Fort Ord & Fat Bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Fort Ord & Fat Bikes

Hi,

Moved to Monterey county two years ago. I have been exploring Fort Ord Trails - County and Federal. I have 2014 Trek Remedy 9.8 and find that the areas where the sand is super soft are a real pain to navigate and quite often have to get off an hike-a-bike for a bit. Just wondering who out might being riding fat bikes on the Fort Ord trails and if so what bikes are you riding? Tires on my Trek are Micehlin Wild Rockers 2.35.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I find it to be a tradeoff - fatties feel fine in the sand but the more cushion the harder the pushin on the hardpack. Some will find any excuse to buy a new bike. Even though I have a set of plus wheels I prefer to ride what I got which is 2.35" and stay efficient but sometimes squirrelly. However Leopold rides big boy tires and goes fast. I say get off the typing machine and go have fun with whatever size rubbers you wear.

jct
    mtbr member
    hi lou. i ride ord often during my lunch breaks....most often on my CX bike with 40mm tires since i tend to ride from my office to the monument. if i do bring a mtb though, it's often my rigid SS with 3 inch Chupas. it's a low profile tread that spins up fast and weighs less than 900 grams in 29". that set up absolutely shreds all of Ord...for me anyway.

a true fat bike will definitely be slower.
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Iíve only ever ridden (and raced) there on 4.8" fatties except for maybe 7 other times on skinnies (2.1"). The fatties as great in the sandy sections and over the washboarded stuff.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

always licking the glass
    For Ft Ord, a plus bike would be awesome. When I was living in the Bay Area, I would run 2.3 and 2.4 tires and was so tempted with a fat bike. In Colorado, we have a lot of loose and rock. I love the plus tires for the loose and rock.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

mtbr member
    You just need to learn the trails. Some trails you need to avoid until winter. Some you avoid all of the time.

I ride Fort Ord 4-5 times a week and I run 2.3-2.4 tires as my preference.

Also you just need to get use to riding sand. At first it freaked me out and now it is a fun challenge!

PM and can show you around!

middle ring single track
    Quite few years ago I got a fatty 4.0 to make riding FO and the beaches more fun. Beaches yes, FO no. By the time you drop the tire pressure to where riding the soft stuff is easy it sucks everywhere else.

Normal sized tires you just got to keep your speed up in sand or plan on bailing.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    You just need to learn the trails. Some trails you need to avoid until winter. Some you avoid all of the time.

I ride Fort Ord 4-5 times a week and I run 2.3-2.4 tires as my preference.

Also you just need to get use to riding sand. At first it freaked me out and now it is a fun challenge!

PM and can show you around!

I rode the Creekside southestern area on Sat (ridge to 42, 43, 41Goat, etc) and was out there for 2 hours and did not see a single MTB rider that fit into the MTB Enthusiast category. Not one. I stopped to drink a beer here and there and the only cyclists i saw were of the sweatpants and no helmet variety. Oddly desolate. The sand was no problem on regular 'enduro' tires. A fatbike seems a bit much.

I just wanna go fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    I rode the Creekside southestern area on Sat (ridge to 42, 43, 41Goat, etc) and was out there for 2 hours and did not see a single MTB rider that fit into the MTB Enthusiast category. Not one. I stopped to drink a beer here and there and the only cyclists i saw were of the sweatpants and no helmet variety. Oddly desolate. The sand was no problem on regular 'enduro' tires. A fatbike seems a bit much.
    Did you go close to noon? Ord has ton of people that ride first thing in the morning, a weird lull around lunch time and then a ton of people trying to get out before sunset.

I prefer Toro, unless it gets rained out or it's around sea otter enduro practice time.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    Did you go close to noon? Ord has ton of people that ride first thing in the morning, a weird lull around lunch time and then a ton of people trying to get out before sunset.

I prefer Toro, unless it gets rained out or it's around sea otter enduro practice time.
    it was between 2 and 4. Hardly any walkers either. How does Sea otter enduro practice impact Toro?

Up In Smoke
    When fat bikes were first coming out I remember seeing a lot of them out at Ord. Its not a bad option if you like to cruise around but honestly I don't believe Ord is truly that sandy that it favors a fat bike. Ten times out of ten I would prefer to ride my CX bike with 33c tires over a fat bike out there, that's my opinion though. I don't see too many out there anymore, but as others have stated its pretty rare to see anyone else out there on any bike.

jct
    mtbr member
    a CX bike is perfect tool for Ord IMO too
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    a CX bike is perfect tool for Ord IMO too
    A CX bike climbs far too easily - no challenge, IMO.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    A CX bike climbs far too easily - no challenge, IMO.
    You can borrow my SSCX if you'd like, 38x16 with 33c tires and crappy bb5 mechanicals make Ord really exciting.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    You can borrow my SSCX if you'd like, 38x16 with 33c tires and crappy bb5 mechanicals make Ord really exciting.
    No thanks, I was being a douchebag earlier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've come to love those sandy trails which have been local for me since 2013, my favorite challenge is trail 26, a short stretch which comes down parallel to and then joins up to sandy ridge trail. It starts as a hard pack downhill but it turns right and goes through a sand pit as it transitions to flat (and sandy) as it joins back up with sandy ridge. Get the speed and balance right and it is an easy roll on 2.3s with no extra effort, one false move and you get bogged down.
    Ride or die.