mtbr member
    Dec 2018

East Bay Danville/ San Ramon area riders

Hi there, new to this forum although Iíve been lurking it for the past year or so gaining some valuable insight to the trails in this area among other things.

Iím a newer mountain biker (started riding in February this year) but Iíve been off and on bikes (and dirt bikes ) all my life so very comfortable on them.

Figured Iíd kind of introduce myself and join this community instead of just watching from the shadows.

I have a 2018 Marin Rift Zone 2 I picked up as my first real mountain bike, last bike was a 24Ē Redline race back back in 2005 or so. The Rift Zone was my first dabble into a mountain bike let alone full suspension and it has been great for everything Iíve done with it. From smaller rides in the East Bay/ South Bay Area and even some trails in South Lake Tahoe all the way to a rather tame weekend at Northstar chasing some friends on full downhill rigs.

Any way if anyone is in the Dublin/ San Ramon/ Danville area Iíd love to try and meet up for some rides around the trails and maybe learn some of the better spots from a local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Have you been to Joaquin Miller Park? It is small but good fun and you can do multiple loops. Pleasanton Ridge is close as well, if you like to climb

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I made the mistake of demoing a bike before I bought my Rift Zone and taking it to Pleasanton Ridge to get a taste of mountain biking. I didnít look closely at the elevation gain and letís just say I hiked most of it going up lol.

I was going to do JMP this Saturday but the weather is not cooperating and then something else came up.
    From the videos Iíve seen and reports I read I really want to get out there hit some of the loops.

Iíve done a small loop around Las Trampas just on some fire roads. The other weekend I went to Morgan Territory with a buddy showing me around and that was fun.

Iíve ridden around Calero a few times with a friend along with a loop around Tilden park.

Thatís it for the most part.

mtbr member
    I work in San Ramon, but do most of my riding at Lime Ridge or Shell Ridge. I'd be happy to show you around.

Las Trampas has some fun (illegal to bikes) singletrack but it's all SO damn steep to get up to the top of the ridge, I don't really enjoy riding there.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thanks for the info Joe, Iíll look into those spots.

As for Las Trampas and the illegal single track Iíve come across a lot of videos on YouTube and Instagram highlighting some of these trails. I understand itís an unfortunate and frustrating situation in this area with single track and places for mountain bikers to ride which is why Iím reaching out here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Try riding from Macedo Ranch. This loop is decent. A few fun sections despite it being fire road.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/11006945

Oyster Point Trail is OK too, but I swear it never gets trimmed back and last time I rode it I got a decent bit of poison oak on my calf.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    I work in San Ramon, but do most of my riding at Lime Ridge (singletrack "illegal to bikes") or Shell Ridge (singletrack "illegal to bikes"). I'd be happy to show you around.

Las Trampas has some fun (illegal to bikes) singletrack but it's all SO damn steep to get up to the top of the ridge, I don't really enjoy riding there.
    FTFY. Now it's consistent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by og-mtb View Post
    FTFY. Now it's consistent.
    You're a douche.

Also added to my ignore list so don't bother in the future.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Light ranger, Iíll look into that loop. The half way point climb looks brutal though but it should make for a good work out.

OG-MTB, seems to be a consistent theme that everything is illegal out this way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba.Steve View Post

Yes, most of the decent stuff in CCC is unauthorized but much of it can be ridden without concern.

Especially Lime Ridge where MTB usage is way up and enforcement is pretty much non-existent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    You're a douche.

Also added to my ignore list so don't bother in the future.
    Awwww, bless your heart.

I had no idea the truth would cause you so much distress.

I hope you feel better soon darling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Light ranger, Iíll look into that loop. The half way point climb looks brutal though but it should make for a good work out.

Here's another one:
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/635...all-point-loop

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Not in the east bay, but if you are down for a day trip, I would be happy to show you around some of the trails here in Santa Cruz.

IMHO, best trail network in the greater Bay Area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by NORCAL1979 View Post
    Not in the east bay, but if you are down for a day trip, I would be happy to show you around some of the trails here in Santa Cruz.

IMHO, best trail network in the greater Bay Area.

Being In the middle of snowboard season and some other stuff (work schedule) itís hard to get out that way right now but Iím hoping around the middle of February to make it a point to get out and ride some of the prominent Santa Cruz spots. Iím a little envious every time my Instagram or YouTube feed is filled with content from Demo, Wilder and other trails.

I also have the same invite from a friend in the Folsom area where trails look great

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Check out the shop rides 6Fifteen Cyclery does. One on Thursday night and one on Saturday morning.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Try lake del valle on sunday mornings at 1st light. Great group of guys meet there almost every sunday. Del valle is good if you know where.
    PM me if you would like a tour guide at jmp or del valle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Planning to ride Joaquin Miller early tomorrow morning before the rain kicks in.

Hoping to start riding at all the places mentioned in this thread as well.

Thanks again for the replies

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Planning to ride Joaquin Miller early tomorrow morning before the rain kicks in.

Hoping to start riding at all the places mentioned in this thread as well.

Thanks again for the replies

Big thread a month or two ago....careful where you park.
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarm View Post
    Big thread a month or two ago....careful where you park.

Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    May 2009

don't tug on superman's cape, don't spit in the wind and don't poke the bear

Quote Originally Posted by og-mtb View Post
    Yes, most of the decent stuff in CCC is unauthorized but much of it can be ridden without concern.

Especially Lime Ridge where MTB usage is way up and enforcement is pretty much non-existent.
    This is the kind of thoughtless statement that generates needless attention - that and strava

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tunajuice View Post
    This is the kind of thoughtless statement that generates needless attention - that and strava
    He was too busy trolling to think about that.

OP, definitely hit up JMP. Crockett is a fun place for intermediate riders as well, but check on conditions (it gets muddy and beat up by cows) before heading that way. Rockville is a great spot that will build up your skills in a hurry and isnít too far away at all.

"So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck