Driving: Sac to Gilroy- Mtbr.com
    orthonormal

Driving: Sac to Gilroy

I'm heading down to Gilroy on Thursday, leaving El Dorado Hills around 4-4:30, which puts me on I-5 heading South 1/2 hour after I leave. The more direct route takes me on 205 to 580 to 680 to 101. The long way takes me down I-5 to 152 but avoids Tracy, Livermore, Fremont, San Jose, etc.

Will traffic be bad enough the short way that the long way will take less time?
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

jrm
    mtbr member

umm.

Quote Originally Posted by andy f
    I'm heading down to Gilroy on Thursday, leaving El Dorado Hills around 4-4:30, which puts me on I-5 heading South 1/2 hour after I leave. The more direct route takes me on 205 to 580 to 680 to 101. The long way takes me down I-5 to 152 but avoids Tracy, Livermore, Fremont, San Jose, etc.

Will traffic be bad enough the short way that the long way will take less time?
    I'd almost suggest taking 49 to 88 into stockentucky then heading south on 5 to 152. your going to be in the commute direction on 5, 205, 680 and 101....going the route you propose..

mtbr member

yup....

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    I'd almost suggest taking 49 to 88 into stockentucky then heading south on 5 to 152. your going to be in the commute direction on 5, 205, 680 and 101....going the route you propose..
    JRM and I rarely agree...but this time....he may just be right...

thats Latrobe to 16 to 49 fer you andy.
    :p

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    I-5 South from Sac is bad around 5 pm? Does it open up past Elk Grove or is it bad all the way to Stockton? I can take Grantline Rd. to Elk Grove Blvd. to I-5 to avoid the first part or 49 to 88 will work. Either way, sounds like once I get on I-5, I want to take it all the way to 152 West.

jrm
    mtbr member

Funny..

Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    JRM and I rarely agree...but this time....he may just be right...

good one..

mtbr member
    I use to do this drive a couple of times a month. From Stocktontucky, it takes about 1hour 45min of travel time: I5 south, 152 east and your there.

Your tricky part will be getting to I5 from El Dorado Hills. No problem, this is how I would do it: Hwy 50 to Scott Rd (south) to White Rock Rd (west) to Grant Line Rd (west) to Hwy 99 (south) to Twin Cities Rd (west) to I5. That should take about 45 mins.

Good luck.

jps

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    I know my way to Amador County all too well. No stopping to buy cases of fermented grape juice this time, though. I'll be doing that in the Santa Rita Hills, North of Santa Barbara on Saturday.

mtbr member
    I can't help with I-5 area, but 580 and 680 from 580 to fremont wont be too bad.

If you get to fremont around 5:30, going from fremont to gilroy might be hell at that time. I would probably consider going down to 152.

Members who have read this thread: 0