Downieville Outfitters- Still in Business?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Downieville Outfitters- Still in Business?

Hey, does anyone know if Downieville Outfitters is still in business? Their website has been down about a month now.

Thanks

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    Hey, does anyone know if Downieville Outfitters is still in business? Their website has been down about a month now.

Thanks

Are they the 'other' shuttle company running out iof the hotel or another name for the people at the bike shop?
    Not sure what you are looking for, but here is a lot of info http://www.yubaexpeditions.com/downieville/dvframe.html

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    They are the one's working out of Sierra City. Not sure if they are still around. Always used Yuba for all my needs.

Absurd
    This is the only trace I could find of them http://www.downievilledestroyer.com/ . Interestingly enough, I got that link off of Yuba's website, under the Downieville Downhill section. I don't know of any opertaing out of Sierra City, the Downieville Outfitters I know of is right in the middle of D-ville. I've used them both, Yuba's who I'm going to be riding up with this weekend and every other D-ville trip I make. They don't scratch up frames. On the whole, they just plain run a better operation IMHO.

J_B

Mar 2004
    Yuba Expeditions is better. I went up this past Saturday and hooked up with them for the shuttle. They always seem to be pretty cool.

Oh yeah, the ride report from this past weekend: Lots of hike a bike and lots of traction once you get past it and are actually able to ride. I am gonna wait for two weeks and go back up. I can't wait.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Downieville Outfitters started out in Dville. Then moved to Sierra City and was on the right hand side of the road as you passed through to the Lakes Basin area/Packer Saddle. Can't recall, but maybe they had moved back to Dville last year. Lot's of one years leases the past 5 years. Greg Williams, who runs Yuba, finally got a long term lease last year on the corner, and because of it, opened the taqueria right next door which is run by his wife. Both Yuba and Downieville Outfitters are run by guys named Greg. I think Greg of Dville Outfitters came from Idaho if I believe correctly. Both good guys, but I still prefer Yuba.

The Uber Carnivore

Go to Downieville and go huge.

Don't be another shuttle monkey. Make it a 5 hour loop. Besides,11 miles of Hwy 49 with 1300 feet of net gain is a good warm-up for when the pavement ends.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I usually do a couple of shuttles because I ride up enough fire roads where I live. But I know what you mean. One of my shuttles is to ride Big Boulder Mine trail. Still get a good climb in, and if you finish it off with the 2nd Divide, it's a sweet ride. I've also wanted to try starting at Packer Saddle, drop down Tamarack and the Sardine Overlook trail, and then back up Deer Lake trail. This would probably be followed by a run down Pauley Creek.

Coors, the american beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    I usually do a couple of shuttles because I ride up enough fire roads where I live. But I know what you mean. One of my shuttles is to ride Big Boulder Mine trail. Still get a good climb in, and if you finish it off with the 2nd Divide, it's a sweet ride. I've also wanted to try starting at Packer Saddle, drop down Tamarack and the Sardine Overlook trail, and then back up Deer Lake trail. This would probably be followed by a run down Pauley Creek.
    run deer lake road from packer saddle to deer lake, then pacific crest trail for like 1/4 mile to pacific crest / deer lake connection trail, then down to deer lake ... then down deer lake trail to the road, then go up the road to packer lake, left on tamarack road, then tamarack connection trail over sardine lookout back to sandpond then back up the road to pack saddle and you will have one hell of a ride.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    How would it be climbing Deer Lake trail? Or do you feel it is a much better descent than Tamarack from Packer Saddle.

i didnt realise you wanted to decend tamarck conn from pack saddle ... i figured you were gonna go down the road to packer lake then tamarack road to tamarack cnnection trail.

I think its gonna be really tough doing what you want to do seeing as you would need to run the pacific crest trail for at least a mile from pack saddle to even get to tam connection, and its steep as ****. You could go the jeep road to go up to the buttes then go down pacific crest for a little bit to tam connection, but either way is pretty steep, and the jeep road is very loose sandy stuff. Fun to bomb down but it would be a ***** to go up.

Deer lake trail is about 2 1/2 miles of moderate to steep climbing, you can do it, but personally i think the loop i suggested is a little bit more moderate and has much more downhill for you and you will have a lot more fun.

Let me know what you decide to do or if i can be any more help, my parents have been camping at lakes basin near sand pond since before i was born and we have gone up there every summer before downieville was the thing to do. I can still remember the first time the area got coverage in a mtn bike magazine, it had some dude climbing tam connection (this is crazy imo also, lots of loose rock) with the sardine lakes in the background.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for all your help. I've done part of the PCT heading up to the Buttes lookout and have seen the cutoff. There is also a dirt road (right by the dirt lot off the saddle that the PCT trailhead is at) that cuts down and across towards the Sardine Overlook trail that allows you to stay off the PCT. It is quite rugged as you state. Your idea might be better. My uncle fished the lakes basin area for the last 40-50 years. His boss at PGE had a rustic old cabin off 49 right past the Bassetts turnoff on the way to Yuba Pass. Unfortunately, they both passed on in the past year and a half. Now the trout population will have a chance to regroup. LOL. Cheers.

The Uber Carnivore

Grin and ride.

Ride big, and grin at the shuttle monkeys as they stare out the windows of the school bus. And when you catch them at the top while they're still unloading the bikes, notice how quiet they get. Although at least one usually gets up the nerve to ask me for directions.

mtbr member

Have you ever

ridden deer lake OHV out to A tree....then down lavazolla creek....and up the back side of big boulder?????

It looks like it maight be a fun route.
    :p

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    No, but that sounds like one heck of a ride. I've yet to ride the Chimney Rock/Lavazolla Creek area, but a friend two years ago was doing some early morning exploring up there on his motorcyle. He said the high country up there was awesome with very few people. Getting all the way across from Packer Saddle would be mostly forest roads. The singletrack down Lavazolla is supposed to be good. Riding up 3rd Divide and then the back side of Big Boulder would be pretty cool. Certainly a big climb, but at least rideable for the most part. From there you could make a run down Pauley Creek to 2nd & 1st Divide to complete a big ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    ridden deer lake OHV out to A tree....then down lavazolla creek....and up the back side of big boulder?????

It looks like it maight be a fun route.
    farthest ive gone on deer lake ohv is spring lake or whatever that little ass one behind deer lake is ... ive been down to pauley creek though

someone needa post a map cause i know where stuff is i just dont know official names.

mtbr member

after going down lavzolla creek....

the map shows a road that comes up from lavazolla creek to smith lake and the top of bigboulder....so you wouldnt have to go all the way to third and then up Pauly.....sounds like no one here has ridden that...If you have???? Please let me know...

s

mtbr member

so much for that idea...

the guys at yuba ay that the road/trail going up to smith from lavazolla is overgrown and almost impoosible to find and stay on...but that trail may be fixed up this year....but dang...that would be a great route for an epic dville ride.

Some riders are headed up and over bigboulder trail today so, they will have trail condition updates by tomorrow.

also...deer lake ohv is still "not really" oassable for another week or two..

s

ive been down to smith lake on the ohv road, was poking around with a friend in his 85 nissan 4x4 p/u. I didnt see no trail down there that went anywhere, just the jeep road .... im thinking the only way you could come up is pauley creek.

All of pack saddle is impassable right now as far as i know, it depends on how much snow they got this year which wasnt much. I went camping at lakes basin memoral day weekend a few years back and there was snow in spots down at sardine lake campground, and packer lake road was only plowed up to packer lake and there was a shitload of snow past that. So it will be one hell of a hike up to packsaddle

Unless of course you get yourself a 4x4 with some mattrax

only slightly broken

Maps? MAPS!?! What next, radios? Oh, sorry, flashback

Dunno if this goes far enough north, though.

(not really for bandwidth challenged)

http://www.quacky.co.uk/~elsie/downi...ille-upper.pdf

And Steve, you should see the GREAT map she did for Rock Creek!
    We've got the trailer at Skillman (sp?) this weekend, Saturday I'm gonna shuttle
    up to Packer and hikeabike up to Deer Lake, Sunday Pioneer Trail, I think, if you wanna
    come join us.....

patrick

someone needa post a map cause i know where stuff is i just dont know official names.[/QUOTE]

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks...That's exactly what was needed. Too bad it did not go a little further west, but still, very nice. I've saved the yearly Downieville Classic blurb and it's maps for the last 6 or 7 yrs. They have come in handy that's for sure. Thanks again, and have fun up in Dville this weekend. Drop us a report when you get back.

only slightly broken
    http://www.quacky.co.uk/~elsie/downi...ille-lower.pdf

This may be too south for this discussion

[QUOTE=Ebo]Thanks...That's exactly what was needed. Too bad it did not go a little further west, but still, very nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Still in business

They are in business, although their website apparently is not. I spoke to Greg Long, the owner, just a few days ago about trail conditions. Their current location is right in the middle of main st. in Downieville. The phone number is 530-289-0155.

Scott

mtbr member
    Really good buisness awsome people, they hooked me up with good deals and good advice

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Buying things from yourself

Quote Originally Posted by DownievilleOutfitter View Post
    Really good buisness awsome people, they hooked me up with good deals and good advice
    isn't the best business model.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    isn't the best business model.
    he is trying to get his post count to 10 so he can post a picture.
    To love me is to rep me, world domination is eminent/imminent/immanent.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    Seems like all of you like to shop at Walmart.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat View Post
    Seems like all of you like to shop at Walmart.....
    Don't look at me I'm not the one that dug up an irrelevant thread from 2004

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzkil View Post
    Don't look at me I'm not the one that dug up an irrelevant thread from 2004
    what makes your think "I" dug it up. Did you even bother looking at the post dates?

mtbr member
    what makes your think "I" dug it up. Did you even bother looking at the post dates?

ah I’m sorry that I answered you general statement with another general statement.

Let me help you out a bit by re-quoting my previous post “2004

Hope that clears things up, maybe I’ll see you at Walmart sometime? that would sure be swell

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    now this thread is totally useless....

mtbr member
    now this thread is totally useless....
    Pretty sure it was useless circa 2005.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    Pretty sure it was useless circa 2005.
    then why did you start replying to it circa 1 hour ago?

mtbr member
    then why did you start replying to it circa 1 hour ago?
    Same reason you did skipper.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    Same reason you did skipper.
    Actually, I noticed (2) invalid posts by you so I thought I'd join in.

1) Greg posting up so that he could post a pic. Doubtful but humorous.

2) You stating that I dug up an old post, when infact, I was replying to your post on today's date.

Either way man, ya'll are entitled to support which ever bike shop you like. I just prefer the small, honest type.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Thread resurrection gone awry.

fc

mtbr member
    Well so I guess we are all full in inference today. Personally I use both. DO had my runs last time now YE will get the next batch, and so on and so forth.

I did however find the statement “Buying things from yourself isn’t the best business model” funny

Paper or plastic?
    Let me add to the madness by stating that I don't see anywhere that Buzkil implied that he thought you dug it up.

Just trying to stoke the fire to keep the thread entertainment level up.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    MTBR: lowering work productivity since August of 96

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Hold on a sec, let me grab some bacon and a beer so I can sit down and watch this bit unfold?

Snowjnky McDreamy
    It took some work resurrect this thread...Maybe DO could have provided some relevant post in a current thread. Just a thought? You know maybe help answer a question in repair forum, reply to a passion thread, or even offered Dion some travel advice; you know give back to the Mountain Biking Forums.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    It took some work resurrect this thread...Maybe DO could have provided some relevant post in a current thread. Just a thought? You know maybe help answer a question in repair forum, reply to a passion thread, or even offered Dion some travel advice; you know give back to the Mountain Biking Forums.

or maybe they are too busy working on bikes, helping customers, or leading guided rides

mtbr member
    There are 3 things I got out of this thread.
    1) Successful time killed while running reports
    2) I need to try the bacon and beer thing
    And
    c) Jnky needs to post a pic of his puppy

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DownievilleOutfitter View Post
    This should read: "I'm a really good business and an awesome person, I hooked myself up with good deals and good advice."

Thread resurrection and attempt at self-promotion fail. If you're going to try to put up a positive review of your business, especially by pretending to be a customer (an unethical way to do so BTW), you shouldn't post as yourself. And, as snowjnky suggests, be a little more creative than resurrecting a 7 year old thread.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by huntermos View Post
    This should read: "I'm a really good business and an awesome person, I hooked myself up with good deals and good advice."

Thread resurrection and attempt at self-promotion fail. If you're going to try to put up a positive review of your business, especially by pretending to be a customer (an unethical way to do so BTW), you shouldn't post as yourself. And, as snowjnky suggests, be a little more creative than resurrecting a 7 year old thread.

I think DO posts flew right over your head bro... Pretty sure he was just being facetious

mtbr member
    Buzkil’s guide to the intraweb:
    Anything with a in the reply can mean one of 2 things.
    The poster is pre-teen and enjoys emoticons OR text in thread should not be taken seriously.
    Please feel free to print out and keep by your computer for future reference.

If we all take small steps we can make the intranet a better place for everyone.
    Thank you in advance for your obedience

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    oooooohhh.... baby animals!

Lightly salted
    Most entertaining thread of 2012 so far!

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Major props for using your 2nd monitor exclusively for kitten pics. Pro move.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Where is this Downieville you speak of and who are these Outfitters?
    Thread is useless without pix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Downieville Outfitters- Still in Business?-2012-06-30-17.05.34-1.jpg  

Snowjnky McDreamy
    or maybe they are too busy working on bikes, helping customers, or leading guided rides
    I think DO posts flew right over your head bro... Pretty sure he was just being facetious
    I think my posts flew right over your head bro... Pretty sure I was just being facetious
    Name:  facetious.jpg
Views: 2453
Size:  36.0 KB
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Just putting this out there, it seems relevant in an irrelevant way.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by buzkil View Post
    there are 3 things i got out of this thread.
    1) successful time killed while running reports
    2) i need to try the bacon and beer thing
    and
    c) jnky needs to post a pic of his puppy
    Downieville Outfitters- Still in Business?-cruzhmb.jpg

Downieville Outfitters- Still in Business?-cruz-clean.jpg
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cruzhmb.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	724621

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cruz clean.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	724622