Folsom Cyclebration: NEW XC course through the PRISON and ZOO!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Folsom Cyclebration: NEW XC course through the PRISON and ZOO!

Hey All,

As promised we have a NEW VENUE for the cross country course at Cyclebration Sept 10 - 12, 2010.
    We have worked very hard to bring you this once a year venue, we hope you will come check it out! This is nothing like the Granite Bay course! We have put a TON of work into this building new trails, bridges and "connecting the dots" for an excellent course.

This course will have a bit of everything: Dirt, gravel roads, old flume converted to trail, grass, small bit of pavement, swooshing single track and some ACTUAL CLIMBING. This course will challenge you... especially the Experts, the Expert split is going to have some great fun technical singletrack!

You will start out at the Folsom Rodeo grounds arena and make your way toward the American River Levee, to the south side of the Folsom Prison grounds (don't stop and chat with the guards!) cross over our new creek bridge and head toward the zoo. If you pay attention, look over your left shoulder and check out the bears (only 3 feet away!) and the llamas on your way through the ZOO.

You re-enter the arena stadium via "Sherwood Forest" where there is plenty of spectator seating.

Don't forget, we are also runnning the TIME TRIL on Friday the 10th and the SHORT TRACK on Saturday the 11th. Come on out for all three, or just your favorite :-)

Check out the website here: http://www.bicyclingevents.com/Cycle.../CbMtbMain.htm

Here are some photos of the trail builder testing their most excellent work... Thank you all that help get this up and going for this year!

Cheers,
    Brian

NOTICE!!! Please do not illegally ride on the Prison property prior to the practice day or race day. You will be stopped by the prison guards who patrol the area regularly. This is a secured state prison area open only to us for scheduled work days and the race and practice days. Please do not jeopardize our use of this venue!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Folsom Cyclebration: NEW XC course through the PRISON and ZOO!-cbxc_2010finalsm.jpg  

Folsom Cyclebration: NEW XC course through the PRISON and ZOO!-bridgedoneriders.jpg  

Folsom Cyclebration: NEW XC course through the PRISON and ZOO!-prisonflumeriders.jpg  

Folsom Cyclebration: NEW XC course through the PRISON and ZOO!-prisonsingletrackconvicts.jpg  

Last edited by CactusJackSlade; 08-19-2010 at 11:32 PM.
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    Oh, important note: Because of this new venue through the prison and zoo... the racer limit is 250!
    Best in the West!

mtb'er
    That's going to be really cool! So bummed I'm missing Cyclebration this year

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Check out some photos of the Zoo trail in progress! Warning, extreme cuteness!
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=f4d50edb2f

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Are these trails open for riding now??

Now if you can just get them to open up that land to the east of the Prison Road for a race.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I am already signed up and looking forward to it.

To all -- I did a little bit of work on this course about 2 weeks ago and got to see some of it myself. When they say "real climbing" they might mean it. All the track coming up from the river is uphill and much longer than anything in the usual Granite Bay courses. And the old flume section is swoopy swoopy and fun! And the proposed expert split has some STEEP chutes that are really fun.

Will be a great track to race on that will have something for everyone. Can't wait!
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zon

Now if you can just get them to open up that land to the east of the Prison Road for a race.

Nope. Sorry. This complete loop will only be open to racers on the designated preride day and race day. Sign up

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by asa
    Nope. Sorry. This complete loop will only be open to racers on the designated preride day and race day. Sign up

I would,, however, for some reason there are several things going on the same weekend. So picking my poison I will be at the Tahoe Sierra 100 torturing myself.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    very cool! loved that sherwood forest section from the night time cross race series.

you need to figure out how to incorporate this 'new terrain' for next year

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/08/19/296...ds-behind.html

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Please do not try to ride the Prison trails. You could be arrested, and we can get shut down. We want to do this next year, so please steer clear of the prison.

mtbr member
    You breakouts might want to consider a different jersey for that day...
    :wq

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Stipes are OK, Blue is very bad.

mtbr member

I'm sorry no.

To all:

Please do not illegally ride on the Prison property prior to the practice day or race day. You will be stopped by the prison guards who patrol the area regularly. This is a secured state prison area open only to us for scheduled work days and the race and practice days. Please do not jeopardize our use of this venue!

Two people have already beed apprehended and tossed out of the prison area. If their names come to my attention they will be banned from this race!

Brian
    Last edited by CactusJackSlade; 08-19-2010 at 09:26 PM.
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    So long as I can hear that lonesome whistle.

mtbr member
    lol there are no trails! you guys were tunneling out some buddies weren't ya!

very cool though, gunna try the stage race if I sign up in time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    As a male it might be a good idea NOT to wear tight bike pants on prision grounds!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12to29
    As a male it might be a good idea NOT to wear tight bike pants on prision grounds!!

Don't worry... theoretically only the guards will be watching you.... well, OK, never mind
    Best in the West!

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 12to29
    You will probably be safe. You might get some cat calls from the guards though

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Hey Asa,,, Johnny Cash better be blasting over the speakers at the rodeo arena for this race,, non-stop,, looped,, loud.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey Asa,,, Johnny Cash better be blasting over the speakers at the rodeo arena for this race,, non-stop,, looped,, loud.

Got my Cash Stash ready to go!

mtbr member
    So the XC race is on Sunday this year?
    I might have to see how the legs are feeling after S/T 100. I'd love the chance to check out the prison trails.
    There is just too many fun events going on that weekend. Cyclebration just gets bumped down the list.

Sierra-Tahoe 50/100
    The Great Flume Race
    Bike Monkey Annadel XC race
    Cyclebration
    Sacramento Air Show

All on the same weekend.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by rsquared28
    I might have to see how the legs are feeling after S/T 100. I'd love the chance to check out the prison trails.

If it is I may join ya,,, if I have anything left. Rcovery ride.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If it is I may join ya,,, if I have anything left. Rcovery ride.
    Good idea!

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Working on the PZ connector today...

mtbr member
    Here is one photo I like: Everyone working and me standing This is very near the completion of the P/Z connector... if you could see through the green fence there is a BEAR in there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Folsom Cyclebration: NEW XC course through the PRISON and ZOO!-pzconnector01.jpg  

Best in the West!

mtbr member
    By the way, did I mention that because of the new and tentitive nature of the Prison and Zoo folks we have a racer limit of 250 racers this year, so if you have not registered I would recommend doing so very soon!

http://www.bicyclingevents.com/Cycle.../CbMtbMain.htm
    Best in the West!

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    A deer licked my ear while I was working on the Zoo Trail today.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Wink

Why do I have images of monkeys and inmates throwing things at the racers?

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    How cool would that be!!!

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by asa
    A deer licked my ear while I was working on the Zoo Trail today.

Just be careful with that!!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Wow, I am glad there are only doe in the pen!!! I hope you guys like the Zoo trail, cuz I can't feel my hands right now.

Formerly Empty Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    There shouldn't be any inmates throwing anything. I just heard on the news that Folsom Prison is on lock-down for the next two weeks due to a riot, and no visitors are allowed!!
    it's good to see your back

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Don't forget to pre-register! Online registration closes at noon, Sept 8th.

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Done!

LAST day to Pre-reg. Wednesday!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Folsom Cyclebration: NEW XC course through the PRISON and ZOO!-img_8411_1_1.jpg  

Folsom Cyclebration: NEW XC course through the PRISON and ZOO!-img_8425_6_1.jpg  

Folsom Cyclebration: NEW XC course through the PRISON and ZOO!-img_8446_3_1.jpg  

Folsom Cyclebration: NEW XC course through the PRISON and ZOO!-img_8450_2_1.jpg  

Folsom Cyclebration: NEW XC course through the PRISON and ZOO!-img_8455_5_1.jpg  

Folsom Cyclebration: NEW XC course through the PRISON and ZOO!-img_8463_4_1.jpg  

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You can see the rest of the pics here:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=20cc8f81e6

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Crazy weekend. I have a wedding and anniversary of my own to boot. No racing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality
    There is just too many fun events going on that weekend. Cyclebration just gets bumped down the list.

Sierra-Tahoe 50/100
    The Great Flume Race
    Bike Monkey Annadel XC race
    Cyclebration
    Sacramento Air Show

All on the same weekend.

mtbr member
    Does anyone who worked on the trail have a gearing recommendation for single speed? I usually run 32X17 at Granite Bay (29er) if that helps. The talk of "real climbs" makes me think I should just go 2x1.

Course sounds FUN!
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by amishscum
    Does anyone who worked on the trail have a gearing recommendation for single speed? I usually run 32X17 at Granite Bay (29er) if that helps. The talk of "real climbs" makes me think I should just go 2x1.

Course sounds FUN!
    Are you in Exp or Sport Single Speed?

The Exp course is 4 laps = 20 miles, and according to website, there is 450 feet of climbing per lap so that's around 1800 vert for the 20 miles. So for local comparison, that's more than the typical GB race course (I think) but less then say a long training ride in Auburn canyons.

Aside from climbs, if you are in Expert SS class, you will have to deal with the Expert Split portion as well. It's tight and twisty in there and a big hard gear may be no bueno (although I haven't pre-ridden the entire Exp split).

There is also a lot of flat too...so, I guess this is a long winded explanation that a 2:1 gear ratio (29'er) is probably going to be a popular gear choice. Other than that, we will have a chance to pre-ride the course on Saturday, so use that for your gear choice assessment.

See ya there -
    Ron

mtbr member
    ^^^
    Thanks Ron, I appreciate the prompt reply. I'm racing Sport class. Not really in the hunt this year, so I'll probably just run what I normally do and portage if necessary. Can't wait though! I'm really excited about this course since it's a "once-a-year" deal.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The bark on the short track course has been cleared for your racing pleasure.

mtbr member

gearing...

Quote Originally Posted by amishscum

Course sounds FUN!
    Well, if it helps, MOST of the course will be pretty fast, but the climb out is pretty long and steepens a bit tward the middle.... then there is the SOB hil, short but STEEP just before you cross the creek bridge... so it varies widely, sorry I can't help more!
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The course was so good. People spaced out pretty quickly. Lots of variety. Good climbing per lap (honestly felt like more than 450 feet!). Really good course.

Thanks to all you guys for the hard work. You made 250 people really stoked today!

I ran 32x19 on my 29er and felt like it was perfect.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Great course indeed! It really had everything. The flat grassy section rewarded the folks who were good at sustained power output. The sketchy chutes, tight singletrack, and rockiness of the Expert split and some of those fast off-camber turns in the prison property area rewarded the technical bike handlers and penalized those who were not. The long hills rewarded the steady-eddy climbers. The short but STEEP WALL climb rewarded the sprinter-type climbers. And the zoo trails were fun for just about everyone I would think....no need to even try and pass in there...just ride it!

Cyclebration is a pretty fun weekend. The Short Track on Saturday and the MTB TT on Friday are always a fun time as well.

Full XC results are here. Links to the Short Track and Time Trial are there as well:
    http://bicyclingevents.com/Cyclebration/XCResults.asp

bikerbert
    AWESOME XC course this morning, I had a blast racing it!
    Al Painter
    Sport Men 30-39

Members who have read this thread: 0