drop off 11 down 50 and right back up 49 to 11 again. There will be a group for all.

Francis is just firing me up for a painful hammerfest.

Sean

mtbr member
    Ill be going by Bev-Mo on my way home.
    Did ya get directions to the house, or we can meet at trail Head cyclery.
    Whatever is easier for you.

Sean
    I got directions. I'll just go to your place.. see you tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    BigLarry, SungChang, and I are going to be in the slow/short mileage group. I don't think I can do more than 15-20 miles, and I might have some new folks with me and I'm not sure what their endurance level is.
    You all can ride in the group that I'll be with. We'll make you feel fast........ by comparison No bike nazis in this group

Slowest Rider

You're NOT Joking???

The route Dan described is a great ride, and Im kinda wanting to ride with less stops and be around 30 miles in under 3 hours. Is that what your thinking?
    Yes, that would be perfect. ..Can you add 25 miles of asphalt too?
    I thought that was a nice funny taunt, until I realized you guys aren't joking.

I'm with Steve. I'll ride with you guys by waving from the parking lot.

mtbr member

30 miles in 3 hours, that's Sea Otter pace isn't it? There is no way I can do that, but I'm planning for more likely 20 miles in 3 - 4 hour actual riding time pace. That's if my body can take it at this stage.

The last time I was there with jimyoo, I ended up doing 20.4 miles in about 3 hours of riding time with 1.5 hours additional for lunch and taking care of my 7 cramps

Sung remember to take banana, banana, banana....

smw
    pedal pusher
    You all can ride in the group that I'll be with. We'll make you feel fast........ by comparison No bike nazis in this group

Yer killin me bruce. Talk about sandbaggin.

Sean

mtbr member
    Yer killin me bruce. Talk about sandbaggin.

Sean
    I was just about to say that

smw
    pedal pusher
    30 miles in 3 hours, that's Sea Otter pace isn't it? There is no way I can do that, but I'm planning for more likely 20 miles in 3 - 4 hour actual riding time pace. That's if my body can take it at this stage.

The last time I was there with jimyoo, I ended up doing 20.4 miles in about 3 hours of riding time with 1.5 hours additional for lunch and taking care of my 7 cramps

Sung remember to take banana, banana, banana....

I think the XC races were around 1:40 to be in the top 20 or so, so it may take a bit more then 3 hours, but they did like 38 miles in 3:10 or something like that. Finishing on the Garrison side you can pile on the miles without alot of climbing too, so its not as fast as it may sound. The main thing in the A group ride is to keep moving. The climbs are not very long, cept Goat Trail back to the top, that can be a climb, and 82 is a steep #[email protected]%^!

Sean

mtbr member
    I think the XC races were around 1:40 to be in the top 20 or so, so it may take a bit more then 3 hours, but they did like 38 miles in 3:10 or something like that. Finishing on the Garrison side you can pile on the miles without alot of climbing too, so its not as fast as it may sound. The main thing in the A group ride is to keep moving. The climbs are not very long, cept Goat Trail back to the top, that can be a climb, and 82 is a steep #[email protected]%^!

Sean
    82 was real fun coming down, but I remember the steepness. For the slow group, we might make a detour...take fireroad up then come down the 82 (it's a possibility)

fc

That was a joke. Although SMW thinks I'm serious.

Tell you what. I'll bring my stationarybike.com to the parking lot and we can spin as the beer and barbecue get ready.

Who's got a grill? I don't think my tiny car can handle that.

fc

smw
    pedal pusher
    That was a joke. Although SMW thinks I'm serious.

Tell you what. I'll bring my stationarybike.com to the parking lot and we can spin as the beer and barbecue get ready.

Who's got a grill? I don't think my tiny car can handle that.

fc

Ive got room for it, but I dont have a small one or a gas one for that matter.

Sean

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So what the outlook for the slow group? timewise. 10:00am start - 2:00pm finish?

I bought some "time-off", but affraid 2:00pm at car may be sketchy.
    Will be first time in Ord and my legs and neck sore after skiing Kirkwood on Thursday.

singletrack bound

Keep an eye open for a couple of old fcks!

We have a three pack of SS's coming out of Giggling rd. over your way!

aka dan51
    Sounds like we're going to have an A+, A-, and D group.

On another note, my new brake lines arrived today, so I get to go home and swap them out. Hopefully I'll get it done and bled properly my the AM, otherwise I'll be on the hardtail I'm too old for that kind of abuse.

-Dan

mtbr dismember

I'm into LSD

I'm into LSD (long slow distance). I expect to ride at least six hours. Duration is more important than mileage for me. But nobody needs to worry about me. Ord is the first place I felt comfortable riding solo and it was my main solo winter ride until I discovered Annadel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm too old for that kind of abuse.

-Dan
    Y'know Dan..... You really are going to have to cut out the "boo hoo hoo.... I'm too old crap" You're barely out of diapers

My name is Mud
    Anyone interested in carpooling from east bay...Pleasant Hill???

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by derelict
    Anyone interested in carpooling from east bay...Pleasant Hill???

Hope your bringing the que

Sean

Slowest Rider
    I'm into LSD (long slow distance). I expect to ride at least six hours. Duration is more important than mileage for me. But nobody needs to worry about me. Ord is the first place I felt comfortable riding solo and it was my main solo winter ride until I discovered Annadel.
    We need to ride more together. That's my old-man style too. Only small difference is I like to stop and party a bit more than you, since stopping hurts your knees.

I gather you're not coming from your previous comment. I've not had too much trouble with PO in the past, but I'm trying to figure out how to cover myself with Tecnu or some other barrier considering the warnings.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalk
    So what the outlook for the slow group? timewise. 10:00am start - 2:00pm finish?
    Yep, that's about right.

Then meet up with the A group and stationary bike riders still in the parking lot and have a little "meet" that's optional.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Steve, Dwight AND Bruce!?

Steve's in. Dwight, Steve and I are all going to show up.

Maybe the planets are aligned

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.
    No joke on the planets aligning...

I'm in!
    Can we talk tires now?

mtbr dismember

I'm still in

We need to ride more together. That's my old-man style too. Only small difference is I like to stop and party a bit more than you, since stopping hurts your knees. I gather you're not coming from your previous comment.
    I'm still in. After being at Sea Otter last Sunday and seeing how green Ord was I had decided to ride there ASAP. But given my limited riding opportunities I need to take advantage of the one ride per week I get. So I tend to not fit into the typical ride categories. I'm too slow for "A" folks and I like to ride longer than the "less than A" folks. And, as you noted, I can't stop for very long because of the knees. So I'm just warning folks not to worry about me and to not take it personally if we don't all ride together. I also tend to start tuning out when we get into too much planning. I like the show up and ride approach

In the past I have encountered a few poison oak infested trails out there that I will not risk riding due to extreme sensitivity. I am extremely slow to warm up so expect me to be at the back of the pack for the first hour or so. I seem to have gotten slower this spring and I suspect you have caught up to me by now. I'm sure you can make one of my Tahoe rides as soon as the snow melts.

aka dan51
    Y'know Dan..... You really are going to have to cut out the "boo hoo hoo.... I'm too old crap" You're barely out of diapers
    hmmm, barely out of diapers. I'll have to come up with an excuse to reference that.
    Plus, the new brake lines are done so I will be able to ride in style and comfort.
    This should be fun.

-Dan

Groveland Trail Heads

You will be proud of me...

hmmm, barely out of diapers. I'll have to come up with an excuse to reference that.
    Plus, the new brake lines are done so I will be able to ride in style and comfort.
    This should be fun.

-Dan
    On my ride on Monday I heard the "metal" on "metal" sound when apllying my rear brake, new pad time. I got the new pads today, replaced the worn pads with the new pads and adjusted the pads until I am able to use one finger for braking. This took about 10 minutes. That is a first for me I had no pad left on the old pads, they were completely worn. Need to check brake pads more often

Dan, I am glad you will be comfy and "looking good"

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    In the past I have encountered a few poison oak infested trails out there that I will not risk riding due to extreme sensitivity.
    Y'all probably won't head over there, but I got hit with PO on trail 35 last Saturday - narrow trail with foliage right up on it. Most of the trails are pretty open (I'd stay off of 24/25/22 - first two for tight shrubbery/PO and the east half of 22 b/c it's almost unridable b/c it's so steep, loose, and sandy) and there aren't too many places where hitting foliage is too much of an issue.

If I see a big mass o'folks down on the southern end, I'll say hi - I'm going to start down there tomorrow (already have a ride planned) but if it's alright, I'd like to catch the next one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-chop
    Y'all probably won't head over there, but I got hit with PO on trail 35 last Saturday - narrow trail with foliage right up on it. Most of the trails are pretty open (I'd stay off of 24/25/22 - first two for tight shrubbery/PO and the east half of 22 b/c it's almost unridable b/c it's so steep, loose, and sandy) and there aren't too many places where hitting foliage is too much of an issue.

If I see a big mass o'folks down on the southern end, I'll say hi - I'm going to start down there tomorrow (already have a ride planned) but if it's alright, I'd like to catch the next one.
    Thanks for that info. I would also like to avoid narrow trails with POs. The ones that I was on the last time were great, but on this ride, I am venturing into new territory especially on the east side (goat area).

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for that info. I would also like to avoid narrow trails with POs. The ones that I was on the last time were great, but on this ride, I am venturing into new territory especially on the east side (goat area).
    All the trails around the goat(#41) are pretty open, and parts of the goat are totally open. Those are also some of the best trails, in my opinion, there. Oh, and if you find yourself riding up trail #43 in an effort to get to the Goat, I'd recommend continuing up the fireroad (Skyline) and taking 44 to get to 41. #43 is much more fun to go down, than it is to go up.

If y'all are looking to hit the Goat Trail from East Garrison, I'd suggest taking 14 to 67 to 80 to 22 to 60 to 82 down Jacks rd to the first fireroad on the right, left on the rd at the bottom of the hill, cut over to skyline and go up, left on 44, at the end turn right and go down 100ft to 41 (The Goat) all the way to the end, then left on jacks rd, a right on engineer canyon, up that to 37, left on 39, left on 54 (56?) to 75 across the rd to 10 (up and over the three b1tches) then right on 43, at the bottom, left on the fireroad, take the cut over to the other fireroad, spin up 49, then straight and down 49 to eucalyptus, across the rd and up 50, then up barloy canyon to 15 then bomb down 15 back onto barloy canyon rd. and back to East Garrison and beer. That will be a nice long multi-hour ride. hmmm sounds appealing - may do it myself!

Enjoy!

Greg

For example - the west end of the Goat - pic taken from the top of the hill right at the west end of Trail #10.

mtbr member

Awesome Ride!

Nice ride guys and great turn out. It was nice meeting all of you. The day started out rainny but it turned out to be a perfect day to ride once the rain stopped. I'm glad I didn't turn around on my drive to the ride. Thanks to all the ride leaders, especially Mike as he took me and wherewolf through some nice trails. It was definitely worth the couple hike-a-bike sections that we had to go through to get there. I'll be back in town in June and hope I can hook up with some of you to ride. Sung, it was nice to finally meet you. Let me know when you're in SoCal so that we can go for a spin. Happy trails.

CrAzY ANdY
    Buh Bye 575!!! Good work Andy

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Nice ride! Thanks Francois for not ditching the A-rider-wannabees.

Shiloh
    Can we talk tires now?

Groveland Trail Heads

Yes that was fun

Quote Originally Posted by VTVic
    Nice ride guys and great turn out. It was nice meeting all of you. The day started out rainny but it turned out to be a perfect day to ride once the rain stopped. I'm glad I didn't turn around on my drive to the ride. Thanks to all the ride leaders, especially Mike as he took me and wherewolf through some nice trails. It was definitely worth the couple hike-a-bike sections that we had to go through to get there. I'll be back in town in June and hope I can hook up with some of you to ride. Sung, it was nice to finally meet you. Let me know when you're in SoCal so that we can go for a spin. Happy trails.
    sorry I missed the extended part with Mike, I've done some of what you did with him on other rides. It was a nice riding with you Vic. Let me know when you are up here and I will take you through Santa Cruz.

Great meeting a lot of riders from this forum also great seeing with some who I have not ridden with since last year. I had fun... thanks everyone

Groveland Trail Heads

I talked with

Quote Originally Posted by The Law
    Nice ride! Thanks Francois for not ditching the A-rider-wannabees.

Shiloh
    Dan and I missed you all I still had fun My mind was with you "A" riders and we did meet at the "rock".

fc
    Here's my photos. Sorry they're kind of boring. This was the only scenery I saw spinning for three hours on my stationary bike.

1)larry aka 'big larry', sung aka 'sung chang', anne aka 'stripes'
    2)mike, brian, john, tom aka rensho
    3)shiloh aka 'the law', ryshel, kyle 'k-max' aka stationarybikereview.com
    4)rafael aka 'grrah'
    5)bruce and company

francois
    Last edited by fc; 04-15-2006 at 09:40 PM.

fc
    Thanks for the best ride of the year. If I get oak on my face, it will be the worst ride, but for right here, right now, it's the best!!

1)stripes' car
    2)victor from socal
    3)nativeson aka passed out at sea otter
    4)steve aka wherewolf
    5)oh and mad props to the magic bike

fc
    Last edited by fc; 04-15-2006 at 09:47 PM.

mtbr dismember

Nice meeting everyone

Nice meeting everyone. I gotta go back with the helmet cam real soon. Anybody interested? My pics are posted here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=182730

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    On the photos, for the one with the guys next to rensho, that's Dan King (Dan51) and Greg (not on the board but if he had a name it would be Player) But yeah, could be Tom and Dick.

Bruce, Dwight and Steve,
    Missed ya!
    Last edited by The Law; 04-16-2006 at 06:52 AM.
    Can we talk tires now?

Slowest Rider

Good job! A delightful day of Ride, Friends, Family

What an freak convergence of rain-weary MTBRs on Ft Ord this morning! Too many to count, and they never stood still long enough, but there must have been over 30. I figure it must be that Ft. Ord is one of the few open trails now and everyone was jumping into the sunshine, which almost happened. More like reduced rain.

It was a delight meeting so many of the MTBR crowd I hadn't seen for months, and some for the first time, and all in one place. We surprisingly ended up seeing each other quite a bit as the loops of riders going all over kept bumping into each other like crazy ants on a hill. And we finally all converged back at the cars a little after 2PM for beer and chips. The D crowd did 13 miles and 1500' climb, but I went back out and quickly got in another 3 miles and 400' in around Garrison. The A group did 25 miles I heard, not quite hitting their mark of 30 miles in 3 hours. Francois must have been feeling merciful today. Steve just kept going and going and going like an energizer bunny.

My 3 yo girl woke up from opening the garage door as I was leaving this morning and saw me in bike gear, and said "Yeah! Mountain Biking with Daddy!" Unfortunately I had to tell her to wait for later in the day after I got back and she broke into crying and tears the way 3 yo's do. Fortunately, after the MTBR ride I did a couple miles with her little legs spinning like mad on the single speed mini-Specialized bike of hers. Then after that, my 12 yo daughter wanted to do an 8 mile trip with daddy to nearby Lake Almaden. I was stunned as she rode her MTB for the first time in a year at near 16 MPH the whole way and back! I took her on some nearby urban single track too. Then I went for dinner with the wife.

So my day turned out to be absolutely delightful with multiple rides, old friends, and family.

Here's my numbers:
    13 miles with Stripes, and 3 more of her friends, and bumping into many other MTBR friends
    3 miles solo at Ft Ord
    2 miles with my 3 yo girl
    9 miles with my 12 yo girl
    27.5 Total Miles on my odometer today, with a delightful memory behind every mile.

smw
    pedal pusher

fc[/QUOTE]

The Niner is becoming a distraction, a bike that sells itself. Ahhhh I cant wait, only 93 days and counting.

Sean

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Great Ride!

That was a lot of fun! I got to meet some people from MTBR that I haven't seen in a while like Dan and Shiloh, Victor, Francois, Sean and many others. I also got to meet a few people for the first time like Larry and Ann.

I started out with the "D" group. We were quickly left behind by the ride leaders and really didn't know which way to go..... so we just took the trail that "looked" right.

Eventually, Dan found us and we were back with a larger group. Evidently Dwight, Steve and Mike went searching for us.... now we didn't know where they were.

We all eventually hooked up again. A few of the "D" group decided to head back (Larry, Stripes... I'm not sure if there were others.. Our group continued on to the Goat trail then later Red Rocks.

After Red Rocks, Dwight, Steve, CohenFive, Scarpa and Victor headed back while Mike (Nativeson) continued on with 2 other riders.

All in all, a great ride. 20 miles and 2200 feet of climbing.

fc

fc

The Niner is becoming a distraction, a bike that sells itself. Ahhhh I cant wait, only 93 days and counting.

Sean[/QUOTE]

Hey, that was a really fine ride you put together yesterday. As I sit here sipping lattes and watching animated radar rain maps, there's no better feeling than putting in the perfect ride yesterday.

To the group of 13, you guys are awright. We tried to whittle down the group to a smaller selection but no one would bow out. You are all part of Survivor Fort Ord - revolt from the stationary bike.

That was a really fun group. Too many laughs to mention. Y'all ride pretty darn good too.

The Niner bike is interesting. It is soo wrong but so right. It's got a bunch of parts that I would never put on my bike (bar ends, 30 inch bar, 80mm stem, nano tires, rigid fork) but put together, it's the magic kermit bike. I'm doing a pro review on it (yeah, I was on the clock yesterday, boo-hoo) and the best compliment I can give it is that twice now, I let other people borrow it and they promptly kicked my a$$ on the new bike.

francois

Groveland Trail Heads

WoooooHooooo

Great Ride!

That was a lot of fun! I got to meet some people from MTBR that I haven't seen in a while like Dan and Shiloh, Victor, Francois, Sean and many others. I also got to meet a few people for the first time like Larry and Ann.

I started out with the "D" group. We were quickly left behind by the ride leaders and really didn't know which way to go..... so we just took the trail that "looked" right.

Eventually, Dan found us and we were back with a larger group. Evidently Dwight, Steve and Mike went searching for us.... now we didn't know where they were.

We all eventually hooked up again. A few of the "D" group decided to head back (Larry, Stripes... I'm not sure if there were others.. Our group continued on to the Goat trail then later Red Rocks.

After Red Rocks, Dwight, Steve, CohenFive, Scarpa and Victor headed back while Mike (Nativeson) continued on with 2 other riders.

All in all, a great ride. 20 miles and 2200 feet of climbing.
    now that was a fun ride I posted something last night but it is lost in this long thread... just wanted to say that it was real nice to meet and ride with people for the first time. Also great to see and ride with some who I have not seen or ridden with in a year.

Add 2.5 miles to my numbers for my "search and rescue" mission

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    now that was a fun ride

You will be given suitable credit.

Thanks for taking the time (and energy) to search ........ or was this all part of an evil plan, or excuse, to get extra riding miles in? Hmmmmmm

Slowest Rider

Thanks Dwight

now that was a fun ride I posted something last night but it is lost in this long thread... just wanted to say that it was real nice to meet and ride with people for the first time. Also great to see and ride with some who I have not seen or ridden with in a year.

Your post is back there, just before the pics. I got some pics too, but still trying to decide if I should post here or over in Passion on Wherewolf's thread.

Thanks Dwight for coming to look for us. It was an odd nature of Ft. Ord that every time we got lost, we ended up taking a shortcut because we missed an extra singletrack loop and stayed on the road, and the main group kept running back into us. Sorta weird.

I had brought four radios and was thinking of handing them out. But when I saw the diversity in the crowd and the Ft. Ord map with zillions of closely spaced trails, I correctly predicted there was going to be zero ride organization, and it would be OK anyway because we'd all be close in together. I imagined a radio call going like this:
    1: Where are you?
    2: We're on Trail 22, .. or is it 23?
    1: Where are you on the trail
    2: East side. No. Wait. Maybe it's North, no South, no it's West for sure.
    1. Where's the other group?
    2. Don't know, they went off. I think there's 7, or is it 9 groups now. Oh wait I see you now.
    You get the idea which proved correct. So I decided to leave the radios in the car focus on just sticking close with Anne (Stripes), my ride, and her D-ride friends to make sure they all got out OK. I had maps and my GPS (as did one of Stripe's friends) to find our way back to the cars, which is all that really mattered. Other groups would have to be on their own, which worked out.

I didn't know the Fort Ord trails and was hoping for trail suggestions and guidance. We indeed hit a lot of great trails at the beginning in the group chaos, in spite of missing a few as well. When we split up around the intersection of 49 and 11, I got some great trail advice from NativeSon on shortcuts back to the cars and trails West of Garrison.

The singletrack we did was very nice. The views were nice too. The climbs were intermediate on that side of the park, unlike the last ride there with Wherewolf on the south and eastern side that were pretty steep. My favorite was the two sections of trail 50. The first section of 50 north of Crescent Bluff Rd was swoop and mildly steep. We did it again coming up on the way out, and was fun that way too. The southern section of 50 going north from 13 was a dreamy long swoopy descent where Stripes had an off-trail incident. Going north from 50, we wanted to do some of the section west of East Garrison parking. But we missed the first turn off and had to back track through some swampy fire roads. Some of the singletrack had bad PO stringing across the trail, but once we got through a bad short section, the rest was fine. You can spend hours going through all the little singletrack trails in the small area, but only had time for a sampler. Someday I'll go back and spend more time doing a lot more.

All in all, it was a fun ride day at Fort Ord, a completely different experience from my last trip there. With all the crowd, I'm surprised there's not more posts, but everyone must be busy with Easter.

mtbr dismember

Post #123

I got some pics too, but still trying to decide if I should post here or over in Passion on Wherewolf's thread.
    Your post is #123. I always start a new thread so people don't have to wade through a hundred or more pre-ride organizational posts just to see some post-ride photos. I post in Passion if it is a big ride and I think others from outside NorCal would be interested. We dodged a bit of poison oak and I feel a few hot-spots on my body. But so far no breakouts.

Groveland Trail Heads

I did not mind

Your post is back there, just before the pics. I got some pics too, but still trying to decide if I should post here or over in Passion on Wherewolf's thread.

Thanks Dwight for coming to look for us. It was an odd nature of Ft. Ord that every time we got lost, we ended up taking a shortcut because we missed an extra singletrack loop and stayed on the road, and the main group kept running back into us. Sorta weird.

I had brought four radios and was thinking of handing them out. But when I saw the diversity in the crowd and the Ft. Ord map with zillions of closely spaced trails, I correctly predicted there was going to be zero ride organization, and it would be OK anyway because we'd all be close in together. I imagined a radio call going like this:
    1: Where are you?
    2: We're on Trail 22, .. or is it 23?
    1: Where are you on the trail
    2: East side. No. Wait. Maybe it's North, no South, no it's West for sure.
    1. Where's the other group?
    2. Don't know, they went off. I think there's 7, or is it 9 groups now. Oh wait I see you now.
    You get the idea which proved correct. So I decided to leave the radios in the car focus on just sticking close with Anne (Stripes), my ride, and her D-ride friends to make sure they all got out OK. I had maps and my GPS (as did one of Stripe's friends) to find our way back to the cars, which is all that really mattered. Other groups would have to be on their own, which worked out.

I didn't know the Fort Ord trails and was hoping for trail suggestions and guidance. We indeed hit a lot of great trails at the beginning in the group chaos, in spite of missing a few as well. When we split up around the intersection of 49 and 11, I got some great trail advice from NativeSon on shortcuts back to the cars and trails West of Garrison.

The singletrack we did was very nice. The views were nice too. The climbs were intermediate on that side of the park, unlike the last ride there with Wherewolf on the south and eastern side that were pretty steep. My favorite was the two sections of trail 50. The first section of 50 north of Crescent Bluff Rd was swoop and mildly steep. We did it again coming up on the way out, and was fun that way too. The southern section of 50 going north from 13 was a dreamy long swoopy descent where Stripes had an off-trail incident. Going north from 50, we wanted to do some of the section west of East Garrison parking. But we missed the first turn off and had to back track through some swampy fire roads. Some of the singletrack had bad PO stringing across the trail, but once we got through a bad short section, the rest was fine. You can spend hours going through all the little singletrack trails in the small area, but only had time for a sampler. Someday I'll go back and spend more time doing a lot more.

All in all, it was a fun ride day at Fort Ord, a completely different experience from my last trip there. With all the crowd, I'm surprised there's not more posts, but everyone must be busy with Easter.
    going back for you all. I just worry about others who do not know the trails. You are right about the radios... At least the trails do intersect frequently and it all worked out into a real fun day.

Trail 50 is fun both ways. Mike knows a lot about Planet Ord and we have had some good rides out there exploring new trails. Did you do "Blair Whitch"? I do not know the trail #... but it has a lot of low hanging branches on a real nice flowing singletrack.

Thinking abou heading out to Wilder this afternoon.... the sun has made an appearance. Great seeing you and riding a little with you, Larry. Happy Easter

mtbr dismember

Trail 59

Did you do "Blair Whitch"? I do not know the trail #... but it has a lot of low hanging branches on a real nice flowing singletrack.
    That would be Trail 59. Despite really paying attention I managed to bang my helmet on a low hanging branch, which knocked me off my bike.

Slowest Rider

I'll post pictures there

...I always start a new thread so people don't have to wade through a hundred or more pre-ride organizational posts just to see some post-ride photos. I post in Passion if it is a big ride and I think others from outside NorCal would be interested.
    Agreed. I'll post my pics over on your Passion thread, even though they're not the quality of others. I take lots of pics and mostly try to capture the sense of the ride rather than the perfect photo. Some turn out OK by accident. Maybe I should learn more about photography to get better ones though.

smw
    pedal pusher

Sean

Hey, that was a really fine ride you put together yesterday. As I sit here sipping lattes and watching animated radar rain maps, there's no better feeling than putting in the perfect ride yesterday.

To the group of 13, you guys are awright. We tried to whittle down the group to a smaller selection but no one would bow out. You are all part of Survivor Fort Ord - revolt from the stationary bike.

That was a really fun group. Too many laughs to mention. Y'all ride pretty darn good too.

The Niner bike is interesting. It is soo wrong but so right. It's got a bunch of parts that I would never put on my bike (bar ends, 30 inch bar, 80mm stem, nano tires, rigid fork) but put together, it's the magic kermit bike. I'm doing a pro review on it (yeah, I was on the clock yesterday, boo-hoo) and the best compliment I can give it is that twice now, I let other people borrow it and they promptly kicked my a$$ on the new bike.

francois[/QUOTE]

Oh-oh the secret to go-fast is out. shhhhhh.

Sean

mtbr member
    That would be Trail 59. Despite really paying attention I managed to bang my helmet on a low hanging branch, which knocked me off my bike.
    I think that was the same branch than knocked me down onto my saddle almost crushing the boys. It was right after the tree that tried to swallow SMW.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTVic
    Hey Vic, I am glad that you didn't turn around when the rain hit. It ended up being another great ride at Planet Ord. Sorry I missed the extra miles, but my legs were done. Man am I out of shape. I will definitely bring my bike down the next time I head down to LA. And as for June, we will hit up Demo

mtbr member
    sorry I missed the extended part with Mike, I've done some of what you did with him on other rides. It was a nice riding with you Vic. Let me know when you are up here and I will take you through Santa Cruz.

Great meeting a lot of riders from this forum also great seeing with some who I have not ridden with since last year. I had fun... thanks everyone
    Glad that I was able to finally meet you in person and ride together. I will definitely take you up on your SC offer. Vic is planning to come back up on June. We should do either SC or Demo at that time.

mtbr member
    Thanks go to Nativeson (Mike). He patiently led us through some awesome singletracks that I didn't know about.

mtbr member
    PHP Code:
    [QUOTE=scheckler]It was a nice riding with you VicLet me know when you are up here and I will take you through Santa Cruz
    [/
    Hey Dwight, I'll definitely hit you up next time I'm in Santa Cruz, which will be in June. I'm looking forward to doing Demo so hopefully you, Sung, Mike or anyone else can show me around.
    I've posted some of my pics on Wherewolf's thread here

Slowest Rider

Poison Oak Report

Everyone was talking about it, so I was prepared for the worst. But in spite of running right through a big patch, with some draped right across the trail, I didn't get a spot yet.

Maybe I'm insensitive, in spite of a few little itchy spots from sitting in it at Henry Coe Hat Rock one time. Or maybe Stripes' Technu worked, even though I only did one leg and arm with the worst exposure before getting tired of rubbing the muddy oil all over my dirty legs and arms. (Or maybe my hairy and muddy legs and arms provided a barrier?)

Anyone besides Dan get hit? If it's bad, Francois has some cool MTBR socks for you. You can put them over your hands when you get in the mood to itch.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 04-19-2006 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I only got little bits of it, but I thoroughly scrubbed with Tecnu right after the ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0