Downieville 3 runs partner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Downieville 3 runs partner

Who wants to get 3 runs in at D'ville the end of September? It's my birthday on the 30th and I gotta get my annual trip in.
    Big Boulder, Pauleys, Butcher Ranch.
    Drive up on Tuesday (28th), camp out and ride the three routes on Wednesday.
    I promise to not get lost this time...

-
    All 3 rides in one day? ....whoa...

Big Boulder + Butcher + Pauley = may be doable if you start super early ...
    -ROXY

mtbr member
    One way to do it is go down Butcher, up Pauley, then take Big Boulder.

mtbr member
    So what is the plan start early with a self shuttle then use the shuttle service for the other two?

mtbr member
    DOWN all three runs.
    This jib has eluded me for years. The problem is the timing of the shuttles.
    Slow partners and problems with the Outfitters' shuttling schedule has kept me from completing this in years past. Almost got it last year, but got lost...
    Hadn't been there in a while and forgot that Big Boulder takes off of the top of Pauleys. Ended up riding around WAY up there for a few hours.
    I turn 41 on the 30th. Who wants to help make my birthday jibtastic?

mtbr member
    Starting early is always a good plan. But the shuttle situation depends of how many vehicles I can get up there. Would rather not use the Outfitters if possible. Standing around waiting and wasting time is not my cup of tea.
    You up for this jib?

mtbr member
    Well, if there are two riders, self shuttle to the top early in the morning and ride Big Boulder.
    Does 2 hours of riding sound 'bout right? Can't remember.
    Then use the shuttle service to head back up to ride Pauleys.
    Come back into town and take one more shuttle service to the top and bomb down Butcher Ranch at the end when we're tired. The Outfitters will 'prolly be closed by then - and use the second vehicle to retrieve the first vehicle up top.
    Drive down and party up at the Rocky Rest campsite.

2 riders/2 vehicles = using 2 shuttle services
    3 riders/3 vehicles = using only 1 shuttle service.
    4 riders/4 vehicles = no shuttle service.

Does that make sense? Someone remind me of the ride times for BB, Pauleys and Butcher.

Mtb Bum

The record for drops in a day is 7...

...using a combination of self, and commercial shuttles. This was done near the middle of June, so longer days. And those were just Butcher - 3rd - 1st runs. Before the days of Sunrise Trail. Still very impressive.

Personally, given the routes you stated, I'd start with a self-shuttled Butcher run as early as you can see. It's such an easy run, no more than a warm up, and one run can easily be out of the way before 8:30 a.m. (Only the hardiest of riders would join you that bleepin' early, so no worry about hangers-on holding you up on that one.)

Second, knock off Pauley while you're still pretty fresh. Again, not a real long run, but you still have legs. You should still easily be able to make a 1 pm commercial shuttle for your 3rd run.

Then you have until dark to complete Big Boulder. If your car is still up top, BFD, retreive that the next day.

Good Luck!
    Support Lakes Basin and Downieville Trails:

mtbr member
    I am interested, I should know in the next day or two if I can swing it. Been three years since I've been to Downieville, and probably at least that long since we rode last, way to long!! I can only handle 3 riders in my vehicle.

mtbr member
    Nice! Can't wait! Heading up to Shasta now to ski some of that FRESH!!!

rider
    Jan 2005
    That date being after the equinox, and most of Butcher being totally in the shade from the rising sun, I'd suggest a really early start , before 8am, and serious lighting on the h'bars and your head to give you more fun/safety on the dark part of Butcher.

During the week, DO runs at 10am & 2pm, so the above timing would work well. Not sure of the mid week Yuba shuttle timing.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Shasta was awesome! Excellent skiing.
    photo slide show. Only the first 50 or so are from this past Wednesday.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jibmaster/show/

I got skunked by trying to hike around the wrong side of the first snowfield.
    It was too steep to skin. I ended up scree-scrambling to the left and above the first snowfield. Took forever. Every step was a catastrophe waiting to happen. The whole slope of scree would move, threatening to send me onto the snowfield below, which would have resulted in a slide-for-life.
    After that first snow patch, I was able to put my skins on. Skinned to 11,000 ft. Just above the Lower Headwall. The snow was getting soft and steep. It was not possible to skin any farther. Lots of rockfall going on all around me.
    I thought about putting my crampons on and jibbing on up. But decided to head back.
    Noon is always a good turn-around time anyways. The snow was unbelievably smooth!

Here's some action:

mtbr member
    Nice job getting summer turns in Jib!

Well I'm in on your 3 run mission

Only could swing Wednesday off so I'll either head up Tuesday night and crash in the car or go up Eeeearly Wednesday mourning.

We can take the logistics off-line via e-mail but I'm in favor of saving Big Boulder for last and shooting for a early AM self shuttle followed by a couple rides up by Downieville Outfitters.

mtbr member
    Sweet!
    I like the idea of each run getting shorter by doing BB>P>BR, but I can visualize warming up with BR early in the morning.
    Actually, now that I think about it - we won't have to get up that early to catch the 10am shuttle if we start off with BR.
    Don't really care in what order...

Just settled with work to get Thursday off!
    I'll contact you via email for the details.

Let's ride
    That was my first ride at DV, as a mtb noob. We hit 2nd on the way down. that was a long azz day, and my friends hate me to this day. I blame CHUM for that route.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro
    One way to do it is go down Butcher, up Pauley, then take Big Boulder.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    That was my first ride at DV, as a mtb noob. We hit 2nd on the way down. that was a long azz day, and my friends hate me to this day. I blame CHUM for that route.

FWIH it was still better than our late October "Let's Ride in the Rain-Sleet-Hail-Snow" bit of brilliance.

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    That would be one hell of a day. But I'm up for it if you want someone with you that has local knowledge and won't get you lost. Even just doing pauley then butcher twice is a task. I worked at yuba for two years and have put my time in riding up there, soo any questions I can answer.

mtbr member
    Could use some help with the shuttling. Always good to have a local around.

mtbr member
    Remind me of the ride times for each trail.

bicycle rider
    Just did Big Boulder - Third - First on Sunday. Hm, a hookie day ride in late September... Interested.

Morgan

Propr

Kinda OT

I rode D-Ville on Sunday and we did Sunrise>Polly>Butchers>3rd>1st.

Is that the normal way you ride Polly or is there an alternate route?

Would love to attend but got Tahoe plans already.
    10 TransAM SS
    S-Works M2
    Hightower LTcc - 19 XL-SOLD
    TBv4cc in the works

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    Just did Big Boulder - Third - First on Sunday. Hm, a hookie day ride in late September... Interested.

Morgan
    Dooo it Morgan!

BTW how long did it take you to do that, the only times I've done Big Boulder it's been part of much longer epic rides. Off the top of my head I'm thinking we should allow 3 hours to account for flats, etc if we decide not to do this section last.

mtbr member
    BRING IT! Morgan and mtbames190!

Wednesday, September 29:
    Sunrise: 7:02am
    Sunset: 6:57pm

Start riding BR @ 8am
    back in town by 9:30/10am

back up top by 11am
    ride Pauleys
    back in town by 1/2pm

up top by 3pm
    ride BB
    back in town around 6pm

Four riders, four vehicles. Perfect!

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Dooo it Morgan!

BTW how long did it take you to do that, the only times I've done Big Boulder it's been part of much longer epic rides. Off the top of my head I'm thinking we should allow 3 hours to account for flats, etc if we decide not to do this section last.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48039882

Time: 03:06:28
    Moving Time: 02:10:24

We stopped at the top to check out the view, then at the mine for a little bit, then my friend Jason had a double-flat at the bottom of Third and we had to do some tube patching. If all goes well, 2h, if we stop (and we will stop! :-) ) 3h.

I will start the negotiation process tonight...

Would be good to ride with you, jibmaster. I've ridden with TahoeBC a bunch and those rides were all good.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster
    The only problem is how many people have vehicles that can handle 4 bikes?? I will probably have a new vehicle by this date, but my current one only handles 3 bikes.

bicycle rider
    BRING IT! Morgan and mtbames190!

Wednesday, September 29:
    Sunrise: 7:02am
    Sunset: 6:57pm

Start riding BR @ 8am
    back in town by 9:30/10am

back up top by 11am
    ride Pauleys
    back in town by 1/2pm

up top by 3pm
    ride BB
    back in town around 6pm

We would have to carry our motivation with us, in cans.

Morgan

bicycle rider
    The only problem is how many people have vehicles that can handle 4 bikes?? I will probably have a new vehicle by this date, but my current one only handles 3 bikes.
    I have a Land Cruiser with eight seat belts and eight bike mounts.

Not sure I can swing the ride yet tho, and there'd need to be one non-rider to bring it back down the hill, or a final post-ride drive up to retrieve it.

Morgan

mtbr member
    My Jeep can handle four people/bikes. Vehicle retrieval will be required. They run shuttles @ 10am and 2pm. I've already signed up for two riders. I'd love to cancel it.
    It's just nice to be able to make our own schedule with our own vehicles. Might/maybe use one of the shuttles?
    However it works out, it'll be one Hullova day!

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    Lowball, you did your ride correct, there are other ways to get to pauley but its a poach.

Jib, butcher run takes just over 1hr add 20-30min for pauley and add around another hour for big boulder, depending on how fast you want to climb. These are my times for just (riding) and I'm a pro rider soo ya.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    I have a Land Cruiser with eight seat belts and eight bike mounts.
    Dude you own your own shuttle service

mtbr member
    Mission accomplished!

Butcher, Pauleys, and Big Boulder went down, and Jib doing it on a hardtail, OUCH.

Top of Packer Saddle 8:00AM

A few pics of the birthday boy

Top of Packer Saddle for the 4th time 7:00PM

mtbr member
    Sweet ride! Drove up Tue. afternoon and camped out at Rocky Rest Campground.
    Thanx for the tent socobiker. I set the whole thing up for it's inaugural trip.

Got a few of TahoeBc as well.

And a few random scenic shots.

Camped out up top after the ride. Slept for 12 hours.
    Drove down this morning and had breakfast in Sierra City.

Got video loading and a good story to tell...

It was a great day! I highly recommend this ride to anyone who owns a hardtail and enjoys pain.

mtbr member
    Great pics!!! I am heading up tomorrow and these really got me pumped up!
    "Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    We should all kick each others asses to protect the environment.."

mtbr member
    First couple videos have come in.
    3rd Divide

I think this is Pauleys

mtbr member
    Betcha your wondering where your helmet is, guess you got my bike rack thingamajigger also.

Guess the Lagunitas at the bottom after every run, safety inspections on the top and probably around 55 miles of riding over an 11 hour period took there toll

mtbr member
    Ha! Guess what? I found my keys!
    ...I got a couple flats on our second run -Pauleys, and my tire was torn. So TahoeBC offers me a spare which we change out at the top, just before our last run down Big Boulder.
    I used the keys to get into the Jeep. When we get to the bottom, I realize that the zipper is open on the pocket that had all my valuables in on my pack.
    Two items were missing from that compartment. One of which was my keys. Surprisingly enough, nothing else was missing...
    So we drive back up top. I search for my keys. Can't find them anywhere. I use my spare key to drive down to Packer Saddle Camp. I drive all the way down to just before the camp.
    It's dark now.

As I'm going around a corner, I swear I hear the distinctive sound of my keys hitting the pavement. "How the Hull is that even possible?!" I think to myself. How could the keys stay on the hood of the Jeep for this long. Down the steep part, around all those corners, almost all the way down to camp? How could I have missed them sitting there on the hood/fender?

So I dismiss it, thinking I'm just trippin'! I was so tired, I didn't even make any food. I made a fire and put my tent out on the ground and my sleeping pad on top of that and crashed out for the night.
    On my way out the next morning, I turn right, out of camp to go home. About 1 minute down the road, I remember...
    So I drive back up to the base of the steep section scanning the road for my keys. I think I remember hearing them drop somewhere lower down.
    Turned around and drove slowly back down. scanning the road. Then, the very last corner, just before Packer Saddle Camp - MY KEYS!!! Sitting in the middle of the road!

No F'ing way! Shut the F(ront door)!

So that turned out well in the end.

Got another video up. I think this is Pauleys again.

I'll email you, bro and we'll get our **** back!

mtbr member
    The 4th and final video is up.
    Sunrise Trail

Awesome trip! 8am - 6pm
    Hit up Butcher Ranch at 8am. Made it down in 1:30 min.
    Second run was Pauleys. Took 2:50 minutes. Two flats and a tire fix.
    'Prolly would have made it in 2:30...
    We saved Big Boulder for the last run. Got that one in 3 hours.

I'll run some tires bigger than my 2.1's next time.

mtbr member
    T Two flats and a tire fix.
    'Prolly would have made it in 2:30...
    Your memory is fading there Jib try 3 flats, One at the top of Pauly, one on 3rd divide, and another on the fireroad on the way to first divide, I remember cause I rode up to find you twice, and the 3rd I booted your tire up with duct tape to get ya back.

Another ride completed thanks to Duct tape

NedwannaB

Nice job you guys!

Your memory is fading there Jib try 3 flats, One at the top of Pauly, one on 3rd divide, and another on the fireroad on the way to first divide, I remember cause I rode up to find you twice, and the 3rd I booted your tire up with duct tape to get ya back.

"Jib on his hardtail. Ouch!" Classic.

@ TBC, was that you climbing up the pavement on 431 towards MT Rose and Big Meadow TRT t/h last Sunday?? I wasn't driving but would have offered a shuttle, not that you were in need of one... . It didn't click that it may have been you until we were way passed, sorry.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    Another ride completed thanks to TahoeBC

Thanks bro. Always a pleasure riding with you.

How 'bout adding Lavezzola Creek next summer solstice...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    "
    @ TBC, was that you climbing up the pavement on 431 towards MT Rose and Big Meadow TRT t/h last Sunday??
    Nope not me, spent the weekend at the Beach, now it's raining every day in Tahoe Oh well should be epic once it stops...

Members who have read this thread: 1