mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Finally rode demo

I finally got to ride demo yesterday. Oh man! I'm exhausted today. Soooooo much climbing. Flow was insane! Now I'm in love and gotta work on my climbing fitness bigtime. Santa cruz once again did not disappoint.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Yeah Flow is pretty awesome. The climbs are demoralizing, but the pay off is definitely worth it.

My coworkers and I might plan a trip to SC in early December if the weather and air quality cooperate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Nice! The climb is no joke. I about died on the way back to my truck. So worth it tho. Nothing like where I come from.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I need to get back down there. I rode with my son and soon to be DIL last February, but flow was closed in sections. We descended on Braille instead and THAT was a blast! The ride out on Hihns Mill sucked, but I'm used to climbing. My son? ...notsomuch.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Saving braille for next time. I live here now so on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azflyfishing View Post
    Saving braille for next time. I live here now so on!
    I like to do 2 Braille runs and pass on flow these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Demo is a great place. The climbs increase your fitness so you get used to them after a while.

Braille and Flow are both wonderful trails, and completely different, so it's nice to have them to complement each other.

Flow is actually in pretty rough shape right now. Wait till you hit it in the spring after the rain and trail maintenance (speaking of, check out MBoSC, they are the group that got Flow built and they maintain it).

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Already going to be work with mbosc and helping the maintain trails and their equipment. I'm an equipment mechanic. So I offered my assistance

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmxsteve View Post
    I like to do 2 Braille runs and pass on flow these days.

Yes, this is the best way to ride Demo. Flow is an energy suck and I donít get much from it. Iíd rather climb Buzzard to ride ridge and descend Braille followed by Sulphur climb and another Braille lap.

Iíll also usually stop and session a couple areas during my 1st descent on Braille.
    Last edited by Shamis; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:38 AM.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

I'm usually hungry.
    I finally got to ride demo yesterday. Oh man! I'm exhausted today. Soooooo much climbing. Flow was insane! Now I'm in love and gotta work on my climbing fitness bigtime. Santa cruz once again did not disappoint.
    Nice, dude! I LOVE that place. You're correct, it's a completely new riding experience when you come from AZ, like us.
    Anyway, There are three of us heading down there on Sunday. We will likely climb up the road, do Ridge, Braille, climb, Flow, and then at least a couple of us will do a third lap on Braille. I can't get enough. Anyway, you are more than welcome to join. I've been itching to get a bigger group ride together to meet more local shredders.

Propr
    Is Sawpit still closed? I use to like to do one run on Sawpit, climb back up to Ridge and then hit Braille and then climb out...that was a good day!
    10 TransAM SS
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1 - Sold
    Hightower LTcc - Ď18 Lg - Sold
    (Building up Ď19 in XL)

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowball View Post
    Is Sawpit still closed? I use to like to do one run on Sawpit, climb back up to Ridge and then hit Braille and then climb out...that was a good day!
    Sawpit is gone. Its replacement, if any, is up in the air.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Demo is about to get 2 inches of rain. It will be very different by the weekend.

Enter the department of good times. Although the past couple times I've been there, I've had a great time... with dusty expectations. Finally rode demo-46519211_10156669214733213_4008726511908552704_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    Demo is a great place. The climbs increase your fitness so you get used to them after a while.

Braille and Flow are both wonderful trails, and completely different, so it's nice to have them to complement each other.

Flow is actually in pretty rough shape right now. Wait till you hit it in the spring after the rain and trail maintenance (speaking of, check out MBoSC, they are the group that got Flow built and they maintain it).
    Flow is soooo rough it feels like a trail right now. So awesome with good suspension.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hah. I rode ridge and flow with a hardtail.

fc
    Hah. I rode ridge and flow with a hardtail.
    Let's see a photo of your bike. What pressure do you run in your tires?

Braille is way rockier.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    15 psi. Plus tires. I'll post a pic of my bike after work. I should probably go fix something lol

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I really loved Sawpit. I'm sad it's gone now. I don't understand the Flow trail (or the one at Tamarancho). The whole point in such a manufactured trail is JUMPS. And there really aren't any. It should be more like Livewire at Northstar. Braille is fun, but the landings are a bit harsh on a hard tail. A flow trail with some sweet table tops... that would be awesome!

fc
    15 psi. Plus tires. I'll post a pic of my bike after work. I should probably go fix something lol
    That's good. 15 psi. That prolly means you're fairly slack as well on the head tube. You're good to go then.

The thing with Braille though is just watch your speed. And you'll probably have to skip most of the features (step-downs) which is the real key to Braille.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Yeah. I'll hit braille next. I hit some of the "jumps" on flow too. I'd probably skip the features till I can afford a new bike.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    I really loved Sawpit. I'm sad it's gone now. I don't understand the Flow trail (or the one at Tamarancho). The whole point in such a manufactured trail is JUMPS. And there really aren't any. It should be more like Livewire at Northstar. Braille is fun, but the landings are a bit harsh on a hard tail. A flow trail with some sweet table tops... that would be awesome!
    Yup, jumps would be really really cool. Problem is people wad up ALL the time since we have very little opportunity to practice jumps here.

That being said, there's 5 senders in the Flow Trail. There could be 20 if we were allowed to work on it. But the current forest management does not like and took down many during the final inspections.

But the real purpose of flow trails is berms and maintaining speed, momentum, and learning to pump terrain and maximize traction.

When the Demo Flow trail is in prime shape, it's one of the best in the country. It's a 12 minute g-force descent with minimal pedaling at ballistic speeds. Yet it only drops 1300 feet.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Oh yeah!)))

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Demo is about to get 2 inches of rain. It will be very different by the weekend.

Enter the department of good times. Although the past couple times I've been there, I've had a great time... with dusty expectations. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46519211_10156669214733213_4008726511908552704_o.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	1225492

-COMMENCE HOLDING BREATH!!!!!
    Freakin' Weather guy's/gal's
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yup, jumps would be really really cool. Problem is people wad up ALL the time since we have very little opportunity to practice jumps here.

That being said, there's 5 senders in the Flow Trail. There could be 20 if we were allowed to work on it. But the current forest management does not like and took down many during the final inspections.

But the real purpose of flow trails is berms and maintaining speed, momentum, and learning to pump terrain and maximize traction.

When the Demo Flow trail is in prime shape, it's one of the best in the country. It's a 12 minute g-force descent with minimal pedaling at ballistic speeds. Yet it only drops 1300 feet.
    Yea honestly senders that far out of cell range and help is asking for trouble. I rode some of the Gravity Works trails on public land in Draper, Utah right when they opened and they literally had a helicopter landing there on day one pulling someone off the trail, and that was in a location with good cell reception and relatively easy trail access. Jumps are best for bike parks where there is support services nearby to assist quickly IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Yeah. Definitely got the feeling I was in no man's land out there. I had spotty cell coverage. Enough for my girlfriend to keep checking was still alive. Lol

Moderator Moderator
    I ride alone 90% of the time. I usually carry a Garmin inReach Explorer. Having satellite text is useful in a bind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    How much are they? I usually ride alone also

Moderator Moderator

Finally rode demo

How much are they? I usually ride alone also
    Data plan is about $11 per month.

Unit runs about $450.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    That's good. 15 psi. That prolly means you're fairly slack as well on the head tube. You're good to go then.

The thing with Braille though is just watch your speed. And you'll probably have to skip most of the features (step-downs) which is the real key to Braille.

fc
    ah come on!? no way you have to skip anything on Braille when on a Hardtail vs. Full suspension! I ride it on my Chameleon and I hit every feature. Furthermore I think my PR on the hardtail is only 20 sec slower than the Firebird!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by conoat View Post
    ah come on!? no way you have to skip anything on Braille when on a Hardtail vs. Full suspension! I ride it on my Chameleon and I hit every feature. Furthermore I think my PR on the hardtail is only 20 sec slower than the Firebird!
    Of course you don't have to. Not even with a rigid fork.

Just need to have more skill. Might have to slow down just a smidge.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm still frickin sore from demo ride sunday. Gosh I'm old.

mtbr member
    I'm still frickin sore from demo ride sunday. Gosh I'm old.
    Itís a big ride. If I do 2 laps Iím cashed out for a couple days, I weigh around 240 kitted up so gravity isnít my friend going uphill.

fc
    Itís a big ride. If I do 2 laps Iím cashed out for a couple days, I weigh around 240 kitted up so gravity isnít my friend going uphill.

Cashed out. Love it!!!

So i took my kid there after he hadn't ridden for 6 months because of hero dirt conditions. We had so much fun at Flow Trail that I followed the group up Sulphur.

Halfway up Sulphur, his legs started locking up. He looked at me and asked, "dad, are we at the car soon?". I had that look like I ate a a canary. "Uhh... we're going to braille."

He had that cashed out look. "Well do you have any food?" Mothertrucker, I had zero food. Zero! I mooched, mooched, mooched. We made it out. He hasn't been back there. Oh, and he's 190 lbs riding a Wreckerning. I'm so dumb sometimes.
    IPA will save America

Nobody

Ditto, Iím 245 in my B-Day suit and two laps at Demo a couple weeks ago bonked me during the climb up Sulphur. Iím still convinced what really zaps my energy is the descent on Flow. It is a deceptively physical trail followed by a grinder climb out.

I do much better when doing 2 laps in Braille. Plus itís also less climbing overall.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Ditto, Iím 245 in my B-Day suit and two laps at Demo a couple weeks ago bonked me during the climb up Sulphur. Iím still convinced what really zaps my energy is the descent on Flow. It is a deceptively physical trail followed by a grinder climb out.

I do much better when doing 2 laps in Braille. Plus itís also less climbing overall.
    For sure less climbing. And Flow is a 15 minute quad burn. Lots of pumping. Or leg suspension.
    IPA will save America