Endurance Riders Wanted for Adventure Racing - SF BAY area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Endurance Riders Wanted for Adventure Racing - SF BAY area

I'm part of an adventure racing club called Racing With Giants based in SF and Palo Alto. We are 13 dedicated adventure racers. We want to expend and make more teams - we want to meet men and women who are already dedicated mountain bikers.

We are looking for mountain bikers who are into long distance MTBiking, 8, 12, 24 hours racing or just into long rides (i.e.: who can ride 4 hours non/stop or more and can ride about 40 miles / +4000' climb on trails). Mountain biking accounts generally for 50% of an adventure race so strong riders are an asset.

You need to be into EPIC days out, that's what adventure racing is about. Adventure races in California usually combine mountain biking, trekking (sections on foot), and most of the time kayaking. The course is not marked, you just get a map per team and choose your own route to find the check points that define the course. You have a limited time to complete the course. It's a grown-up version of a treasure hunt!

The races we do are anything lasting 8 to 36 hours non stop. Don't be put off by these lengths: we are normal people. Non of us is the archetype of the adventure racer: a masochistic endurance machines. We just have learned to manage our effort over a full day or more and you can easily do it too. When on of us gets tired we tow him/her and carry his/her gear - that's how we stay together.

The club owns 8 kayaks so you don't need to have your own to practice or race. We lend each other the gear we need to train and race. We help newcomers to get up to pace with the skills they need to improve kayaking, navigation (map reading), and even MTBiking skills.

You don't need to be a great runner to enter an adventure race. During races we may run a little, jog a little but mostly walk, particularly on long distances The terrain is usually too steep to run. Mountain bikers when on foot can climb trails like goats.... but go down like bears!.

We practice in the Bay Area, we have one group in SF who trains mostly in Marin. One on the Peninsula. We have set a training course in Marin (60 Check Points - 40 miles bike, 6 miles on foot). We often throw 5 to 10 miles on foot in the middle of ride. We practice paddling every Wednesday in Forster City. We like to go off trail (on foot, not on bikes) and love to add to a ride a river scramble or some bushwhacking. We like riding or trekking at night. We often do orienteering race (cheap and newbie friendly) to sharpen our map/compass reading skills.

Joining the club is free.

Contact me by PM if interested. Ask questions bellow (anything about AR if you want, I should be able to answer).

Here is a video featuring members of our team explaining what today's AR is about:

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Get rid of all the walking, running, orienteering, kayaking and bushwacking and it sounds awesome! I am guessing you guys deal with a fair amount of poison oak too. Sounds like a treat.
    "It's just that nobody likes Cornfish." francois

mtbr member
    that looks like incredible fun!

Is there anything in the auburn/folsom area?

ps, nicely done on the video.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Cornfish: yes, why bother while we could just be happy on mountain bikes!!!! Poison oak is pain, we avoid it as much as we can but sometimes there are no other choice than fend through it. To avoid the rash a good rub with laundry powder is a cheap trick if you don't have any Tecnu.

Redmr2_man: There are yet very few AR clubs. The only recourse so far to find people who are into AR near where you is to become a registered users on www.ARcalifornia.org *that give you access to a map ( http://arcalifornia.org/resources/racers-near-you ) showing adventure racers in your area and you can contact them individually by PM through their profile .

There is every year near Auburn/Folsom area a good 8 hours race (it was last month) organized by Big Blue Adventures http://www.bigblueadventure.com/pub/...PageName=INTRO . There are more races coming over the summer in Tahoe.

Safety Consultant
    Hey Julien, I'm sure you don't remember me but I rode with you quite a while back with a meetup group out at Tamarancho. You demonstrated the use of a tow rope by pulling me a good part of the way up Iron Springs Road. You are an animal! Good to see you on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey - yes I remember showing you what it feels like to be towed, how are you? MTBR forum looks great and forums are addictive, I have to be careful with it!
    Tempted to try adventure racing? We are trying to make an intermediate level team for a 6 hours race in Santa Cruz on June 25th.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I actually first got into adventure racing (after family and age curtailed my mountaineering, skydiving and other fun stuff). Migrated into more focused on mountain biking more recently. Should probably get back into AR. I never could secure stable team partners - ended up doing a bunch of 24+ races solo. Very meditative experience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    yes, keeping team mates is always an issue. Except us in the Bay Area, and Team Sore in Redding there is almost no "big teams" acting like clubs. That's why I post here. Most ARacers are mountain bikers so there is almost no better place to let people know about the sport.
    There is a 36 hours in Lake Tahoe (see Big Blue Adventures) coming on July 30th. I hope to race it. We have about 6 people going and we are looking for more team mates to build a second "fast" team.
    Are you in the Bay Area? We'll certainly pull a few long trainings before the event. You're welcome to join.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Axe, yes I'm interested if work doesn't prevent it. I wanted to send you a PM about it but because I haven't posted enough on MTBR I can't yet use the PM to send messages. If you don't mind: send me an e-mail address via PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

... and if we just ...

Julien i sent u a PM let me know if u got it.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    Sounds interesting. If you ever do anything in the east bay, let us know.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2010

Sacramento/Folsom/Auburn AR folks

Julien, great video and thanks for the training down in SLO a few weeks ago (I was in the Davis Bike Club kit).

Regarding Sacramento/Folsom/Auburn, we have a few adventure race and do some training from time-to-time, but nothing formalized or official ( I just maintain a FB group). If you are on Meet-up, check out Hammerin Wheels or Fattire Cycling, most of us are listed and ride frequently.

Gold Country Orienteering (GCO) is a club I belong to, for navigation and orienteering practice.

I found the best way to meet people is to vol at some races. Shoot me a PM if interested and I can set you in the right direction with Big Blue.

Hope to see you out there,

BTW, I suck at it but have a lot of fun.

Alan W

mtbr member
    Julien,

sent a PM,not sure if you got it