From Fremont Older to Stevens Canyon: how to cross via the Stevens Creek County Park?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

From Fremont Older to Stevens Canyon: how to cross via the Stevens Creek County Park?

Fremont Older is my most frequent riding place due to its proximity to my house.

Today I examined the map and found out that I could actually "cross" the Stevens Creek County Park (only half a mile) from Fremont Older to the Stevens Canyon Road and can access the Stevens Canyon trails without having to drive.

The problem is: Stevens Creek County Park does not allow any bikes.
    My question is: since the section connecting Stevens Canyon Road and Fremont Older is only half a mile, would I get in trouble with the rangers if I walk my bike there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails From Fremont Older to Stevens Canyon: how to cross via the Stevens Creek County Park?-capture-2.jpg  

Formerly dvo
    Depending on the ranger and their mood you probably would get a ticket, why not just make the connection via Coyote Ridge? It is the legal alternative.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dvo View Post
    Depending on the ranger and their mood you probably would get a ticket, why not just make the connection via Coyote Ridge? It is the legal alternative.
    Coyote Ridge is another option but then I will have to pedal a couple more miles on pavement along with those big quarry trucks. That is why I was trying to see if there is another option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidation View Post
    Fremont Older is my most frequent riding place due to its proximity to my house.

Today I examined the map and found out that I could actually "cross" the Stevens Creek County Park (only half a mile) from Fremont Older to the Stevens Canyon Road and can access the Stevens Canyon trails without having to drive.

The problem is: Stevens Creek County Park does not allow any bikes.
    My question is: since the section connecting Stevens Canyon Road and Fremont Older is only half a mile, would I get in trouble with the rangers if I walk my bike there?
    Another option is to to ride through Garrod Farms (yield to horses, of course; you can enter near Nob Hill/Toyon Trail entrance), pop out on Mt. Eden Road, go right, then down to Stevens Canyon Road and up to Canyon.

The presence of a bike is enough to warrant a ticket, regardless of whether you're on it or not. For example, don't walk your bike down to the tafoni formations at Skeggs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have done the connection several times drop down north on the legal fire road and hit the paved road below the dam. A little bit of pavement won't hurt and its legal. I do this from my house in Los Gatos.

From there you can ride up Montivina and then back down the canyon or even farther. Good times. Good times.

rho
    Life is strange
    Through the garrod farms and down mt eden rd or down coyote ridge and up stevens canyon. Both are good legal routes, i have been going on both of those routes for years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Just started connecting these two myself as this is my goto no shuttle ride. The connection through Garrod Farms is the way to go if you want to avoid the quarry trucks. There is very little traffic past Montebello road, just a few cars headed up to hwy 9. Watch your speed going through Garrod or they may cut off our access to this route.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the Garrod route. Will try that.

mtbr member
    Please respect the local etiquette and safe practice of walking through the narrow stables of Cooper-Garrod.

BTW a good thing to keep in mind is that you can refill water there too!