mtbr member
    Dec 2018

E-MTB Race at SOC: Talk Me Into It or Out of It!

With literally zero experience in racing, I am so tempted to enter this race at SOC!

I'm in average-ish condition, riding up to 100 miles a week on the road total with a road and a couple of city bikes. I rarely ride off road, a few times a year.

I've never been in a race before and this seems like a fun introduction, with a motor lol.

This is a bit of a hair brained idea which I'm not fully committed to, but there is a temptation to pull it off for fun.

Moderator Moderator
    I say go for it. You only live once.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    The main objective of ebike racing (at least for now) is to ride beyond the motor shut-off of 20 mph.

So... not that fun.
    IPA will save America

mtb'er
    Racing acoustic bikes on the normal xc course is more fun than racing electric bikes on the short course they have (since ebikes aren't allowed on many of the local trails). Ebike races are for publicity and to get people to try them out. Hardly anyone racing owns the ebike they race... its mostly people demo'ing one. Its just for fun.

But racing an ebike is a lot like playing a video game. If everyone is fairly skilled and fit (or fairly unskilled and unfit), the difference between those who finish before others is more about strategy, line choice and luck.

mtbr member
    E-bike racing isnít that fun. Especially at a mellow course like Sea Otter.

Either: a) everyone is riding at the max speed of the bikes and going the same speed. b) the faster riders can sprint these heavy bikes faster than the power allows, and at that point you arenít even using the motor.

Trail Gnome
    Donít do it...just go for a ride instead, even itís on an e-bike. It will be much more fun.

mtbr member
    I raced at Northstar. The pivot shuttle was a sweet bike, though riding it at a bike park seemed kinda useless to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Racing acoustic bikes on the normal xc course is more fun than racing electric bikes on the short course they have (since ebikes aren't allowed on many of the local trails). Ebike races are for publicity and to get people to try them out. Hardly anyone racing owns the ebike they race... its mostly people demo'ing one. Its just for fun
    But racing an ebike is a lot like playing a video game. If everyone is fairly skilled and fit (or fairly unskilled and unfit), the difference between those who finish before others is more about strategy, line choice and luck.
    Acoustic bike, seriously?
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Acoustic bike, seriously?
    I can't take credit for that moniker... but I thought it was funny/creative!