The first annual Ales & Trails Mountain Bike Rides and Barbeque- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The first annual Ales & Trails Mountain Bike Rides and Barbeque

Check it out this coming Saturday at China Camp! Should be a lot of fun.

SAT JUN 19th
    Ride Rating: beginner/intermediate/advanced
    The first annual Ales & Trails Mountain Bike Rides and Barbeque
    Co-sponsored by BTCEB , BTCM , Access 4 Bikes and NorCAMBA. Rides start at 9:30AM. Barbeque, with free draft beer at 12:30PM . The rides are on the buff singletrack in the park, and vary in length and pace for beginners to hammerheads. The rides and picnic are free for current members of any of the above clubs. If your membership is not current, you can renew at the party. The rides and the party will be at Miwok Meadows, in China Camp State Park in San Rafael . From 101 Freeway, take the North San Pedro Exit ( Civic Center ) going East. Go for 3.5 miles, and make a right turn, on dirt road, at Miwok Meadows sign. Free parking. FREE FOOD, FREE DRAFT BEER, FREE SINGLETRACK. For more information contact Danny Forer at: [email protected]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks for posting (reminding me!) this..i'm going to try to take my wife and son. should be a blast.

mtbr member
    You're very welcome!

You should join us for a Monday evening ride some time. I believe Erin likes to keep it around 8-15 miles, taking about 1.5-2 hours of time. Route varies, and should accomodate all riders present. It's a beginner/intermediate ride, or "advanced beginner".

We'll be there this evening at the usual time and place.

MON JUN 14th
    Ride Rating: T3/S5/O5 (beginner/intermediate)
    WEEKLY MONDAY RECOVERY
    8 to 14 mi w/800' to 1,500' of climbing. Meet at 6:15 p.m. in the parking lot across from the public safety offices at Lake Chabot in Castro Valley (up the long driveway to the right of the main marina entrance - 17930 Lake Chabot Road ). We leave by 6.30 p.m. to ride. Join us as we stretch our legs after a long weekend of racing and riding with a nice easy spin around Lake Chabot most every Monday evening. Advanced riders will get a good recovery ride and stretch while beginner riders will get in a good work-out ride. It's a no drop ride with plenty of stops so no matter your skill level, we'd love to have you join us! The ride may vary from week to week and based upon the desire of those who show. Please RSVP if you plan to show up, else ride may change w/o notice. Email: Erin Ambrose [[email protected]] or call (510) 888-9757.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    well i took my wife and son to china camp for a loop around the park and then the party/bbq. they both had a great time although my wife got a little intimidated in spots, mostly where there was a steep drop off the side of the trail and lots of rocks on the trail. but overall she enjoyed herself and was pretty tired afterwards. my son was ready to do another couple of hours i think!!

nice time afterwards, i think it was pretty well attended. sort of like 'apres ski' but in the summer and the dirt. thanks again, will hopefully get my wife and/or son for a wednesday 'easy' ride in chabot.
    Last edited by cohenfive; 06-21-2004 at 05:57 AM.

Coors, the american beer.
    damn i missed this.

Is china camp still having problems with break ins on the road?
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

It's about showing up.

We are fantastic people!

About 200 mtb'ers joined under tha Bays and Oaks at Miwok Meadows for riding and BBQ. Trails Counsils came from all over Northern California including BTCEB, SAMBA, A4B, BTCM, FATRAC, BONC, and IMBA. At least 80 people rode in the Conversational (Beginner), Intermediate, and Hammerhead groups. The Sliced Beef, Spicy Sausages, salad, beans and loads of other stuff were fantastic. The Broken Drum IPA was awesome, but some favored the Ale, and later the Fat Tire Brew.
    I brought one of my graduating High School riders to go with the hammerheads and a new freshman rider and my 11 year old son just to meet the tribe and ride with the beginners. They were lead ably by Abby (whose husband organized the rides) and Karen (for who's late husband Goldman Trail in Tamarancho was named); skilled and long time trail advocates both. I also had one of my team families attend. They are all cyclists but with limited dirt under their wheels and just had a blast.
    There were banners and tents and Bluegrasss music by Weak Whisky and tables to drum up memeberships to Counsils under the NorCamba umbrella. Pres Shaun, very freshly back from his honeymoon arrived in time to do the honors. I was so pleased to have my friends come and meet people we had all met on other trails, races, or other advocacy work and see their families and friends.
    This is a great group.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    so shaun is the pres--of which of the clubs? my wife and i spoke with he and his wife without knowing they were such big hitters!! really nice folks, as were all in attendance.

mtbr member
    I only showed up for the chow and chat after the rides and had a great time. Thanks to all the vounteers who helped work on the spread and event. Some of my food was getting dished up by folks who came all the way from Auburn!

Shaun is a former BTCEB president and current BTCEB board member as well as the current president of NorCAMBA.

It's about showing up.

These two

are the sweetest people, which is why you didn't know they were heavy hitters.

mtbr member

Thank you

Thanks for the kind words. We had a wonderful time seeing and meeting everyone at the event.

Shaun
    What would we do without trails?
    Get involved
    Join your local club and IMBA
    www.imba.com

Members who have read this thread: 0