Excellent Annadel Map. Trails and topo in color- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Excellent Annadel Map. Trails and topo in color

I'd never seen this before. Seems pretty good to me, except I thought it was Pig Flat, not Big Flat. Who cares? Either one you call it, it's not flat. LOL

http://ci.santa-rosa.ca.us/doclib/Do...del_2004_C.pdf

mtbr member
    Nice find! I hadn't seen it before either.

Thanks.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Very cool - thanks for sharing! Has anyone seen similiar maps for other areas?

Slowest Rider
    What a great map! Very badly needed too.

I especially like the colored contour lines that eliminate the need for numbers, with bold every 100'.

Who made this map?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr dismember

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    Who made this map?
    Someone is due credit. A minor point, I believe it is "Pig Flat" rather than "Big Flat".

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's from the city of Santa Rosa's public documents.

They have lots of good stuff
    Here's a sweet one of Howarth/Spring Lake which is the best I'd seen of this too:
    http://ci.santa-rosa.ca.us/doclib/Do...ake_2005_C.pdf

The City of Santa Rosa dowloadable maps page can be found here:
    http://ci.santa-rosa.ca.us/doclib/Pages/Maps.aspx

Here's all the official bike routes in town:
    http://ci.santa-rosa.ca.us/doclib/Do...keRoutes_E.pdf

All the categories they have maps in:
    city facilities and parking
    city bus
    creeks and the environment
    downtown
    economic development
    fire
    general interest
    housing
    parks and recreation
    Planning Development and Land Use
    police,redevelopment
    streets and storm drains
    water and sewer
    water conservation

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    A minor point, I believe it is "Pig Flat" rather than "Big Flat".
    You're right. A printed map that I have and another online map also label it as "Pig Flat".
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Nice map.
    So with this map, and maybe one that has distances, I'd like to try to figure out the route of the bike race that will be there in a couple weeks.
    Starts going up Canyon trail, ends going down Rough Go, and is 18.5 miles long. Any guesses?
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    Nice map, but it's kind of hard on the eyes! Here's a link to the map from the state park brochure that's been aggregated into a single image- and it's the one I most often reference too.

https://test.ogrehut.com/Tree//Bay-N...delParkMap.png

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss
    Nice map, but it's kind of hard on the eyes!
    You're absolutely correct. The map does contain lots of information and can show a lot that many other maps can't (e.g., correspond photographic terrain detail to the precise routing and elevation of each trail), but between the jumble made up of a blotchy aerial photo background and the over-dense and multi-color elevation curves, legibility and clarity were clearly not high on the priority list during its design.

In fact, I think there have been some backward steps taken in the common sense employed in map usage in general lately, with the proliferation of free and online map resources and satellite imagery. This is a pet peeve of mine.

One of the worst examples of these is the overuse of Google Earth screenshots as map images in TV news stories. A lot of times I encounter a screenshot showing a marker labeled "208 Pine Terrace" (or whatever) as the site of a home fire and the image includes nothing other than the surrounding dozen or so blocks where nothing else is labaled. Well, thanks for that. I now can see that it's a nice tree-lined street and that 11 of the neighbors of the burning house have swimming pools, and there are three larger rectangular buildings with gray rooftops a couple of blocks away. So, how exactly does that help me to place this location?

Wouldn't it have been much more informative and much easier on the eyes to show a simple diagram with a plain background and a couple of lines representing the nearest major avenues or freeways, perhaps with a couple of additional labeled dots showing some nearby town names? But, no. Since aerial imagery is the newest thing in mapping, that automatically means that it's better, right?

Similar cases occur when they show a map marking the location of a coastal town, say, affected by a storm. Alright, so this is a town situated in a terrain that looks like a million blotchy patches of color next to a big body of bluish blotches that probably represent the sea. Maybe even a couple of neighboring town names are labeled as well. But do I know which of the squiggly blotches is the Blindsnake River that I might possibly know in the area and what of the earth-colored patchy quiltwork might be the Goosepimple Mountains? Nope. I guess they could have included some more labeled geographic features, whose labels would have been more legible on a plainer background. But, no. Who needs legibility when you can show the map at an angle, right? "Ooooh!"

You know. Because, just as it is with most things based on technology these days, simply because we can, we should.

But that's a topic for a whole different thread...

mtbr dismember

Even simpler version

Nice map, but it's kind of hard on the eyes! Here's a link to the map from the state park brochure that's been aggregated into a single image- and it's the one I most often reference too.
    Several years ago I made my own Annadel map using a really crappy map I found somewhere. Much easier to read on the trail: http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Maps/Annadel_Map.pdf

Slowest Rider

https://test.ogrehut.com/Tree//Bay-N...delParkMap.png
    I agree this map is easier to read.

I also find that satellite images rarely add much of value to maps. They're often just a bunch of gray fine grain clutter. You can't easily see the features you want like trails and streams. A simple map highlighting the features of interest is of much greater value.

I'd still prefer the first color contour map if only they'd had eliminated the satellite images that just make a bunch of clutter.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    These are excellent maps. You gotta buy a physical map, but they're waterproof, tear-proof, and easy to read
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

It's always greener
    I agree about the overuse of Google earth...and I do dig your map Wherewolf...but all that aside, in this case, Annadel is so flat that you really don't need a topo.

Casey

Annadel Map

Annadel Map
    For some reason that URL isn't working for me. The others are ??
    I like the maps done by "bikemapdude" they have a lot of info and detail.

Attached is a map that I doctored-up for a ride we did.
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Actually, the representation on OpenCycleMap of the trails in Annadel is just as good as, and probably even better than, any Annadel map you can find online.

(You might have to zoom another level or two in order to see the trail names.)

mtbr dismember

Pretty vs. practical

I love playing around with Google Earth and interactive maps. I appreciate several of the maps shown here, and they are fun to examine and manipulate on my computer. But the one I want to take with me and use on the trail is mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I love playing around with Google Earth and interactive maps. I appreciate several of the maps shown here, and they are fun to examine and manipulate on my computer. But the one I want to take with me and use on the trail is mine.
    It's hard to argue with that. I like your map especially because of the clear distinction between singletracks and fire roads.

Members who have read this thread: 0