Emma McCrary Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Emma McCrary Advice

Is it generally safe(RE:break ins) to park near the bottom of the trail? There are 3 spots:
    at the trail head(4-5 spots)
    Near the train track bridge
    At the maintenance/utility parking lot on the corner of golf club and river.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I always park near the bus yard on Golf Club Drive

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Near the train track bridge might be the worst choice. It's kind of isolated, and most of the delinquent activity seems to happen along/ near the tracks.

I had about 15 gallons of gas siphoned out of my car from there once. Almost ran out of gas on 17 when driving back.. I had just filled up that morning in SJ and wasn't really looking at the gauge. Still better than a smashed window.. only cost me $50 or so

It was weekday morning, and I did notice a bunch of ratty looking RVs/vans camped there when I left. So beware if you see that.

mtbr member
    No, itís not safe to park anywhere in SC.

mtbr member
    There is a Costco overflow lot next to their gas station that is probably a reasonable option, or on-street near Harvey West park, or in the parking lot for Harvey West park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    No, itís not safe to park anywhere in SC.
    You aren't lying.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    On the weekends you can park in the city lot. I've never heard of anybody (other than RBoardman's friend) having problems there. But I don't park there anymore, so things may have changed.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    On the weekends you can park in the city lot. I've never heard of anybody having problems there.
    My friend had his tailgate pad stolen there. Not a huge deal, and Iím honestly not sure why the homeless donít steal these more often. They make great sleeping pads. Lol

default title
    Mar 2008
    RBoardman is correct - nowhere in Santa Cruz is particularly safe from vandalism. Nothing left in the car or truckbed, locking gas cap.
    If you do those things then your vehicle is relatively safe. At least we don't have more vehicle theft around here...
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Good to be careful but let's not get overly paranoid now.

This:
    >>At the maintenance/utility parking lot on the corner of golf club and river.

is pretty safe. The whole lot is fenced so only one way in/out. And always riders coming and going and hanging out at that parking lot all weekend long.
    IPA will save America

Wēk SŰs
    What if you're riding mid-week?

mtbr member
    I learned the hard way not to leave stuff visible in my car. I parked on Empire Grade a few years ago, and cycled into UCSC to teach a class. I forgot to hide my iPod classic, so someone smashed in the window and relieved me of that, an iPad, sunglasses, and several other items (all hidden, but once they are in, it didn't matter).

mtbr member
    Does anyone give a sh*t about anything in the Bay Area anymore? I was in SC with my family a few weeks ago and I was shocked by the human blight. And this is coming from SF. What a friggin' disgrace.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    saw a freshly broken car window at the trailhead gate last time I was there.

would scratch that spot.

the utility plant lot is where I like to park, the place also has security cameras (assuming they work and the police would care enough to get the footage).

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Does anyone give a sh*t about anything in the Bay Area anymore? I was in SC with my family a few weeks ago and I was shocked by the human blight. And this is coming from SF. What a friggin' disgrace.
    Everybody is shocked. there is just a very strong split between where they assign blame (homeless or community) and therefore what to do about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You valley folks are just downright stupid when it comes to leaving valuables in plain sight. Random cars aren't just getting broken into. Same with folks who leave their bikes unattended. We're our own worst enemy.

mtbr member
    I almost never park at Rincon anymore. If I was riding UCSC, I'd park either at the Utility/Maintenance lot since it's been more secured OR at the paid parking in Wilder. And yes, keep everything hidden (I stash all my gear in my truck's bed beneath a hard tonneau).

mtbr member
    I wouldn't park anywhere even close to the Corral Street Bum Palace.... the entire area is infested with drug-addled zombie scumbags.

Definitely not at the trailhead or the tracks = too isolated.

Rincon lot is probably the best as in public view of the road and lots of ordinary folks going in/out all the time (weekends/weekdays).

....and as stated above, do not leave anything at all in view. I've even had old ratchet straps taken from my truck bed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfabrain View Post
    I wouldn't park anywhere even close to the Corral Street Bum Palace.... the entire area is infested with drug-addled zombie scumbags.

Definitely not at the trailhead or the tracks = too isolated.

Rincon lot is probably the best as in public view of the road and lots of ordinary folks going in/out all the time (weekends/weekdays).

....and as stated above, do not leave anything at all in view. I've even had old ratchet straps taken from my truck bed.
    Rincon has more vehicle break-ins than Coral St. I'm not making that up. My shop is on Coral St.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZe View Post
    You valley folks are just downright stupid when it comes to leaving valuables in plain sight. Random cars aren't just getting broken into. Same with folks who leave their bikes unattended. We're our own worst enemy.
    So what your saying is you felt no empathy for A-Rod when he got $500,000 worth of jewelry stolen from a rental car parked on a SF street???