First XC race in 20 years- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First XC race in 20 years

Took a call last weekend from a friend of mine saying they were going to a race over in the Sierra Foothills. Was supposed to be just a heckle-fest, drinking beer, playing loud music and watching friends race. I brought my 160mm seat-dropper-ed All-Mountain beast (also my only bike) with me figuring I was going to maybe pedal around after the race was over and check it out since I had never been to this venue prior.

Within 20 minutes of being at the venue, the race promoter comes over and urges me to hurry up and get dressed and ready to race. Only thing was, I wasn't registered nor planned to race, really. That's when he said "I have a number plate for you, what class you racing?" I replied "sport?" Strait-up-sponsored me.

I had no bike clothes with me. No chamois, no nothing, just shorts and a tee shirt, and my bike, did have gloves, helmet and my shoes. So why not, I race cat-2 aka "workin' man, gotta work tomorrow class in DH??" That's where my lapse in judgment took over. Sport is 2 laps.

Went out and did a half-ass warm up lap, lined up at the start and felt good. Went off with the boys at the start and at the first hill I went anaerobic, the rest was a sh*t how. I had my a** handed to me over 17 miles and 3000' of climbing, on a 30lb suspension bike.

There were some highlights.. I made the climbs no-dabs and stayed clipped in while others pushed. I put a solid minute on the guy behind me on the DH and through the technical sections. He eventually caught me and we ended up battling for DFL in the last mile, and he won (on his S-Works Epic).

But the most satisfying part was really how that was my first XC race in 20 years whereas I used to race XC all-the-time. And I hate to say, even though I took DFL, I actually appreciated the suffering and the sore legs and the beer that someone handed up to me, and the heckling. Lastly, against all that is holy in the current world of MTB with it's 160mm of travel, I actually priced out an (egad), XC bike.

I wanna go FAST.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Lol.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Moderator Moderator
    Carpe Diem!

This story reminds me of a good friend in Tahoe who entered the Death Ride and got a spot. He didn't have a bike, nor had he done any riding really. With a week of 'training,' on an old borrowed bike, and in sneakers, he finished the race. Likely DFL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Carpe Diem!

This story reminds me of a good friend in Tahoe who entered the Death Ride and got a spot. He didn't have a bike, nor had he done any riding really. With a week of 'training,' on an old borrowed bike, and in sneakers, he finished the race. Likely DFL.
    I can relate. First time I did the Death Ride, all I had was a crappy 'Ol Touring bike, rear rack and a single pannier. Bike weighed about 30lbs. People teased me that there was a toaster in my bag. I had no fitness. Got drunk the night before. I successfully cleared Monitor, Ebbets to Hermit valley, then back to the car in Woodfords, where I tossed my cookies then ultimately passed out in the fetal position in the bed of the truck. Some random passerby lady asks "Are you Ok, young man?! You look terrible!" I was indeed, "terrible.."

mtbr member
    Yeah!!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

Hella Olde
    Good job! Like Steve McQueen (whoever wrote his line, that is) said:

Racing is life, anything that happens before of after is just waiting.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Noice!!!
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Thumbs up.

My goals in every XC race:
    1. Have fun
    2. Donít get hurt
    3. Donít be last.

I donít race much at all but Iíve gotten better at achieving all three goals.

One of the best local races, SoNoMas, is the weekend after next. Iím not going to be able to make it but I would if I could. A ton of singletrack that hardly anybody ever rides because itís way the frak out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk