Enduro race league?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Enduro race league?

I'm pretty new to mtb and haven't done much racing (except 4 Downieville XC events), but do casual race leagues exist in MTB?

In skiing, beer leagues or locals leagues used to be common and popular in ski towns. They were mellow affairs of people who just wanted to race and have a good time, often were weeknights or one day on the weekend, and not a huge event with the best racers anywhere - just folks having fun.

Does anything similar exist for enduro (or XC for that matter) racing?? I know Northstar has a 4 or 5 event DH race series, which looks close. But the only enduro-style races I know about are the Cal Enduro Series races. There are 4 or 5, but spread all over the state.

In my dream world, there is a Tahoe/Downieville/Sierra enduro race league with 5-10 mellow low-cost, low-bling, fun races. Does such a thing exist?? If not, why not?

mtbr member
    In Bellingham they have Wednesday night DH/super-D events. Like 15 bucks entry and look to be a ton of fun.

dw22107
    Jan 2008
    There used to be a lot of good grass roots racing in Nor Cal. There isn't anymore or i lost touch. DFL cross series, North Pole Cross in downtown Occidental at the park; Ring of Fire also put on by Gianni that is how the grasshopper started. Never tried Red Hill fun. There are places above town in Arnold where you could do grass roots enduro race mixing in some of the moto trails. Post race BBQ and brews would be easy. Racing just got too expensive, priorities change and I still would rather do the old Humbug Course than the new one. None of the current XC races interest me.

mtbr member
    Too many lawyers for that.

Check out Clipped in Races. Based out of Sac, they put on tons of awesome events year round. Their Prarie City Race series sounds exactly like what you describe...
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Id say its a combination of the local land managers and public pressure that limits organized races in the Bay Area.

There are mid week short track races in Marin and Santa Rosa during spring and summer. These have small entry fees. They are basically a short lap xc race. There are some underground unpermitted races thruout Bay Area. SS races, cross events, multi surface races, a mini DH series. Some get advertised as a ride, but can turn into a race if you feel like it. Some of those events have gotten bigger and formalized and now have $60 entry fees.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Too many lawyers for that.

Check out Clipped in Races. Based out of Sac, they put on tons of awesome events year round. Their Prarie City Race series sounds exactly like what you describe...
    CIR and Prairie City Race series have a nice program. Definitely more organized than the bunch of dirtbag riders timing each other on courses that I was thinking of but looks quality. The Race series sounds about right. But..., I want in Tahoe.

Boardman, will you DM me a link or info on B'ham?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    CIR and Prairie City Race series have a nice program. Definitely more organized than the bunch of dirtbag riders timing each other on courses that I was thinking of but looks quality. The Race series sounds about right. But..., I want in Tahoe.

Boardman, will you DM me a link or info on B'ham?
    https://wmbcmtb.org/whatcom-world-cup/