electric dirtbike at UC today- Mtbr.com
    trekker
    Jul 2005

electric dirtbike at UC today

Guy was riding past the tanks. Foot pegs, fenders, headlight. Looked a bit like the Segway dirt eBike.

If you're reading this: what the ****, dude. Go to Metcalf.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sounds awesome. You're riding illegal trails, so why can't he? If you were actually riding your bicycle fast you probably never would have seen him.

mtbr member
    Welcome the e-community with open arms!

These trails are your trails, these trails are my trails, these trails were made for you and me.

trekker
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    Sounds awesome. You're riding illegal trails, so why can't he? If you were actually riding your bicycle fast you probably never would have seen him.
    So you're cool with me bringing my YZ250 out there? Sweet.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro View Post
    Guy was riding past the tanks. Foot pegs, fenders, headlight. Looked a bit like the Segway dirt eBike.

If you're reading this: what the ****, dude. Go to Metcalf.
    Had no idea that Segway had gotten into e-motos; sweet looking machine! Thanks for the intel!

Edit: the Segway is just a re-branded Sur-ron. (Segway is a shareholder of Sur-ron)

Perhaps this could lead to a thread "Does Santa Cruz need an OHV Park?"

Ironic that San Mateo county used to have a couple of moto parks. Gone with the dinosaurs.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Oh no! That electric bike may kick up some gravel on the fire road. The pristine road may never be the same. Shame. Shame. Shame.

/s

mtbr member
    Wow that looks fun! Just looks a bit small. I want one though!
    I saw Moto tracks on a " secret " little trail by UC the other day. I was bummed because this is a sweet little trail and a dirt bike would F it up very quickly do to the kind of soil and off camber uphill sections.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That looks like a rebadged Sur-Ron.

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike-black-edition/

I was considering buying one of these and registering as a moped to use around town. Not bad for $3600.

Meatbomb
    It's the eVolution of eBikes.....

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantastic79 View Post
    That looks like a rebadged Sur-Ron.

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike-black-edition/

I was considering buying one of these and registering as a moped to use around town. Not bad for $3600.
    The main difference that I'm seeing is that the Sur-ron at one time was available with a pedal option which when combined with de-tuned programming made it a legal e-bike (Class 2 for sure but maybe a Class 1 depending)

Not good for the future of e-bike trail access.

bipedal
    should this line in the description on the web site have potential buyers worried?

"This has the X-controller with Regen breaking... "

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    That thing looks rad! Could you ride something like that at a place like Carnegie? Does it have enough range?

mtbr member
    Poachers dgaf

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So you're cool with me bringing my YZ250 out there? Sweet.
    Sure. Bring your Jeep too. I really don't care what you use to haul yourself around considering you already drove 30 minutes to get to the trail and then decided to complain about someone else using it.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    That thing looks rad! Could you ride something like that at a place like Carnegie? Does it have enough range?
    Those are good questions, I'm guessing they'd let it in the gate but technically it should have either an OHV sticker (green/red) or a moped registration. Unless the Class 1 or 2 can be proven. (You'd have to have pedals for that)

They say 70 mile range but that's probably pretty flat terrain. WFO 30 minutes by my calculations. So for the usual CA OHV park maybe an hour of solid riding? Battery packs are swap-able so there's that. ($1600 for a spare)

trekker
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    Should be allowed. I imagine it's easy enough to get a green sticker for it. I saw a sur-ron with a green sticker a few months ago.

The police have largely left us alone at UC. You start mixing motorcycles near campus, on paths that people hike, and they'll crack down quickly. Sure, the thing is cool, but it needs to be in an OHV park.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I run into two KTMs ripping up Sierra Morena last week in Skegss, around 7am on a weekday. Saw one of the gates broken: that's how they got in, I'm guessing.
    Tracks went all the way down to Giant Salamander.

Dirt bikes should only be allowed in UCSC and Skeggs to carry tools and sandbags!

mtbr member
    Apparently Yosemite is the place to shred e-moto's! what a stupid promo video.

mtbr member
    Motorbikes coming up a predominantly downhill cycling trail should be aware that downhill cyclists probably won't yield. I've seen almost everything in the forests around UCSC, so a motorbike isn't too much of a surprise or distraction. I just worry they will spread like an unchecked virus among those with big wallets and big bellies and harsh my flow on the rockin downhills. It's happened to me twice in 2 years. Both times I was too astonished to yell or anything other than avoid a crash and continue my frollicing down the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    It's the eVolution of eBikes.....
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Phillbo again.

This is what I said from day one but nobody wanted to listen. They still don't. Once the door is open, it will be a free for all.
    Carpe Diem!!

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwsurfer View Post
    I was wondering if that was a green screen or a ballsy poach.

mtbr member
    The police have largely left us alone at UC. You start mixing motorcycles near campus, on paths that people hike, and they'll crack down quickly. Sure, the thing is cool, but it needs to be in an OHV park.
    Interesting. Might electric motorcycles be the worst (in the near-term) and best (in the long-term) thing to happen for folks concerned about ebikes on non-ebike trails?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    This is what I said from day one but nobody wanted to listen. They still don't. Once the door is open, it will be a free for all.
    Yep. A while ago a buddy of mine was dropping a campus trail and met an equestrian coming up. Now I hear the 4th leg of the Triple Crown will be held at UCSC.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    skeggs was a dirtbike park before midpen shut it down. burn midpen to the ground open it back up to everyone

mtbr member
    I took this picture today on Mailboxes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails electric dirtbike at UC today-download.jpg  

I'm not sure how this works.

trekker
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    Interesting. Might electric motorcycles be the worst (in the near-term) and best (in the long-term) thing to happen for folks concerned about ebikes on non-ebike trails?
    Depends on your ultimate goal, I suppose. Banning all bikes? Trail work? I fear the former will happen if the envelope keeps getting pushed like this.

I'd love to rip those trails on a dirt bike -- electric or gas. Out of respect, though, I don't. But I suppose my respect for the area is limited if I'm there in the first place. This isn't even an ebike, though. It's technically a motor vehicle.

middle ring single track
    This isn't even an ebike, though. It's technically a motor vehicle.
    Luna Cycle says this about the Sur-ron they sell:

IMPORTANT NOTE: These bikes are shipped road legal limited to 20mph and 750 watt to make them legal in most states (in road legal mode this bike also has over 40 miles of range), a 5 minute modification will take all limits off the bike to make it a full 5200 watts and illegal for road use in most states. (Some users report success working with Dirt Legal to get their bikes plated for road use at full power. Please note if you ride on the road it is at your own risk)

So with the pedal kit and a PAS sensor (& throttle disabled) it's a Class 1 e-bike. Or a Class 2 with just the pedal kit. Braaaap!

I chuckle when thinking about how IMBA was saying the (then upcoming) e-bike regulations wouldn't allow them on trails. Nothing to worry about. Braaaap!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    Yep. A while ago a buddy of mine was dropping a campus trail and met an equestrian coming up. Now I hear the 4th leg of the Triple Crown will be held at UCSC.
    It's early in the game Grasshopper. I ride 4 days a week, traveling out of state every 6 weeks, and haven't seen horses more than once. Bad argument. I have however seen 100+ ebikes where they are illegal including (3) Class III ebikes. It might not be next week or next year but once ebikes are accepted as "the norm", people will be altering them to go faster...two of the Calss III bike owners have already done that with their Foes Mixer bikes that do 40 mph.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ I see 100+ heirloom bikes where they are illegal on some of my rides, so... And many of them have been altered with dual crown forks to go faster!

Still, you could be right. But I haven't seen a hint of that in the Bay Area, just lots of folks having fun on the trails.
    Last edited by Callender; 06-08-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    but it needs to be in an OHV park.
    Toys

UCSC, Demo, niesene, all great places to poach your new etoys.

leter rip on the kind trails with a rooster tail....... yahooooo

Up In Smoke
    another win for the e-motor bike crowd

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    another win for the e-motor bike crowd
    ...and another Lose for the real bike crowd. And everybody else's crowd.
    Just call me Ray

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Ped View Post
    Luna Cycle says this about the Sur-ron they sell:

IMPORTANT NOTE: These bikes are shipped road legal limited to 20mph and 750 watt to make them legal in most states (in road legal mode this bike also has over 40 miles of range), a 5 minute modification will take all limits off the bike to make it a full 5200 watts and illegal for road use in most states. (Some users report success working with Dirt Legal to get their bikes plated for road use at full power. Please note if you ride on the road it is at your own risk)

So with the pedal kit and a PAS sensor (& throttle disabled) it's a Class 1 e-bike. Or a Class 2 with just the pedal kit. Braaaap!

I chuckle when thinking about how IMBA was saying the (then upcoming) e-bike regulations wouldn't allow them on trails. Nothing to worry about. Braaaap!
    Many riders consider them Class 2 without the pedal kit, which is useless btw. Some replace pegs with pedals, or stick them on a spindle so they can ghost pedal when necessary. They're out there and already in a park near you. Once this part of the market gets going, we'll see them everywhere, they're a perfect stealth moto.

electric dirtbike at UC today-poaching-auburn.jpgelectric dirtbike at UC today-sur-ron-washington.jpgelectric dirtbike at UC today-pedals-10.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Many riders consider them Class 2 without the pedal kit, which is useless btw. Some replace pegs with pedals, or stick them on a spindle so they can ghost pedal when necessary. They're out there and already in a park near you. Once this part of the market gets going, we'll see them everywhere, they're a perfect stealth moto.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poaching at Auburn.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	1340051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sur Ron - Washington.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	428.4 KB 
ID:	1340053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pedals 10.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	496.3 KB 
ID:	1340055
    Yep...!!!
    Carpe Diem!!

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Reading more about the Luna Cycles bike linked earlier in the thread, they compared it to 110cc Honda. So, in other words. . . a moped (aka terd).

I guess the KTM is actually a full size moto though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I don't care man. Live and let live. Ran into 3 kids riding up barking dog together on klx 110 motos as I was coming down. We were all laughing, gave high fives and went on our way!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    10 laps on an e-bike, whatever flavor, is twice as much trail damage as 5 laps on a regular bike. Illegal, blah, blah, blah... Talk to the rangers, e-bike ticket is way higher too so have fun. If ur not injured, just pedal ur damn bike... So tired of this e-bike phase.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wls4ever View Post
    I don't care man. Live and let live. Ran into 3 kids riding up barking dog together on klx 110 motos as I was coming down. We were all laughing, gave high fives and went on our way!
    Till u get hit by one of them, come on, this isn't remotely Kool. I spent a lot time building trails and having Motos trash them is darn annoying. Seen them at demo, UC, and Santa Teresa... I hope every one of them get tickets and their bikes taken... Speak to the rangers and see what their tolerance is towards Moto vs e-bike vs mtb. They have, zero tolerance for Moto, recently e-bike, and mtb depends on their directive but mostly they don't care, verbatim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by m3the01 View Post
    10 laps on an e-bike, whatever flavor, is twice as much trail damage as 5 laps on a regular bike. Illegal, blah, blah, blah... Talk to the rangers, e-bike ticket is way higher too so have fun. If ur not injured, just pedal ur damn bike... So tired of this e-bike phase.
    Itís not a phase. Ebikes are not going anywhere. Deal with it

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin829 View Post
    Itís not a phase. Ebikes are not going anywhere. Deal with it
    More and more signs appearing regarding e-bike use... Demo is officially off limits, have fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    More and more signs appearing regarding e-bike use... Demo is officially off limits, have fun.
    Demo is the only place in the Bay Area off limits. MidPen says no but itís not enforced. I bet the house soon Demo will be legal. Fun? Hell yea way more fun than you. Enjoy your pain cave.......braaap

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sorry, but UC had the same signs but people keep throwing them in the garbage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Sorry, but UC had the same signs but people keep throwing them in the garbage.
    Hahahahaha most of UC is illegal for all bikes. Plus those sign were fake. Get youíre shit together.

mtbr member
    There is a reason for concern. The trails, sanctioned or not, were built for bike traffic, and handle erosion pretty well for the most part. That also includes e-bikes with strict power limits that have similar impact on the trail as pedal mountain bike.

Full power motors are a different ballgame. The trails cannot handle that and will get trashed very quickly. They will also become unrideable for bikes in many areas that will turn into deep powder. If that becomes a reality, my guess would be that many of the trails in that area would be trashed to the point that their builders and maintainer abandon them, because the amount of work to keep them rideable by bike will be impossible.

Xd_
    mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwsurfer View Post
    Maybe Yosemite is looking into electric assist climbing on Half Dome and El Cap...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    There is a reason for concern. The trails, sanctioned or not, were built for bike traffic, and handle erosion pretty well for the most part. That also includes e-bikes with strict power limits that have similar impact on the trail as pedal mountain bike.

Full power motors are a different ballgame. The trails cannot handle that and will get trashed very quickly. They will also become unrideable for bikes in many areas that will turn into deep powder. If that becomes a reality, my guess would be that many of the trails in that area would be trashed to the point that their builders and maintainer abandon them, because the amount of work to keep them rideable by bike will be impossible.
    So your first paragraph says its ok for bikes, then your seconds says it is not ok for bikes on the UC (illegal) trails, make up your mind, a motor is a motor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Agreed, some shaky circular defenses out there.

Anyway, bikes are cool and that is why we are mostly cut from the same fabric (foot powered or not), but that is not the issue.

I agree and personally don't care where you illegally ride your e's unless it is on a legal mt bike trail that is AT RISK OF GETTING SHUT DOWN because of the this - Demo for instance. If it is allowed, right on, I'll be right behind you. If tools carry is allowed, even better for us all, just get on the same page. If it is not allowed and you are f'kng with everyone else's opportunity, bug off.

And then do all the whining, bashing victimizing and baby foot stomping you can to defend the ebike x,y,z, mod P's and Z's are here, nobody cares. You are whining to yourselves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    And there's the rub. There will never be 'strict power limits', the technology is moving too fast. Class 1 eMTBs are really just a transitional technology, they'll probably fade away as motors get smaller/lighter/more powerful.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motosc View Post
    So your first paragraph says its ok for bikes, then your seconds says it is not ok for bikes on the UC (illegal) trails, make up your mind, a motor is a motor.
    Its OK for bikes and low power ebikes. It's not OK for full power bikes. There is a difference between half a horse power and 30+ horse power.

"A motor is not a motor" means nothing. There are motors that are weak and simulate human power, and motors that are very powerful. You can buy both today.

That's why there are classifications for e-bikes with power limits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    And there's the rub. There will never be 'strict power limits', the technology is moving too fast. Class 1 eMTBs are really just a transitional technology, they'll probably fade away as motors get smaller/lighter/more powerful.
    The technology has been around for years and you can buy full on electric motocross bikes for a while. That's why there are classes, to make clear whats a bike and whats a motorcycle. Its based on output, not weight, run time, size, etc.

Why would class 1 eMTB fade? Those motors can make more power right now and are limited electronically to the class rules. When they get smaller they still have to abide by the class power limits to be considered a bicycle and not a motorcycle.
    In that case you will see longer ranges and run time and not more power. That we do today with yesterday's technology.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There are motors that are weak and simulate human power, and motors that are very powerful. You can buy both today.
    So you actually agree with my statement that motors are motors.

Doesn't matter if it is a weak motor or a strong motor, it is still a motor, so get off your misguided high horse, if you let one motor in, you should let all motors in.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Phillbo again.

Or a slippery eSlope.....

middle ring single track
    In regards to the trails at UC; since most of the fun is in the DH direction (a friend has told me); having a motor of any size is rather a moot point. When it comes to DH gravity is the motor regardless of whatever else might be supplemental. Uphill of course is a whole different kettle of fish. I'd rather not see e-bikes or e-motos out where soils are delicate. Analog bikes a qualified maybe.

Now there is a relevant point that a motor allows a given rider to take more laps on a given trail but so too does a Sprinter van.

From Wiki:

Honour among thieves is the concept that criminals do not compromise the criminal activities of other criminals (see also omertŗ and pirate code). It can also mean that even corrupt or criminal individuals can follow some form of code of honour, moral, justice, or ethics for the benefit of everyone involved or implicated.

mtbr member
    So you actually agree with my statement that motors are motors.

Doesn't matter if it is a weak motor or a strong motor, it is still a motor, so get off your misguided high horse, if you let one motor in, you should let all motors in.
    The exclusion of motorcycles from many spaces in California was the beginning of a long uphill battle for MTBs. Imagine how far along the trails could be if dirtbikes weren't pretty much banned from most previously enjoyed spaces around Northern California.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I agree they should allow motorcycles and Sprinter vans on all trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I agree they should allow motorcycles and Sprinter vans on all trails.
    What about eSprinter vans?

mtbr member
    Motors are not motors by legal definitions. Weak are classified as bikes and strong as motorcycles. You can extend your definition to "e-bikes are motorcycles". That is legally not the case and more important, not the case when it comes to trail access and trail damage.
    Many parks already allow e-bikes and do not allow motorcycles. When you get a ticket for riding an electric motorcycle in a bike park that allows e-bikes, contest your ticket in court and tell the judge that "motors are motors". Let us know the results.

Right now the unsanctioned trails are tolerated because there isn't a significant impact. Bring motorcycles and the party is over. You will not win any battle when there is environmental damage.

mtbr member
    Motors are not motors by legal definitions. Weak are classified as bikes and strong as motorcycles...
    Paired with the Ali-G avatar I *really* struggled to figure out if this was deadpan sardonic commentary or serious argument in need of a copy editor. I went from laughing at the trolling to realizing, I think, that you mean it in earnest and are arguing for rational discussion. And thus it dawned on me: you are a savant and a zen master.

"Motors are not motors" is the perfect e-biker's koan.

It manages to contain all the the truths at once while being presented as an absurd non-truth: the truth that any layperson should see motors as motors, the truth that the law does not always see motors as motors, and the non-truth that surely both truths may not be true for a motor must be a motor, unless it is not.

mtbr member
    @davee5 this is a response to previous posts about whether all motorized two wheelers are the same. The argument, as you can imagine, was "motors are motors". Just a slogan with no real substance behind it. The kind of slogan people use in political campaigns, typically against something.

I am sure when they banned bikes in the wilderness some Washington lobbyist came up with "mechanized is mechanized". If you ban oil rigs and mining trucks, you should definitely extend that to bikes. Because mechanized is mechanized!

mtbr member
    Oh I get it. But at this point I'm more fascinated by the paradox than the arguments themselves. I just wanted to step back from the flame wars and troll baiting to appreciate the koan on its own merits.

(I'm personally a bit of a Luddite, so introducing other paradoxical trail access slogans just underscores the point. Broadly speaking I prefer bikes to be only human powered, and as an avid backpacker I'm ok with a fully unmechanized wilderness too.

But I try to hold those stances graciously and largely to myself until it becomes a question of overall access and threats of closures, so here I suspect we agree about the headline topic. And while I'm fantasizing about trail rules that conform to my singular perspective and ignore everyone else's access to the outdoors screwwww e-questrians.)
    Last edited by davee5; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Yo, davie, are those e-lectric horsies? I've yet to see one of them? Do they shit, too? Combining the worst of two worlds?
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Ha! I have more trouble with the e-questrians themselves than the hors-e's. Of course hors-e's take huge 'lectric dumps even while they roar past you doing 15.5 mph uphill yelling "I do moar trail werk than u, yer just jealous!"

No, it's not the hors-e's, it's the e-questrians I truly loathe.

Living on the peninsula and riding through / near Woodside and Portola Valley I just *hate* the f.u. I got mine landed gentry bullsh!t around here, let alone its impact on MidPen access & advocacy. Plus I'd gladly take the trail damage from 3 e-biker's laps over 1 lap from the yield-to-me-while-I-shove-this-huge-throbbing-anachronism-between-my-trust-funded-legs crowd. I try not to blame the pack animal, just the savages that ride the beasts.

middle ring single track

One last word about e-motos

I stumbled on this guy because I'm a has-been pilot and once helped build a Kitfox experimental plane.

He made his millions with commercial drone videography but I started following him for his YouTube aviation-passion channel; he mentioned he'd do a vlog about his recently-purchased "Segway/Sur Ron" e-bike.

Here it is; might be a bit long for mountain biker attention spans, worth watching, even with the commercials IMHO:

Bottom line:

Want a no-hassle riding experience? Move to Nevada.

Paper or plastic?
    I stumbled on this guy because I'm a has-been pilot and once helped build a Kitfox experimental plane.

He made his millions with commercial drone videography but I started following him for his YouTube aviation-passion channel; he mentioned he'd do a vlog about his recently-purchased "Segway/Sur Ron" e-bike.

Here it is; might be a bit long for mountain biker attention spans, worth watching, even with the commercials IMHO:

Bottom line:

Paul Basagoitia still got skills.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ Right? I had no idea he had progressed that much in his comeback. If anybody hasn't watched the documentary on him, Any One of Us, it's well worth it.
    Last edited by Callender; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member

Bottom line:

Great EBike would be great riding Demo on that EBike and maybe do Niesen since its just next door. I am getting one of those before the year is out...... Bring it on Demo/Niesen/SCrz...

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by davee5 View Post
    Ha! I have more trouble with the e-questrians themselves than the hors-e's. Of course hors-e's take huge 'lectric dumps even while they roar past you doing 15.5 mph uphill yelling "I do moar trail werk than u, yer just jealous!"

No, it's not the hors-e's, it's the e-questrians I truly loath

Living on the peninsula and riding through / near Woodside and Portola Valley I just *hate* the f.u. I got mine landed gentry bullsh!t around here, let alone its impact on MidPen access & advocacy. Plus I'd gladly take the trail damage from 3 e-biker's laps over 1 lap from the yield-to-me-while-I-shove-this-huge-throbbing-anachronism-between-my-trust-funded-legs crowd. I try not to blame the pack animal, just the savages that ride the beasts.
    I like the way you described that experience, Davie. REAL close to home.

But on a bright note, I got out on a ride yesterday with friends for the first time in MONTHS. It felt great. We kept getting passed, oncoming and from behind, by the same couple on their bikes. They were always friendly and smiling. Only on the 4th pass did I realize they were on e-bikes! As the lady passed me, I could barely hear her bike motor. They were quiet! And nice!
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Let's extend this logic: Guy drives past school at 100mph with kids in sight. 'sounds awesome. We all speed...'
    Get a *ucking clue!

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by testa di cazzo View Post
    Let's extend this logic: Guy drives past school at 100mph with kids in sight. 'sounds awesome. We all speed...'
    Get a *ucking clue!
    Speak for yourself, we don't all speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Oh no! That electric bike may kick up some gravel on the fire road. The pristine road may never be the same. Shame. Shame. Shame.

/s
    You are missing the point. Are you really that dense? The foot people will have a field day with this shit. You think we have limited access now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    C'mon, we're all on the same team.

This was one random dude in Santa Cruz: The Land of Randomness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    Toys

UCSC, Demo, niesene, all great places to poach your new etoys.

leter rip on the kind trails with a rooster tail....... yahooooo
    take another swig there bro

mtbr member
    You are missing the point. Are you really that dense? The foot people will have a field day with this shit. You think we have limited access now.
    You must not spend much time on the Internet.

mtbr member
    take another swig there bro
    /whoosh

Here, Iíll help explain my internet lingo this time:

mtbr member
    damn you really are that dense

Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    You must not spend much time on the Internet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Trout View Post
    C'mon, we're all on the same team.

This was one random dude in Santa Cruz: The Land of Randomness.
    No, we are not all on the same team. The ebikers are trying to latch onto the the bicyclist wagon and say they are on the same team. If bikes are so good, stand on your own as a group (moto groups, bicyclist groups, hiking equestrian, ect) and fight for your own trail access. We as bicyclists have been fighting for our own access for too long to have all of that work torpedoed by motorized cycles.

middle ring single track
    No, we are not all on the same team. The ebikers are trying to latch onto the the bicyclist wagon and say they are on the same team. If bikes are so good, stand on your own as a group (moto groups, bicyclist groups, hiking equestrian, ect) and fight for your own trail access. We as bicyclists have been fighting for our own access for too long to have all of that work torpedoed by motorized cycles.
    I understand your emotion but on 10/07/15 Governor Brown signed legislation which means that (defined) electric bicycles can be ridden anywhere bicycles can be ridden unless otherwise excepted.

What the OP is talking about is almost certainly more of an e-moto but might have been a loophole-legal e-bike. Maybe that dude was fighting for moto access? That user group is far more shut out in Santa Cruz than are MTBers.

Reminder: Anybody riding UC on 2 wheels is poaching. Come to think of it, horses would also be excluded I'm not sure about hikers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I understand your emotion but on 10/07/15 Governor Brown signed legislation which means that (defined) electric bicycles can be ridden anywhere bicycles can be ridden unless otherwise excepted.

What the OP is talking about is almost certainly more of an e-moto but might have been a loophole-legal e-bike. Maybe that dude was fighting for moto access? That user group is far more shut out in Santa Cruz than are MTBers.

Reminder: Anybody riding UC on 2 wheels is poaching. Come to think of it, horses would also be excluded I'm not sure about hikers.
    Moe, that is fine that Moonbeam signed a bill allowing mopeds to be ridden where bicycles can be ridden.

That in no way does anything to make them the same, or bring them onto our 'team', it only allows them to ride where bicycles ride, full stop.

Like you said, anyone on two wheels (and maybe 4 legs) is poaching on any single track in UC other than Ucon, and as far as State Parks are concerned, the area from the UCSC boundary down to Hwy. 9 technically does not contain ANY trails, so no one is supposed to be in that area.

And as to the OP, the above is my point, I am not pro ebike at all, but no one can complain about riding anything, bike, ebike, motorcycle, horse, on trails in UC or Henry Cowell SP as it is ALL illegal, so the OP shouldn't get on any high horse about what should or shouldn't be ridden up there.

mtbr member
    Had no idea that Segway had gotten into e-motos; sweet looking machine! Thanks for the intel!

Edit: the Segway is just a re-branded Sur-ron. (Segway is a shareholder of Sur-ron)

Perhaps this could lead to a thread "Does Santa Cruz need an OHV Park?"

Ironic that San Mateo county used to have a couple of moto parks. Gone with the dinosaurs.
    Any idea how the Segway/Sur-ron compares with Cake?
    Cake looks crazy fun*, though Sam Pilgrim can make anything look like fun:
    https://youtu.be/c2XfjLfVRXU?t=50

* where permitted/allowed; not at Yosemite, Demo, MidPen, botanical gardens, sea lion breeding grounds, white rhino sanctuaries, ancient burial grounds, Stone Henge, etc

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    These e-dirt bikes are the first e-bikes I actually want to rise. They'd be fun in the national forest.

mtbr member
    Will be interesting when (if?) bicycle stores are their main sales channels, vs motorcycle shops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Doesn't surprise me. Some years back, I went out on some reconnaissance / trail observation with the chief ranger at the time both in DeLa and Pogonip and there were signs of motos going through each in places. It happens, hopefully less frequently than not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    Will be interesting when (if?) bicycle stores are their main sales channels, vs motorcycle shops.
    A reputable, long-time, family-owned KTM/Husqvarna motorcycle dealer in Santa Cruz recently quit selling motorcycles and transitioned to eBike sales. Probably a smart financial move.

mtbr member
    We really need different names for electric bicycles and electric motorcycles.

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005
    That may be a bit of a red herring... John senior was retiring, and Junior had no real interest in keeping the moto thing going. It wasn't as if the e-bike sales were tearing into the moto margin, more a case that Junior wanted to sell e-bikes and John senior wanted to stop spinning wrenches.
    hold my beer...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    We really need different names for electric bicycles and electric motorcycles.
    We really need different names for bicycles, electric powered motor driven bicycles, and electric motorcycles.

fixed it for you

mtbr member
    If someone opened a dedicated ebike superstore, I'd visit for sure (and some of you know I'm neutral overall on ebikes).

ebike superstore would sell ebikes (mtb and moto), e-city bikes, e-roadbikes, escooters, eskateboards.

Also, I'm waiting for the first Segway/Sur-ron or Cake to show up at Trailhead Cyclery

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Looks like Motostrano (RWC and SF) and the Eletric Bike Superstore (SF) are gone but https://www.elvmotors.com/ is still around. As is The New Wheel (SF & Marin).