Fire in Henry Cowell- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fire in Henry Cowell

I saw a lot of smoke driving into work this morning. Then two Calfire trucks passed. Not much info yet. It seems to be in the area east of Hwy 9. Lots of smoke in Santa Cruz. First reported around 2 AM.

https://twitter.com/CALFIRECZU/statu...16274549481480

mtbr member
    Damn, hate to hear about redwoods burning. $50 on tweakers and "campers", as it's isn't exactly lightning (cloud or PG&E+wind) season. Bummer.

No incident update from Cal Fire central yet: https://mobile.twitter.com/CAL_FIRE/
    Short article from UCSC news: https://news.ucsc.edu/2020/06/small-...tate-park.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would not want to ride in Santa Cruz until that thick smoke clears out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Less than an acre and slow spreading, but they expect it to be smoldering all day.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Rode a few minutes in Scotts Valley and watched the helicopters running back and forth from quarry. It looks like earlier wind was blowing smoke into santa cruz, but now it is blowing up into the mountains.

Reminder: get a generator! I can't imagine work from home and quarantining with no power

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by shmadge View Post
    Rode a few minutes in Scotts Valley and watched the helicopters running back and forth from quarry. It looks like earlier wind was blowing smoke into santa cruz, but now it is blowing up into the mountains.

Reminder: get a generator! I can't imagine work from home and quarantining with no power
    I'm looking at generators too. I already have a 5000W open frame unit that's fine for power tools (if you can stand the noise) but I want a pure sine wave generator-inverter to run electronic devices. 2000W isn't enough to start the 13,500 BTU A/C unit in my travel trailer so i'm looking at 3000+W units. Honda is the gold standard but their 3KW generator is $2000. Harbor Freight has their Predator series 3500W for $769 and I have a 20% coupon. I hear good things abut them generally. If you want to run off of propane rather than gas, Champion makes a dual fuel 3400W unit for $1K.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    2000W isn't enough to start the 13,500 BTU A/C unit in my travel trailer so i'm looking at 3000+W units. Honda is the gold standard but their 3KW generator is $2000..
    I shelled out the $$$ for the Honda EU3000is and I'm glad I did. Powers the T.T. AC and all the necessities in my home when needed during outages. Super quiet and has an eco mode. Solid unit! Only negative I can come up with is its a tad on the heavy side. But, If I need power, I know I have it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I'm looking at generators too. I already have a 5000W open frame unit that's fine for power tools (if you can stand the noise) but I want a pure sine wave generator-inverter to run electronic devices. 2000W isn't enough to start the 13,500 BTU A/C unit in my travel trailer so i'm looking at 3000+W units. Honda is the gold standard but their 3KW generator is $2000. Harbor Freight has their Predator series 3500W for $769 and I have a 20% coupon. I hear good things abut them generally. If you want to run off of propane rather than gas, Champion makes a dual fuel 3400W unit for $1K.
    Thanks for the heads up on the Champion unit. Turns out it's now tri-fuel so I can hook it up directly to my home's natural gas line. Only $400 and an extra $100 for a 5 year warranty. I like the idea of using NG for unlimited fuel supply and no gummed up carburetor from gasoline.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZe View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the Champion unit. Turns out it's now tri-fuel so I can hook it up directly to my home's natural gas line. Only $400 and an extra $100 for a 5 year warranty. I like the idea of using NG for unlimited fuel supply and no gummed up carburetor from gasoline.
    Lol, I wrote "unit" so many times in my previous post, I got you and Tony saying too.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Doh, not "CARB compliant" so they can't ship to CA.