Family Friendly Mothers Day Ride 5/10 11am- Mtbr.com
    CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker

Family Friendly Mothers Day Ride 5/10 11am

So you can spin this at least two ways.

#1 If your wife is the type that wants a day at the spa with no interruptions go ahead and take her there and then bring the kids for a great ride that will tire them out so they'll sleep well and not bug mom.

#2 If your wife likes to spend the day doing something fun with the family to remind herself why being a mother is so great, bring the whole family out for a great ride.

We plan on doing the second option with dinner afterwards at my wifes favorite mexican restaurant in Santa Cruz, Tampico's Kitchen.

I posted this description up about 2 weeks ago but here it is again.

Who's up for a family/kid/beginner friendly ride up Waddell Creek Trail this Sunday? We pack a lunch and bike the 6mi. to the bike rack and then hike the remaining 1/2 mile to Berry Falls to eat our lunch. We heard there is another falls about 1 mile farther up that we might explore if we are feeling adventurous.

We plan on getting to the parking lot (link here) at 11am and be rolling by 11:30.

Here is some video of the trail to give you an idea of how (non)technical it is.

My younger daughter is 8yo and my older daughter is 13yo. Both got back to the car with big smiles on their faces. The first time out we discovered that there are a lot of flying bugs and glasses are highly recommend (even cheap ones from Rite Aid work just fine).

This video shows what I would consider the most technical section of the ride. My wife is definitely getting better as she makes it look easy.

Here is a nice write-up I found describing the ride up...

and a pic of the reward for all the hard work.
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

Paper or plastic?
    12 miles ride? That'd a bit much for my kids.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mmm
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    12 miles ride? That'd a bit much for my kids.
    Don't hide behind your kids JC.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    12 very flat miles. You would be supprised at what kids are capable of. When I was in 4th grade I walked 20 miles for a walk-a-thon. I would say that any kids 5 and over that are comfortable on their bikes could do this ride. A majority of the ride back is slightly down hill.

Natural body armor
    First off great idea.
    Wife and older daughter are out camping in a a mother-daughter event in Big Basin, so it's me and my 4-1/2 old downhill daredevil.

She's been on 4-5mi rides on her little 12" bike but I'm not sure she could do this.
    I'm looking for a trail-a-bike (but may not find one on time) or worst case would be a wee-ride for her (but she's now pretty cramped in that one)

ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    I'm looking for a trail-a-bike
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/1160489503.html

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by tsimbu
    12 very flat miles. You would be supprised at what kids are capable of. When I was in 4th grade I walked 20 miles for a walk-a-thon. I would say that any kids 5 and over that are comfortable on their bikes could do this ride. A majority of the ride back is slightly down hill.

You'd be lazy to find out how lazy my kids are. Nonetheless, I shall suggest it to the home CEO.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Ausfahrt - gut!
    Nice family ride. Unfortunately can't make it for Mothers Day but I will keep it in mind for Fathers Day!

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    She's been on 4-5mi rides on her little 12" bike but I'm not sure she could do this. I'm looking for a trail-a-bike (but may not find one on time) or worst case would be a wee-ride for her (but she's now pretty cramped in that one)
    Looks like it's time to upgrade. My 8yo rides a bike very similar to the one below and at 4ft. tall she has the seat almost all the way up. She started riding at 5yo and was just a little stretched out on it (but she was/is short).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/1155108361.html

mtbr member
    looks great. my wife's a work in progress and just got back to riding. i still have to pull my daughter + trailer, shes only 2.5yo. paved roads for now. its always nice to see you and your family ride; even on the wednesday rides at ptb.

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Quote Originally Posted by lamdman1976
    looks great. my wife's a work in progress and just got back to riding. i still have to pull my daughter + trailer, shes only 2.5yo. paved roads for now.
    Bullpucky!! Just strap the little rugrat in tighter. Ha ha.

Here are some photos of a ride on a cold autumn day at Longridge when my youngest was around 2yo. Total towing weight was around 100lbs with kids and equipment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Natural body armor
    Looks like it's time to upgrade. My 8yo rides a bike very similar to the one below and at 4ft. tall she has the seat almost all the way up. She started riding at 5yo and was just a little stretched out on it (but she was/is short).

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/1155108361.html
    The 12" is now fine for her, she has an inseam of 17" and the 16" bike is still too big for her.

Thanks for the trailer bike link, I'll be checking it today.
    Seems like 11AM is not going to work for us, as I have to pickup the rest of the family in boulder creek at 1PM.
    I'm assuming the ride would be around 3+ hours (including lunch).
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Seems like 11AM is not going to work for us, as I have to pickup the rest of the family in boulder creek at 1PM.
    I'm assuming the ride would be around 3+ hours (including lunch).
    Would you want to try later and include the whole family? We are flexible since no one else has said that they wanted to go. The first time we went out there we started around 5pm and made it out just before sundown - 3pm would work well also. I don't think I could get the clan up and out much earlier.

Natural body armor
    Would you want to try later and include the whole family? We are flexible since no one else has said that they wanted to go. The first time we went out there we started around 5pm and made it out just before sundown - 3pm would work well also. I don't think I could get the clan up and out much earlier.
    We can be there as soon as 2PM
    I got the trail-a-bike and the little one seem to love it (pic nic for two at Vasona)
    So if in the afternoon we're in. Let me know
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    We can be there as soon as 2PM
    2pm works for us. We'll see you there. Bring a change of clothes if you want to join us for dinner at Tampico's. It's pretty casual but I like to change out of my biking shorts at least if I'm gonna sit down and eat.

Travis

Natural body armor
    2pm works for us. We'll see you there. Bring a change of clothes if you want to join us for dinner at Tampico's. It's pretty casual but I like to change out of my biking shorts at least if I'm gonna sit down and eat.

Travis
    Sounds good, we'll be there.
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Good job! Long Ridge route?

Hi,
    What route did you take to that bench on Long Ridge? I've been wanting to take my kids out there w/ your same setup (6 and 4 yr olds on trail-a-bike + burley), but most routes seem too steep...

Thanks for posting this Waddel creek trail, I'll be checking it out one of these days soon. Mothers Day would've been an option, but museums are free in SJ and SF, cant pass that up....
    See you on the trails,
    Norm

Bullpucky!! Just strap the little rugrat in tighter. Ha ha.

Here are some photos of a ride on a cold autumn day at Longridge when my youngest was around 2yo. Total towing weight was around 100lbs with kids and equipment.

Natural body armor
    Wow, what a great time!
    Started around 2.30PM, it was really windy in the parking lot, it got much better after the gate.
    The trail is great for the kids, shady and fun, and the waterfall is awesome.
    We topped it with excellent Mex food at Tampico's Kitchen in SC, then after the short drive home the kids got a quick bath and slipped in their beds without a sound
    Awesome, thanks guys!

"There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

Ausfahrt - gut!

Nice Ride Suggestion

We did a short notice family ride on Sunday and I remembered your suggestion for Waddlle Creek. It was right on and we had a real good time, thanks! The waterfall was still impressive for August.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 1