Is the Drugs stronger nowadays?(Ebike warning)- Mtbr.com
    Hella Olde

Is the Drugs stronger nowadays?(Ebike warning)

...because I rode it Saturday for the first time in maybe 3 years, and she tossed me off my bike and seemed a lot more eroded and sketchy than I remember. I used to clear it no problem, but I had to stop and either talk myself into what I was doing or puss-out a couple of times. This, after I met a nice Montara local on an eBike near the top and I kept saying "stay to the left of any intersection! which must have been pretty nasty on a 50lb bike. Sorry dude, hopefully you took my advice with a block of salt.

Dude was a seasoned 50+ MTBer - many dues paid - maybe he's a poster here - and he had a clever saying I hadn't heard before:

Something like "Hey man, I've got an acoustic AND an electric bike...."

Are we non-Enthusiasts just old Folkie traditionalists who grumbled when Dylan showed up at the Newport festival with an electric guitar?
    Last edited by DH40; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:18 PM.

Rides all the bikes!
    I've only ridden it once, based on your suggestion. It was a wild ride! So much fun though!

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I've only ridden it once, based on your suggestion. It was a wild ride! So much fun though!
    HAHA cool - I might just be getting old. I haven't sent the ladder drop at Boyscout - that is my winter project.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Are we non-Enthusiasts just old Folkie traditionalists who grumbled when Dylan showed up at the Newport festival with an electric guitar?
    That's an apt analogy! And thanks for reminding me to scare myself on Crack before it gets any worse (or I get any worse).
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

Hella Olde
    I'm not quite sure i have the events right (not being a 60s aficionado), but when dude said acoustic bike, a dim bulb went off....but anyway just wanted to add that it would be best to hit that trail before the rain washes away a season of decomposed sandstone - then it will be even more unforgiving. The ruts are currently much deeper than I recall and the rock faces seem taller and steeper as well. Someone has been putting in a lot of work on the adjacent trail system and could probably be ridden down as well. It used to be too narrow. Check it out!

Rides all the bikes!
    I wish I was running my GoPro now...

mtbr member
    When you say adjacent you mean 911? Did you hit it?

I haven't done that trail in a couple of years but last I recall, it was sanitized (there's a bypass to the left... you don't have to take the mandatory centerline rock drop/roll on the chunky line).

I was there Saturday morning too. There was a bunch of Filipinos (me included) that morning. LOL!

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    When you say adjacent you mean 911? Did you hit it?

I haven't done that trail in a couple of years but last I recall, it was sanitized (there's a bypass to the left... you don't have to take the mandatory centerline rock drop/roll on the chunky line).

I was there Saturday morning too. There was a bunch of Filipinos (me included) that morning. LOL!

I'm pretty sure I rolled up as you were all having a post ride beverage (by a truck up that hill a few cars above Higgins? HAHA

By adjacent I just meant the trail you push up next the main line. The switchbacks you use to avoid climbing rocks and people coming down. It's wider now and could be ridden down more easily than in the past. Good option if you have a mixed-skill group. Def not 911. Haven't messed with that trail in years. It's over too fast! (for good or bad). Especially not alone - ha.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I wish I was running my GoPro now...
    We need footy! I'll def be wearing one next time I hit Boy Scout.

Friday Fail Potential: HIGH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I rolled up as you were all having a post ride beverage (by a truck up that hill a few cars above Higgins? HAHA

By adjacent I just meant the trail you push up next the main line. The switchbacks you use to avoid climbing rocks and people coming down. It's wider now and could be ridden down more easily than in the past. Good option if you have a mixed-skill group. Def not 911. Haven't messed with that trail in years. It's over too fast! (for good or bad). Especially not alone - ha.
    I kinda intersected with the big group partly at BS, but I mainly ride alone (did Mile and then a few runs at the top of BS), so I wasn't part of the drinkfest (I was on a chromed out DH bike FWIW).

Still need to get back in the groove of jumping. Had a little incident on the treeline jump in the middle set (on Vader) that left me severely spooked. Now I think I'm just too old to learn. LOL!

I was referring to Crack when I said sanitized. I don't think anyone maintains 911 since it's so unused (like Cave). And TBH, I like safe lines in my advanced age so I don't mind the change. But it's been loose and definitely not easier that it was when there was less traffic. Now it's more like a controlled slide to the bottom.

mtbr member
    I was there when Dylan showed up with that guitar!
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I was there when Dylan showed up with that guitar!
    No way! You sir, are allowed to ride an e-bike, free from derision, if and when you choose to do so.