Eliot Jackson, Santa Cruz Bikes, and racism in our community- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Eliot Jackson, Santa Cruz Bikes, and racism in our community

Kinda bummed to have not seen anything posted about this on MTBR. I am reposting something I just shared on another mtb community site, as i think we all should hear what Eliot Jackson, pro-rider and all-around awesome mtb community member, has to say.

I encourage everyone to watch Eliot Jackson's video below and think about the mtb commuity we are part of.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CA8vs4x...mpaign=loading
    This is for the cycling community. I’m exhausted and there have been so many times over the last few days where I have been ashamed to be a part of this community. I’m exhausted by the fact that I have had to fight for things that should be common place. . I am exhausted by the fact that someone will watch this video and think that I don’t care about equality for ALL people and that ALL people deserve a seat at the table. I am exhausted by the fact that I am the only one here. Beyond that. I am exhausted by the fact that when this is over I will still deal with racism on a daily/weekly basis and people will continue to tell me it doesn’t exist.

Then go see some awesome work by Santa Cruz bikes to create a dialog in the comments section of their post and the legend Joe Graney step in.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CA7CTwtn...mpaign=loading

Francis, can we get an article on the front page about this? Maybe a more in-depth look at this? Also, thank you, Francis, for your work over the years creating community.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    This is important -- I'm glad you posted it and hope others watch it too.

mtbr member
    So good! Thank you for sharing this. I am sure many of us are wrestling with this topic on other social media platforms with less informed family members and friends. I think one of the most powerful statement for those open to really hearing it, "Your experiences don't matter". It's not about how you see the world, it's about how those currently being oppressed see it. Powerful stuff.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i dont have instagram. how can i see this?
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    You should be able to click the link and watch the video without an account.

Glad to hear positive feedback, for those not joining the discourse please feel welcome to join even if you don't know what to say.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I took a couple years off cycling partially because I was getting sick of the homogeneity.
    The disproportionate number of rich white guys in the sport (of which I admit I am one of them) really bums me out. I went over to running and found it to be much more welcoming and diverse. The strong runners are men, women, etc. of all different colors and all seem a lot more equal. I found myself racing mostly with women and dudes that were a little darker than your average mountain biker. Part of me thinks it's purely a class issue - maybe on average mountain bikers are a lot richer and have a lot more spare time than runners, and because of that maybe those class differences are going to become apparent as racial differences.

Now that I'm back cycling regularly I find myself wondering if I'm going to burn out again because of all the rich dudes with rich dude "problems". What can I do to change it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    There are many historical reasons why outdoor activities are mostly done by white participants, too many to go into in this short post. Ohmygato I have noticed the same thing, and not just with cycling. My other hobbies like climbing and surfing are also pretty much all white.
    I think to be part of the solution we need to be mentors to new riders (also climbers, surferes, anglers, backpackers, etc) who don't look like us (I'm also white). It's hard to get into mountain biking when you don't know anyone who does it, but if we have volunteers who will bring people of color, we will of course build a more divers rider base. Think of something similar to the Girls Rock rides put on in Santa Cruz. Most all of us have had mentors who helped show us the ropes of mountain biking, we should all try and do the same to expand the sport in a constructive way.

Formerly of Kent
    Here's a good interview with Rahsaan Bahati. He's a profoundly GOOD human being, who is doing great things for our country's young people.

https://www.velonews.com/news/rahsaa...-foot-in-door/
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I have been mountain biking Marin County since 1986 and I can say honestly i have never encountered any racism when I have been out on the trails, maybe i have just been lucky. All of the criticism that i received were from peers that i grew up with. I have been called "white" because of my interests/hobbies - cycling, snowboarding, fly fishing. etc. Even the music I listen to! WTF I have heard this BS all my life and refused to buy into it. If your cool your cool, no matter what color you are. I am a person of color. Now I have bumped into snobs and elitists.... and they usually change their attitude when they look at the bike your riding or dust them on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Davyd View Post
    I have been mountain biking Marin County since 1986 and I can say honestly i have never encountered any racism when I have been out on the trails, maybe i have just been lucky. All of the criticism that i received were from peers that i grew up with. I have been called "white" because of my interests/hobbies - cycling, snowboarding, fly fishing. etc. Even the music I listen to! WTF I have heard this BS all my life and refused to buy into it. If your cool your cool, no matter what color you are. I am a person of color. Now I have bumped into snobs and elitists.... and they usually change their attitude when they look at the bike your riding or dust them on the trail.
    Let me know if you want to join my hockey team.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Sharks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Holy shit it's the one non-white dude on a mountain bike!

Just kidding of course, but I really wish I knew more people of color who ride bicycles here in Santa Cruz, comprised of "the most diverse group of white people you'll ever meet."

I can't imagine anyone ever getting totally in your face racist on the trails, but I do see how this lack of representation on the big name teams, brands, and just groups of people riding breeds a less inclusive culture.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    For the longest I wondered why more "brothers" don't take interest because biking is one hell of a sport/hobby/passion. Some of the reasons are:
    1. Fear of the unknown
    2. incorrect stereotypes of white guys (for me that has been debunked)
    3. Shit - cost to have a decent steed ain't cheap. Not to talk about having a collection

mtbr member
    For the longest I wondered why more "brothers" don't take interest because biking is one hell of a sport/hobby/passion. Some of the reasons are:
    1. Fear of the unknown
    3. Shit - cost to have a decent steed ain't cheap. Not to talk about having a collection
    Oakland has a mountain bike community that isn't 100% white. Compared to the demographic of the city, it's preposterously white, but not 100%.

The $$$ barrier to entry is huge. And it's not just the initial bike costs, but shit breaks and wears out. Constantly. My road bike got nearly 0 maintenance for 7+ years, and none of the parts were replaced before I sold it for $100 less than I paid for it.

Oakland Composite seems like a good way to make headway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    1. Fear of the unknown
    Different cultures spend there money on different shit also. I know some poor ass people who have nice ass cloths/sneakers/jewelry/electronics and not much else and I know different poor ass people who have a nice bike and not much else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    similar: i am Chinese. all my life. hated being Chinese when i was very young because the crap i went thru. but i put it behind me. far behind me.

i love HUNTING and Fishing. i hear it all the time: "wow. you are like a white guy!" i heard it recently in the back woods of Idaho elk hunting. "i pulled my facemask down to great another hunter. "oh, i thought you were white". not entirely sure how to interpret that. whatever.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by obviouslyme View Post
    Oakland Composite seems like a good way to make headway.
    I don't know the demographics of Oakland Composite but that team was personally inspiring to me when I was getting back into racing several years ago. Some of the hardest working and fastest people are coming out of that program. I also see some of those kids who are really pushing boundaries, entering classes and doing races that I have never seen juniors attempt before. I think a couple of them are making successful runs at endurance and singlespeed racing these days. I talked to one of the fathers of those kids one day at a race and asked him what his deal was and he basically just explained that his kid likes to ride his bike all the time and really fast and he lets him do that with all his buddies as long as he's relatively safe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oprah Winfrey did a show a few years back and asked "Why do African Americans not camp?"

It was pretty interesting to watch, I think it boiled down to a more urban experience than rural in her view. She rented a truck and trailer and towed it to Yosemite NP, right in my back yard.

I've encountered people from all races and backgrounds while out camping, they all have one thing in common. Being outdoors. A good number have little dogs, but mostly, they like being outside.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Something I have been considering - Oakland Composite seems to have some loose form of sponsorship. From their website:

"If you do find this cost prohibitive, PLEASE PLEASE talk to us before you decide this is not the sport for your kid. We can find a way to make it work. In the past, we’ve maintained a small fleet of loaner bikes donated to us and have loaned those out to kids in the club. While we’d like to get out of the business of maintaining and storing these bikes, we understand there’s a need. We’re also working out a partnership with Trek in order to get bikes at cost. So, if you find that Oakland Composite or High School Mountain Biking is going to put a financial burden for your family, please contact us first so we can help."

I'm not sure if this is typical or if working to fund less privileged kids with other teams would be beneficial for the sport and help bring in more diversity. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Oakland composite is a HUGE team compared to most of the NICA nor-cal, so no its not typical. They also have some paid coaching staff which enables more time to be spent recruiting and working with more kids. Most leagues can't get enough volunteers to properly staff rides.

mtbr member
    Good to see this conversion continuing to evolve. Wanted to share some good resources for us all to learn a little more:
    https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-...ing-antiracist

Let's keep this conversation going and add info/resources/organizations to help.

I have been donating to minority groups for the sports I do, bikes and climbing, as well as professional groups that support minorities, NAREB in the real estate industry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    Holy shit it's the one non-white dude on a mountain bike!

Just kidding of course, but I really wish I knew more people of color who ride bicycles here in Santa Cruz, comprised of "the most diverse group of white people you'll ever meet."

I can't imagine anyone ever getting totally in your face racist on the trails, but I do see how this lack of representation on the big name teams, brands, and just groups of people riding breeds a less inclusive culture.
    At Demo (close enough to Santa Cruz?), many Asians and a good representation of Latinx as well. Just sharing my experiences, that's all.

mtbr member
    We do live in an amazing area! However, not all communities are represented or treated fairly.

mtbr member
    Pinkbike released a really well thought out statement on the issue today, and most of the comments over there have been surprisingly positive. Gives me hope that this is making an impact and opening eyes to issues that many in the mtb community were previously unaware of. I too am disappointed there's been no statement from MTBR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    At Demo (close enough to Santa Cruz?), many Asians and a good representation of Latinx as well. Just sharing my experiences, that's all.
    Down here in SoCal (LA/OC/Inland Valley) we have a ton of Filipino and Hispanic riders and I mean a plethora. I belong to two "local" FB pages and white guys are the #3 demographic on both.
    Carpe Diem!!

jrm
    mtbr member

The Oakland Yellowjackets

these guys are BA

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i dont have instagram. how can i see this?
    I don't have instagram either. Was able to open the first very insightful vid ... BRAVO my friend!!!

But can't open the next one from santa cruz

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    good for you. fun knows no race.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    anybody who's into MTB is cool with me. yesterday at Demo was a good example of diversity. Everybody was having fun, at all skill levels.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by paintballeerXC View Post
    Good to see this conversion continuing to evolve. Wanted to share some good resources for us all to learn a little more:
    https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-...ing-antiracist

Let's keep this conversation going and add info/resources/organizations to help.

I have been donating to minority groups for the sports I do, bikes and climbing, as well as professional groups that support minorities, NAREB in the real estate industry.
    That link brought back some bad memories; RE Angela Davis and the Marin County Courthouse shootings.

We've been living under the illusion that those violent times were over. Definitely not for blacks.

"In a racist society, it is not enough to be non-racist, we must be anti-racist." ~ Angela Y Davis

From my white perspective I consider myself anti-racist; I've been told by POC that I'm non-racist at best.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    "Your experiences don't matter". It's not about how you see the world, it's about how those currently being oppressed see it. Powerful stuff.
    Black Lives Matter does not detract from other's lives! White lives have not been systematically and culturally degraded for the entire history of our country. Lifting others up does not not bring others down - It raises the entire entire community!

So sad that so many people have to bring the focus back to themselves.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ I love the analogy to "Save the Whales!"

It doesn't mean screw all the other sea creatures.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

Formerly of Kent
    One of the most difficult things for some people is adjusting to the drastic difference in environment.

If you're a kid who has grown up in an urban area, everything about the mountains will be different and foreign to you. Alien, even.

Anyone here ever watched The Wire? About halfway through the series, one of the characters in the show goes from his home in the projects in Baltimore, where he'd been part of a drug network, to live with an elderly relative out in PG (Prince George) County. He asks the person who dropped him off, "What's that sound?". The man who dropped him off, a cop, answers, "Crickets."

Just think about that. I understand that it's fiction, but how many kids must that apply to? Then, think about every other thing that is so utterly different. It's one thing to be a city dweller kid who goes camping two or three times a year with his or her parents; another thing entirely to be a kid whose parents have never been camping, and no one they know has ever been camping. The likelihood that they will be immediately comfortable in what is basically a foreign land is low.

Then, you have... people. I'm a white dude who gets a pretty bitchin' tan. When I was in grad school, after living and working outdoors at high altitude in CO one summer, I came back to rural western VA for the upcoming school year. My wife and I lived about ten miles from a loop I liked to do, and I regularly rode there. One three occasions, I was called a racial epithet by people driving by, and on one of those occasions, I was threatened with violence. I get that not everywhere is the same, but man, I can certainly understand why BIPOC might think that certain areas are not exactly welcoming. I understand that racism exists in every kind of setting, urban or rural. But it's an entirely different proposition when you're in a rural area, on a bike, and every other house on that road has a Confederate flag on it. I felt vulnerable at times, and would certainly understand if a person of color felt the same, or worse.

I can certainly understand why mountain biking is not exactly at the top of the list for BIPOC participation, particularly among those with urban roots.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    My two kids used to live in Oakland with my ex. I received government Covid-19 $$$ for them and was planning to spend it on something for them. My oldest suggested that we make donations instead, and so we did, to the following:

People’s Breakfast Oakland
    Black Visions Collective
    NAACP
    Southern Poverty Law Center

Also, with regards to "All Lives Matter":

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 8.30.42 PM.png
Views: 48
Size:  385.5 KB
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Instagram: _parkmeister

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by parkmeister View Post
    My two kids used to live in Oakland with my ex. I received government Covid-19 $$$ for them and was planning to spend it on something for them. My oldest suggested that we make donations instead, and so we did, to the following:

People’s Breakfast Oakland
    Black Visions Collective
    NAACP
    Southern Poverty Law Center
    We added the NAACP LDF to our list of monthly contributions as well. You can specify which issues you'd like your money spent on, such as legal defense, voting rights, etc.

The ACLU has been getting money from us for a long time, too. I believe they will continue to be sorely needed.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    We added the NAACP LDF to our list of monthly contributions as well. You can specify which issues you'd like your money spent on, such as legal defense, voting rights, etc.

The ACLU has been getting money from us for a long time, too. I believe they will continue to be sorely needed.
    Based on events in the fall Nov 2016 and verbal attacks on the national media, I started a monthly donation to my local public radio station, Capital Public Radio. When the Whitehouse Administration implemented the 'Muslim Ban', I started donating to the ACLU which seeks to uphold the intent of the US Constitution. After comments made following the Charlottesville incident, I started donating to the Southern Poverty Law Center which tracks hate groups in the US. And because of Whitehouse policy positions regarding the environment and women, I started donating to the Sierra Club and Planned Parenthood. Some of those monthly donations had subsided over time, but now all have been re-activated. So I guess that makes me a treehugging snowflake, libtard, social justice warrior beta cuck. I'm comfortable with that.
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Instagram: _parkmeister

mtbr member
    May 2020
    This was done to a sign at a city park in San Carlos.

The misspelling is perfectly ironic.

Eliot Jackson, Santa Cruz Bikes, and racism in our community-s3pdeoi.jpg

Swastikas were spray painted at another park last year.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
    This was done to a sign at a city park in San Carlos.

The misspelling is perfectly ironic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S3pdeOi.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	312.9 KB 
ID:	1339875

Swastikas were spray painted at another park last year.
    Another irony is that California used to be part of Mexico. If not for the Gold Rush we might still be speaking Spanish.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by paintballeerXC View Post
    Kinda bummed to have not seen anything posted about this on MTBR. I am reposting something I just shared on another mtb community site, as i think we all should hear what Eliot Jackson, pro-rider and all-around awesome mtb community member, has to say.

I encourage everyone to watch Eliot Jackson's video below and think about the mtb commuity we are part of.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CA8vs4x...mpaign=loading

Then go see some awesome work by Santa Cruz bikes to create a dialog in the comments section of their post and the legend Joe Graney step in.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CA7CTwtn...mpaign=loading

Francis, can we get an article on the front page about this? Maybe a more in-depth look at this? Also, thank you, Francis, for your work over the years creating community.
    Thank you for posting the Eliot Jackson video. I saw this post a couple days ago, got distracted, and didn't read it. But since that day I have thought about how predominantly white mountain biking is. I am ashamed to admit that this was the first time I had given it much thought. As many have said, it isn't good enough to be not racist. We need to be anti racist, and I have not pulled my weight.

Today I watched the video. If I have half of the eloquence and emotional intelligence of Eliot someday I will consider myself lucky. What a man, what a message. I am happy to see that this thread has remained positive and devoid of the usual internet bickering. Let's keep it up.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk