Fairfax area trail route recommendation- Mtbr.com
    Ride More - Suffer Less

Fairfax area trail route recommendation

I am going to be in Fairfax Sunday and looking for a fun route...2 to 4 hour ride would be great....

aka baycat
    Tamarancho. Do one loop CW and one CCW or do both the same way. The loop is about 9 miles and it doing it reverse gives it a different feel. That should kill about 2 hours. And then stop by Gestalt for a beer and brat. You can hang your bike in the bar and hang out with like minded people.

I might be out there early Sunday on my SS going slow (getting back after an injury). I usually do one loop and then go off and hit Pine Mountain trails.

http://www.sunshinebicycle.com/new/c...amp-tamarancho

mtbr member
    Take a peek at my website (link is in my signature). The map should make it easy for you to find several rides (including Camp Tamarancho) right around Fairfax.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Great, thanks. I have been wanting to do that loop. I know the guys well who started the original Gestalt in SF and was there for opening day in Fairfax, cant wait to get back...

NedwannaB

You picked good day

Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar
    I know the guys well who started the original Gestalt in SF and was there for opening day in Fairfax, cant wait to get back...
    Today was really blustery but not in the pub. Although lots of drooling over the Ibis's line hanging on the wall to demo.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Tamarancho is a not "fun" ride. There's some kind of magic trick out there that you have to climb all the way out and all the way back, AND you have to pay money for this.

Additionally, I believe that the trail was designed so you cannot go faster than 15 mph without crashing into something.

Tamarancho is a trainning ride, a bragging ride about how many switchbacks you cleared, but it is not a fun, cheap or enjoyable ride.

BTW, even the ride to the trail head is a death march.

Pine mountain is much more epic ride and much funner ride... yes, I know funner is not a word.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick
    Tamarancho is a not "fun" ride. There's some kind of magic trick out there that you have to climb all the way out and all the way back, AND you have to pay money for this.
    Thats pretty funny, Ive been on loops that seem like this..

Unfortunately I was not able to make it out today to find out for myself, maybe this week...

Is there single/half track on Pine Mountain?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Additionally, I believe that the trail was designed so you cannot go faster than 15 mph without crashing into something.

Tamarancho is a trainning ride, a bragging ride about how many switchbacks you cleared, but it is not a fun, cheap or enjoyable ride.

Pine mountain is much more epic ride and much funner ride... yes, I know funner is not a word.
    If you think Tamarancho is a "climbing" ride how the hell can you think Pine Mountain is better? I love both, but Pine is a lot more work....talk about climbing both ways.

RipRoar - Pine Mountain is a fire road, there is no legal single track off of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The difference between Pine and Tamarancho is that Pine is a hell of a climb ( yes, both ways) but the downhills are way sweet. Much "funner" than that one little rocky desent at tamarancho.

I suppose Tamarancho's philosophy is why make downhills when you can make a bazillion switchbacks instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Gotcha. If you're looking for fun DH there's much better options in the area.

Like a boss.

I'm trying to figure out if you're being serious or sarcastic, and I honestly can't tell.

Wanna have a good time in Fairfax? Talk to the folks at Sunshine, FC, or Gestalt. It's not rocket science.

Pine Mountain's great... on Turkey Day.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

Retro on Steroids
    Funny you should say that. My friend Maurice, the publisher of Dirt Rag, is out from PA, and that was the first place I took him on Saturday. We rode up from Porcupine and came in from the back side, B-17 Extension, did a partial loop on Wagon Wheel and Serpentine, then for a smoking downhill I took him off the camp and down the Roller Coaster into Cascade Canyon ending at the bottom of Repack.

I hit Tamarancho at least once a week. If I only get in one ride, I ride there.

I used to camp there in the fifties with my Boy Scout troop.

NedwannaB

Save it!

I smell troll......

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am being serious, I've done Tamarancho three times: The first I almost busted my tail bone, the second time i gashed my knee, the third time I bruised my hip. The only cool thing about tamarancho is it's very close to M&G'S.

And no I am not a rookie rider... ridden Tam, Downieville, Sea Otter, Pacfica, Santa Cruz, etc...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How do you hurt yourself at Tamarancho?

mtbr member
    I didn't realize 1.5 miles of climbing up paved road that never really gets too steep could be equated to a "death march."

Retro on Steroids
    I am being serious, I've done Tamarancho three times: The first I almost busted my tail bone, the second time i gashed my knee, the third time I bruised my hip.
    Then you won't be in my 64-year-old way. It's not like I never got a scratch on a ride.

And no I am not a rookie rider... ridden Tam, Downieville, Sea Otter, Pacfica, Santa Cruz, etc...
    I'm not a rookie either. My FIRST off-road ride was in 1973 in Tamarancho on a coaster brake klunker. In the fifties, my Boy Scout troop camped there.

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    We rode up from Porcupine and came in from the back side, B-17 Extension, did a partial loop on Wagon Wheel and Serpentine, then for a smoking downhill I took him off the camp and down the Roller Coaster into Cascade Canyon ending at the bottom of Repack.
    You weren't out there in the morning going ccw through the Wagonwheel rock garden were you?

-slide

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon
    You weren't out there in the morning going ccw through the Wagonwheel rock garden were you?
    We went that direction but we started after 11, so it wouldn't have been morning. The time stamp on a photo I took on B-17 is after 1:00.

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    We went that direction but we started after 11, so it wouldn't have been morning. The time stamp on a photo I took on B-17 is after 1:00.
    Didn't think it was you, but there were a couple other guys doing a similar ride Sat morning. Good call taking your buddy down b-17. B-17 extension -> b-17 -< down to that second fr crossing is so fast and has so much flow I often turn around and do it again if I'm out there on my own.

-slide

Like a boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon
    Didn't think it was you, but there were a couple other guys doing a similar ride Sat morning. Good call taking your buddy down b-17. B-17 extension -> b-17 -< down to that second fr crossing is so fast and has so much flow I often turn around and do it again if I'm out there on my own.

-slide
    I call that part "Ewoks" 'cause it makes me feel like an Ewok in Return of the Jedi.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    First let me give respect to an original mountain biker.

Second, I don't recommend popping wheelies in the grocery store parking lot pre-ride( See busted tail bone).

Third, jumping your bike at tamarancho is very risky, as there always seems to be a tree root going across the trail at a 45 degree angle exactly where you want to land( See aforementioned 15mph speed limit theory)

NedwannaB

Wait a minute......

jumping your bike at tamarancho is very risky, as there always seems to be a tree root going across the trail at a 45 degree angle exactly where you want to land
    You do know this is called "mountain" biking right?? If not, I defer this on to the vetran Repack Rider to elaborate on it further.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Normally I would agree with you, but I only seem to fall at Tamarancho when jumping.

Annadel, no proplems jumping, unless I get my weight too far forward coming down South Burma

China Camp, no problems jumping on the "Extra Special" trails

Carlmont( a jump park) no problems, unless I case a landing.

The Magic Carpet ride in Santa Cruz... same story, different day.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    I rode Tamarancho for the first time Monday, and I had a blast.

WWYD?
    First let me give respect to an original mountain biker.

Second, I don't recommend popping wheelies in the grocery store parking lot pre-ride( See busted tail bone).

Third, jumping your bike at tamarancho is very risky, as there always seems to be a tree root going across the trail at a 45 degree angle exactly where you want to land( See aforementioned 15mph speed limit theory)
    Try a jump on Serpentine near the Goldman/Serpentine junction, its pretty open with no roots.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I finally rode Tamarancho for the first time today and thought it was a great loop. I couldn't image anyone into MTB not enjoying this ride unless your only into shuttling or still learning your bike skills. It does not have the high speed downhill sections of say NorthStar but Im not into that much anymore so it was perfect.

I think the trail design was great and was a nice balance of climbing and descending. Ill be back for sure.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Bump..

mtbr member
    You're right on the money RipRoar. And given the size of the Tamarancho property, the folks who built these trails really worked some wonders. And I think Wagon Wheel is my fav. trail on Marin County Open Space District land.

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss
    given the size of the Tamarancho property, the folks who built these trails really worked some wonders.
    Jim Jacobsen and the Bicycle Trails Council are gods!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

And the FKFW

Don't forget the Forest Knolls Freewheelers.

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by jchewey
    Don't forget the Forest Knolls Freewheelers.
    That's right, my bad! And anyone else who helped build or maintain the trails are gods!

mtbr member
    I rode Tamarancho this morning for the first time in just about forever. For my short travel steel hardtail, it's plenty fast for a weekday jaunt.

I've been riding at China Camp fairly regularly on weekday mornings but have gotten spooked by several recent run ins with a finger-wagging ranger for alleged speeding (before 8 am, even!). I think the price of admission for Tamarancho is a steal, just to avoid the threat of a $300+ speeding ticket.

mtbr member
    $3oo for a speeding ticket in a state park?

"Hey Ranger Joe, I'm actually from Canada and my passport is back at the hotel. You can mail the ticket to me at...."

Members who have read this thread: 0