Downieville in Oct?- Mtbr.com
    Founder: Dirty3hirties

Downieville in Oct?

I've never ridden during Oct, usually planning a trip early in the season (which we did this year) but we're planning to go Oct 8th -10th. I know it's a ways off but that's the first weekend available for all of us.

I've called Yuba and they'll shuttle as long as they possibly can...meaning as long as the road's clear of snow.

For those that have gone this "late" in the season, how are the conditions? It'll be colder, maybe even rain/T-storms. Honestly, I'm hoping for a bit of rain during Sept just to keep the dust down but obviously don't want major storms to roll through. Every year is different but I just kinda want to know from those that go this late in the season how it generally is.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Late season in D'ville:

Top to bottom moisture in the trails: sux

Cooler temps allowing you to wear the pads w/o overheating: sux

The trees changing colors: sux

Being third bike down Sunrise Trail just after the first snow of the year left it covered in 3" of fresh dry powder making the trail way stickier than dirt: sux huge!

I have ridden there some years well into November and it is always horrible. I have no idea why I keep doing it....
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

padded
    The weather gets a little unpredictable, but overall it's like 29erchico says: cool temps and buff trails, and no crowds to boot. I was there around those same dates last year and it was some of the best riding I've ever had at D'ville. I might even see you there.
    If you're planning to shuttle I'd check with Yuba/DO to make sure they'll have something running.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

mtbr member
    Last year, rode up there in November. suxored as well. lack of heat, dust, and crowds almost made me home sick.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    But but but....are you sure? Seems like it's a horrible, completely pointless, disastrous, miserable way to spend my weekend.

I was REALLY hoping for super dusty trails (I like playing in sand boxes btw). excessive heat (heat stroke is on my bucket list), and crowds like disneyland. I'm bummed. Ruined my stoke.

DrWheels: Yuba will be running as long as the roads are clear of snow.....already checked.

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    But but but....are you sure? Seems like it's a horrible, completely pointless, disastrous, miserable way to spend my weekend.

I was REALLY hoping for super dusty trails (I like playing in sand boxes btw). excessive heat (heat stroke is on my bucket list), and crowds like disneyland. I'm bummed. Ruined my stoke.

DrWheels: Yuba will be running as long as the roads are clear of snow.....already checked.
    The problem with October is there are a lot fewer riders.

Old man on a bike
    Yeah, a lot fewer riders is a huge problem. Makes it so unenjoyable.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Been there last October - got down main trail, up Second, down again. It was horrible. No dusty heat at all. Have not seen another rider once we split with folks who took a shuttle. Terrible day.

Dirt Deviant
    I was there july 30th - aug 2nd. It was awesome!!!!!!! The dust turned to mud in my mouth, it was a cool 90+ degrees of sweaty awesomeness!!!!!! Saw tons of peeps on the trails, and there was no water at my campground!!!
    Does it get any better?

Seriously though, it was a great time......and Oct really does sound like the suxorama......I may just have to go to see how terrible it is first hand.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Members who have read this thread: 0