Folsom/El Dorado Hills Area???- Mtbr.com

Apr 2006

Folsom/El Dorado Hills Area???

Sorry if this should be posted somewhere else but it seems like this would be the best place to actually get my question answered. I live in the Folsom area and want to get a new bike. Where is a bike shop that has good deals and great service? Sorry I'm new to the area and REI/Sport Chalet don't seem to be the right place to go.

Also any good local trails to check out first?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey,

I live in EDH, and I will start off by saying, stay away from Bob's. Not a huge selection of bikes, and the guys there are dicks. Anyway, Bicycle's Plus in old town Folsom has an awesome selection of bikes, but I'm not so sure about their service. As for trails, try out Salmon Falls. Head on EDH Blvd heading North until it turns onto Salmon Falls Rd. and keep going. There are some good trails down there down by the bridge. Hope that helps a bit.
    Matt

Head First
    I go to Bicycle Planet in Folsom, the guys there are really helpful. As for trails try Granite Bay at Lake Folsom or the Prairie City Race Series every Wednesday, it's tons of fun!

orthonormal
    I'll second the stay away from Bob's. Bad service and outrageous prices ($35 to cut a steerer tube). Bicycle Planet is better than Bicycles Plus in terms of service but not so hot in terms of in-stock selection. Bicycles Plus has a good mechanic but they're busy and it can take several days to get work done.

The PC races are a fun way to spend a Wednesday evening, Granite Bay is a decent weekday evening ride as well. When you have time for longer rides, Sweetwater/Salmon Falls/Mickey Mouse is good. So is Auburn. Lots of rides start/end at the North Fork/Middle Fork of the American River confluence area. There's a lot more but those are the ones you can get to quickly and legally.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Apr 2006
    Thanks a lot for the info...there just went about 2 hours of productivity at work. Doh! I went to one of the LBS's websites and ended up on the Ogre's Guide for Mt. Biking Northern California. Some of the rides look awesome! I can't wait to get my bike and hit the trails. I actually live in Rancho Murieta but just put Folsom area to atrack more attention. There are some trails that I've seen out around the lakes and Consumnes river that I will probably hit up first to get my bike legs back.

On another note... I've been having some problems deciding on what kind of bike to purchase. A lot of LBS shops are mentioning Marin, however Marin isn't even on these forums. How do you guys feel about Marin? If you have time check out my other post and let me know. Here is the link: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=183861

Feb 2005
    its all about river rat off Sunrise exit and then left on Fairoaks right across from Bobs. just go around to all the non bobs bike shops and see what you like.

mtbr member
    Honestly I've been really happy at REI. Their prices are good, their bike shop staff are knowledgable and their service has always been great.

I know there's an REI in Folsom, I go to the store off Expo near Arden.

Sep 2005
    You are also close to Jenkins Lake and Flemming Meadows trails. Scenic trip up hwy 16 from Rancho Murieta. Both trails are listed in the MTBR TRAILS, description and directions included.Later in the summer Kirkwood resort up hwy 88 opens the lifts for some limited downhill runs. Make sure to check the TRAILS listings also, mucho good info and locations.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Hey aren't you supposed to be building bunks for punks?

Get back to work!
    Oh wait, Then what am I doing?????
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Apr 2006
    I went to Bicycles Plus and I think I'm gonna pick up a bike from there. They had the bikes that I was intrested in stock and actually showed me some models I wasn't considering. So during my search for a new bike I've considered: 05 Cannondale Jeckyll, 06 Marin Rock Springs, 06 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, 06 Cannondal Rush 600, and the 05 Cannondale Prophet 800. It seems like I'm stuck on the Prophet`.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Just out curiousity, what's your price range?
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Apr 2006
    About 1500-2000.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My parents live in granite bay. I would have to suggest Dyke 8 and salmon falls. I agree with bicycles plus, they are pretty good over there.

Dec 2005
    City Bicycle Works is pretty good too. They have a store in Citrus Heights and in downtown Sac. I've purchased a few bikes from them. They have pretty good service and lots of advice.
    I think they've won some awards too.

The Prophet is a sick bike btw. If you wanna get a Cannondale, talk to Heath at the citrus heights store. He loves them and will make sure the ride you get is the best it can be.

EDIT: Heath is no longer with CBW. He's now with Mikesbikes in downtown Sac... real nice guy. I'll have to check out the new store.
    Last edited by Fish on a Bike; 04-28-2006 at 05:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Smile

I recently purchased the Rush 1000 from J-Cruz and the boys over at Bicycles Plus. I must say, the Rush is an awesome bike, I really like the dimensions and have been stoked on the Salmon Falls and Folsom Browns Ravine Trails...

Here's a pic after the Browns Trail...

Good luck with your choice,
    Dubber

Sep 2005
    Enjoy, watchout for the poison oak at Slammin Balls this year, thickest I have ever seen it!

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by muller s e
    Enjoy, watchout for the poison oak at Slammin Balls this year, thickest I have ever seen it!
    It's so bad it's pointless to even attempt to avoid touching it. Ride lower Mickey Mouse and you'll get smacked in the face with the stuff in a couple of spots.

Ivy Block before the ride, Tecnu afterwards has limited my troubles to one tiny spot on my right forearm so far this year. I was worried after last Sunday that i'd have a big rash all over my face.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Damn, thanks for the info people. I'm thinking about going out there tomorrow or Sunday...

Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f
    It's so bad it's pointless to even attempt to avoid touching it. Ride lower Mickey Mouse and you'll get smacked in the face with the stuff in a couple of spots.

Ivy Block before the ride, Tecnu afterwards has limited my troubles to one tiny spot on my right forearm so far this year. I was worried after last Sunday that i'd have a big rash all over my face.

Ivy Block and Tecnu? Where do I get that stuff? I've been riding the trails out here in Rancho Murieta around the lakes and Consumnes River. Not too bad. Most of the trails I have driven my truck on, so nothing real tough. However it's been an eye opener to how out of shape I am. That or how much of a difference there is between California and Pennslyvania where I used to ride. These hills out here are like our mountains back there. LOL I'm nursing an abdominal hernia surgery that I got last week. So once I'm back at 100% I'll be heading over to Salmon Falls.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Dude, let me know. I'm looking for riding groups for the weekends...Or Monday's...

Members who have read this thread: 0