Exploring Coyote Hills in Fremont- Mtbr.com
    Just Ride!!!!!

Exploring Coyote Hills in Fremont

Although it only tops just below 300', it's only 3 miles from my house. There is plenty of dirt trails to explore, some single tracks (legal and illegal). You can easily total your mileage to 15~20 miles. Some steep short climbs and steep descends and really nice views. I was able to do 10 miles of dirt riding of the 16miles with over 1000' of climbing and burning over 1200 calories. Trails are dry and in very good condition. I'd say Coyote Hills is more of a kick back trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (89.1 KB, 267 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (100.7 KB, 254 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (87.5 KB, 239 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (108.9 KB, 276 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (114.3 KB, 247 views)

Just Ride!!!!!
    More Pics.
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (78.9 KB, 252 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (66.4 KB, 247 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (99.1 KB, 244 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (151.4 KB, 246 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (127.2 KB, 256 views)

Just Ride!!!!!
    Data Collected from Garmin 305

Derailleurless
    Thanks for sharing the photos. I live in Hayward and have only biked at Coyote Hills three times. Don't knock it -- it's a good quick ride that can at the very least keep you on your bike when time is short or when the weather sucks (like that ever happens around here, right???).

You want a fun downhill? Climb the paved road from the parking area to the top of the quary (bottom edge of your photo, basically to the big white rectangle). I believe that's a retired military rifle range up there. Keep heading south, as if you're riding towards the toll plaza. You'll find some tasty steep singletrack that makes quick work of getting you back down to the perimeter trail.

Not much, and probably illegal, but it's something.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Just Ride!!!!!
    I've lived in Fremont for two years now and this is my first time MTBing Coyote Hills. I've always done roadies there but since it's been dry, I gave it a shot. I'll try your recommendations next time.

Have you tried Garin Regional Park in Hayward? I heard it's pretty good and I might give it a shot.

Derailleurless
    I rode Garin a few times and wasn't too jazzed by it. Mainly open fire roads, not much tree cover. Good climbs, though.

Spooked a herd of cattle hiding in a creek ravine there once; caused a minor stampede that scared the bejeezus out of me and coulda resulted in a problem. So I can't honestly say that it is not exciting.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Thanks for sharing the photos. I live in Hayward and have only biked at Coyote Hills three times. Don't knock it -- it's a good quick ride that can at the very least keep you on your bike when time is short or when the weather sucks (like that ever happens around here, right???).

You want a fun downhill? Climb the paved road from the parking area to the top of the quary (bottom edge of your photo, basically to the big white rectangle). I believe that's a retired military rifle range up there. Keep heading south, as if you're riding towards the toll plaza. You'll find some tasty steep singletrack that makes quick work of getting you back down to the perimeter trail.

Not much, and probably illegal, but it's something.
    Actually, in my 6 years in Fremont, and many trips to CH, I've only seen that rifle range used once. There are 2 fun single tracks from the Nike site that go back down to the fireroad that goes alongside the bay.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Actually, in my 6 years in Fremont, and many trips to CH, I've only seen that rifle range used once. There are 2 fun single tracks from the Nike site that go back down to the fireroad that goes alongside the bay.
    There's also a fun BMX jump park down by the business parks on Paseo Padre.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    There's also a fun BMX jump park down by the business parks on Paseo Padre.
    If it's legal, please do tell more.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Not an "official" BMX track...

Continue down Paseo Padre, over hwy 84, it then becomes Thornton Blvd.(Newark). Continue South-East on Thornton, past Sun Microsystems' East Campus, for about a mile, past the Don Edwards Preserve entrance and boat ramps. It's on the right side, just before the Shipping warehouses, and across the street from the nearly-new houses. FYI: Kids on 50cc's are ruining it for everyone, as the residents are complaining about the noise.

~On the subject of Coyote/Alameda Creek, a friendly reminder that there's a group ride tomorrow starting at 8 am. Meet up at Patterson Ranch entrance, or by 8:30 at the Union City Blvd undercrossing.

Zorg, you're still in rght??
    Last edited by Obi; 04-28-2006 at 10:18 PM.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Continue down Paseo Padre, over hwy 84, it then becomes thornton. Continue South-East for about a mile, past Edwards preserve entrance. It's on the right side, just before the Shipping warehouses, and across the street from the nearly-new houses. FYI: Kids on 50cc's are ruining it for everyone, as the residents are complaining about the noise.

~On the subject of Coyote/Alameda Creek, a friendly reminder that there's a group ride tomorrow starting at 8 am. Meet up at Patterson Ranch entrance, or by 8:30 at the Union City Blvd undercrossing.

Zorg, you're still in rght??
    Unless I get a veto from the household, my plan is to take off at 7am from the house, ride down to CH by 7:30am, climb a little from the trail up the ridge and then join the ride to the house.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Continue down Paseo Padre, over hwy 84, it then becomes thornton. Continue South-East for about a mile, past Edwards preserve entrance. It's on the right side, just before the Shipping warehouses, and across the street from the nearly-new houses. FYI: Kids on 50cc's are ruining it for everyone, as the residents are complaining about the noise.
    Is that "Shells"?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'll have to check this out. On weekdays, I usually only ride Waterdog, Skeggs or Mission Peak... it'll be nice to add a bit of variety without having to drive much further (gas prices $uck)

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Too many questions...

OK, I'm super busy, but here's the Link for the ride Zorg and I are talking about.

Also, no it isn't Shells, that's Foster City, we're referring to Salt Flats.

Gotta Go, I'll log-in to do my thing later tonight. Nothing personal everyone, I'm just working full-time now and we're busy.

Zorg...sounds like a plan. Meet up no matter what at the undercrossing, paved side.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Here's an overhead to help...

Gotta love "Google Earth". This overhead should help sort things out.

Obi..

mtbr member
    Anyone wanna do a quick ride here later tonight? mayber 6:30ish?

My first time at CH.. where should I park on that map ^

Just Ride!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    Take Paterson Ranch RD all the way into the park. I don't know if there is a fee or you can park outside the park on Paseo Padre Pkwy and just bike into the park.

Paper or plastic?
    Anyone wanna do a quick ride here later tonight? mayber 6:30ish?

If somehow, I magically get out of work early, I might go there. Mecam's advice is good: park on Patterson Ranch road and Paseo Padre. Ride into the park, go up the ridges, it's a short but good workout. Then, go up the asphalt road toward the Nike silo site, follow the ST to the right, marvel at how deep the quarry is (enjoy it while you can, it's gonna become a lake in a few years) and then go down the ST toward the bay.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    made it out there for a short spin. Not a bad way to split up my commute down 880.
    go up the ridges, it's a short but good workout.
    my reaction not without my granny gear. Actually I went up one hill, and saw about 2 more equally as steep. I figured I had enough hiking at kennedy so I turned back to the perimter

Then, go up the asphalt road toward the Nike silo site, follow the ST to the right, marvel at how deep the quarry is (enjoy it while you can, it's gonna become a lake in a few years) and then go down the ST toward the bay.

Have fun.

I didnt break any speed records going down it though.

Paper or plastic?
    made it out there for a short spin. Not a bad way to split up my commute down 880.

my reaction not without my granny gear. Actually I went up one hill, and saw about 2 more equally as steep. I figured I had enough hiking at kennedy so I turned back to the perimter

I didnt break any speed records going down it though.
    Ooops. I forgot to let you know that the ridges are not SS friendly. Actually, one of them is not even granny gear friendly. But, it's a good workout. I could not make it out there last night. Next week, I should definitely be able to go out for a spin mid week after work. I'll either do Kenney or Mission Peaks depending on my timing.

Members who have read this thread: 0