First ever ride at Skeggs tomorrow.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

First ever ride at Skeggs tomorrow.....

I'm heading out to Skeggs in the morning for a first time ride there. Looking for a loop to ride that'll last about 2-3 hours. Can you give me a list of trails to ride and a place to park. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    2-3 hour ride is subjective depending on pace.

When are you going? I can take you on a 10 mile or so loop if its during the day. I am no expert of the area but maybe Francois can man up and do a B ride with us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm trying to go first thing in the morning. About 8am or so.

flow where ever you go
    Most people park at Skeggs Point. See map: http://www.openspace.org/preserves/maps/pr_ecdm.pdf

I think average riders (new to park) are likely to take 2-3 hrs for most loops that bite off 1/4-1/3 of the park....... rough guess-timation. Just remember it's a "pay to play" park - meaning that everything starts out fun and downhill - then you "pay" with uphill to add loops and/or get back to the car!

Do a "skeggs" search in this forum and you should find plenty of loop recommendations.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks! I've heard about some parking issues invlolving tickets.... Anything I should look out for or be aware of?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Never heard of parking tickets, but you can get a ticket for speeding on your bike. Rangers sometimes stand on the fire roads with radar guns and will stop you if you exced 15mph. The most common speed trap is on the fire road right above the start to Blue Blossom.

Park in the Skegg's Point parking lot. Go down the hill on Skyline and enter the park on the left (west) side of the road. Pick up a map there. I recommend going DOWN the following single track trails: Resolution, North Leaf, Manzanita, Crossover (or is it Crosscut?), and Blue Blossom. You can link these trails together via fire roads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You could do this.

Park at the Paved Lot on Skyline:

Go down el corte de madera
    Left at resolution
    right at fir
    right at methusela
    left at giant salamander
    right timberview
    left gordon Mill
    left cross over
    @ this point stay on cross over or if you want to climb more getting out bare left and take cross cut
    Both trails will put you back on timberview.
    Turn right on timberview and this is your climb out.
    take timberview all the way up and turn left on sierra morena This will dump you out back on el corte madera turn right back to the lot.

Check the map. This is about 12 miles and to me the "fun" thing you miss is the blossom trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    There are 11 riders heading out there from Concord and will be in the parking lot at 7am. I've never been but come join in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Awesome! I'll see ya there!

mtbr member
    Highlight trails (IMHO) are Manzanita (rocks), Resolution (some rocks, the famous root and wreckage of a plane), Giant Salamander (new and fun), Crosscut (flowy, flat singletrack), South Leaf (technical bits you won't clean), Steam Donkey (fun downhill).

And for long descents and climbs, Blue Blossom/Lawrence Creek.

Be really careful of speed tomorrow - being a holiday the rangers are sure to be out.

My first ever ride at Skeggs was the loop recommended on the Passion Trail Bikes "Rides" page.. http://www.passiontrailbikes.com/pages/rides. Has a good description and a very good map too.

mtbr member
    We have another group starting at around 7:30AM this morning from the Skeggs parking lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by taprsnap8888
    Can you give me a list of trails to ride and a place to park.
    This is probably coming a little too late for your ride there today, but my website (link in my signature below) lists six possible routes, with all logistical details (including parking) spelled out.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks. just got back from my ride. Sorry to the concord guys I was supposed to meet up with.... Got up this morning and realized I hadn't cleared the ride with the PIC (person in charge), aka my wife who's 8 months pregnant. Had to do a breakfast in bed treatment before I could head out.

Ended up riding by myself... Man that place has got some climbs. Anyways really cool place to go and will definitely be going back.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Bump..

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    No problem. Funny - Cause I grew up there and had never been to skeggs. Awesome place to ride: very flowy, climbs had just enough hurt in them, and the single track felt forever...

Video from switchbaxer: http://gallery.me.com/ronaclan#100933

And some pics were taken from a friend of mine.

If anyone is ever in the East Bay and wants to ride, hit me up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First ever ride at Skeggs tomorrow.....-dsc_0124.jpg  

First ever ride at Skeggs tomorrow.....-dsc_0163.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0