East Bay Anti-MTB Nutjob on NPR?- Mtbr.com
    Can Tree Member

East Bay Anti-MTB Nutjob on NPR?

I remember a series of threads on this forum about a particularly vocal anti-MTB citizen...many of you probably know who I'm referring to...

Anyway...driving back from a meeting today listening to NPR's "Talk of the Nation" at 12:45pm, they were interviewing the founder of Wikipedia about their new editing approach, and took a few callers.

One caller was from Oakland...he complained about "partisan" editing and cited his experience with the Mountain Biking wiki. He said that it was partisan, very pro-mountain biking and every time he tried to contribute information to the article that was not pro-MTB it was being edited out by the partisans.

You think this was our boy?

The Chief Wikidude's response was interesting...he said that if you provide references and citations, you'll have a much better chance of having the edits stand than if you just make unsupported statements. Interesting that in the wiki there is an unsupported reference to secondary research (a "literature review") by one Jason Lathrop in 2003 "raising questions found nowhere else" but the editor (Jason himself?) provided no references.

Whatdayathink?
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

Trip the Bike Fantastic
    The audio is available online: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=112257149 Scan to the 11:40 mark.

Nice reply from Jimmy - it's all about substantiating the evidence. I bet MV's tried to push his own "research" there already...

Indeed, the caller was "Mike from Oakland".
    Last edited by Cycledelic; 08-26-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: updated

Trip the Bike Fantastic
    I was just browsing the discussion page, and noticed this hilarious observation on the article's style:

Biases

* XC: The whole article, especially the intro, has an XC bias. This makes sense, as XC riders tend to be more literate.

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycledelic
    Indeed, the caller was "Mike from Oakland".
    Is that our nutjob? And who is "Jason" mentioned in the article?
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

never ender
    More power to him. The more this guy rants and raves in the media, especially in media outlets that are outside the Bay Area anti-MTB bubble, the more often people will call him on his BS.

Tree Hugger
    I heard that. The host responded with "Wow, I had no idea that there was controversy about a subject like Mountain bikes" and the Wikipedia guy referenced debate over whether MTB was safe or whether it caused lots of injuries. They either didn't get, or chose to ignore the caller's attempt to argue against bikes.

And of course I immediately thought about MV
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Members who have read this thread: 0