Felton - Roaring camp train track off limit enforcement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Felton - Roaring camp train track off limit enforcement

So my buddy and I rode the train track Monday from Scotts Valley to UCSC like we've done hundreds of time... but this time a working crew stopped us and told us the track (we were almost at pogonip parking lot) was private property and are enforcing it now. They normally give first time notice (he carried a camera thought didn't use this time as it was out) then $150 fine the next time. Rangers will also do that.

Apparently 3 bikers (!) fell off the bridge and 1 died this year and the new boss is enforcing a no trespassing rule now.

I was aware of 1 rider who fell down and landed on the sand banks 60'+ below (son of a VineHill teacher we know) but 2 more did that and one actually died.
    Whoa, that is scary. wonder if that happened before they fixed the huge missing gag they had on the bridge at one point.

Just letting you know...

-Alain

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I will still ride the tracks, as will hundreds of other riders. I will ride knowing the consequences and knowing that I have the perfect resources to out run the rangers.

I like mtn biking, too
    Yeah, I got that speech too. The thing is, $150 is cheaper than getting hit by a car and I really can't see how you could possibly fall off the bridge unless you were extremely inebriated or high or suicidal and purposefully trying. I guess if you were really, really skinny. Luckily that isn't my problem.

I was talking with Mr. Toads about this recently - he had a great idea of approaching the state parks about a better route through HC to Rincon. These things take time though.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I think this will blow over...as soon as the Darwin Award crew stops falling off the trestles!

Regardless, I don't think the workers can issue tickets, and the rangers have better things to do (unlike Midpen rangers).
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    extremely inebriated or high or suicidal and purposefully trying.
    That is near Santa Cruz, right? Could be all four factors at the same time.

..seriously though, could be slippery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Felton - Roaring camp train track off limit enforcement

I remember racing the train across the trestle all the way through the tunnel back in the good old days. Couldn't imagine falling off it, I probably crossed it 500 times growing up. I do remember a girl from my high school fell of it in the late 80's but I would imagine she fell into one or more of the catagories already listed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I really can't see how you could possibly fall off the bridge unless you were extremely inebriated or high or suicidal and purposefully trying. I guess if you were really, really skinny.
    Those were 3 bikers, so not likely the above and fell off the sides.

The one I know who fell, from talking to people that were there and came back looking for him the next day again, was hauling ass over the trestles as he was playing the rabbit for the high school MTB club. They came up on his bike minutes later on the bridge and saw a dent in the sand below... did anyone hear about 3 cases including a death ?

for a while they had a big missing gap and i could easily see a child fall through, or tweak you front wheel and crash there... surprised it took that long to put a baseboard there.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    Those were 3 bikers, so not likely the above and fell off the sides.

The one I know who fell, from talking to people that were there and came back looking for him the next day again, was hauling ass over the trestles as he was playing the rabbit for the high school MTB club. They came up on his bike minutes later on the bridge and saw a dent in the sand below... did anyone hear about 3 cases including a death ?

for a while they had a big missing gap and i could easily see a child fall through, or tweak you front wheel and crash there... surprised it took that long to put a baseboard there.
    Matt(the person you are referencing who fell off of the bridge) was not with the team. One of the parent volunteers who was riding with the middle school branch of SCMCT saw the bike on the trestle and then found him in the sand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm a major railfan, but I would love to see that lame tourist train eliminated. That land could be better used for human powered transportation and recreation...soon enough I guess. You would have to be pretty thick to manage falling off that trestle.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by kc929 View Post
    I'm a major railfan, but I would love to see that lame tourist train eliminated. That land could be better used for human powered transportation and recreation...soon enough I guess. You would have to be pretty thick to manage falling off that trestle.
    Yeah, I think Roaring camp could generate revenue from offering an easement of sorts to mountain bikers and people hiking and down to the river. Certainly the gigantic concession stand they are building there would be a fun place to hang out after a ride, or a hike or a swim.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah, I think Roaring camp could generate revenue from offering an easement of sorts to mountain bikers and people hiking and down to the river. Certainly the gigantic concession stand they are building there would be a fun place to hang out after a ride, or a hike or a swim.
    Anyone else think that it is BS that they put that new concession stand right in the middle of the freaking road. Now i have so go around it instead of riding in a straight line. First world problems.