Don't Own Big Dogs- Mtbr.com

Mar 2006

Don't Own Big Dogs

I love our Big dogs, but tonight was a huge joke!!!! Our 90lbs male Greyhound Ripped his nail out of it's socket!!! We had to take him to emergency vet and getting him to and from was a HUGE mess!!! right after it happend we gave him some ace to calm him down, wrong move he was so relaxed Derelict had to carry him to the car, then when we get the clinic we have to have a gurnee wheeled out to get him in. Then we had to wait while they took care of the nail, they gave him some type of sedative to keep it from hurting as they removed the nail. That was fine and dandy until we had to try to get this Monster who is so drugged up back home!!!( he is staggering drunk) We finally get him in car, we pull up at home and we try to get him out of the car the BRAT lays down in the street and won't get up. I make a run for 2 towels to try to carry him in, that doesn't work so I then run in and the ironing board we get him on it and I am laughing hysterically and about drop him!!! So finally my husband the Big strong guy that he is picks him up and carries him to the house!!! Not to mention the trying spill he had this weekend at DEMO!!! WOW, what a weekend!!! So please think twice about getting a large clumsy dog that you may have to carry in an emergency situation!!! I am still laughing about trying to carry a HUGE dog on and ironing board to the house, thank god it was midnight and noone saw us!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Thanks For The Warning

Thanks for the warning. It's too late for me not to have a big dog but I will keep the ironing board idea in mind. How much was the vet bill?

Mar 2006
    it was a couple hundred bucks

another day at the office
    I thought you had experience dragging in heavy, drunk objects being around Ed all these years

Oh well. Healing vibes being sent your way for Ed and the dog.
    Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

Mar 2006
    I prefer Neither of them get hurt, but if it has to be one I prefer my husband as he heals faster than the Big Moose Dog!!! I don't think I have ever seen Eddie as Drunk as the dog was las night!!! It was BAD!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Some years ago my brother was out hiking with our dog when the dog (about an 80 pound retriever mix) managed to get herself bit not once, but twice on the nose by a rattlesnake. My brother, who is not a big guy, carried the dog out by draping it around his neck in sort of a fireman's lift.

Feeling a little taller
    For all those with big dogs, you might appreciate this one:

I was in Wal-Mart buying a large bag of Purina for my Labrador Retriever and was in line to check out. A woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting The Purina Diet again, although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry & that the food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again.

I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story, particularly a tall guy behind her.

Horrified, she asked if I'd been poisoned and was that why I was in the hospital.

I said no.....I'd been sitting in the street licking my balls and a car hit me.

I thought the tall guy was going to have to be carried out the door.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Dec 2005
    These puppies are 9.5 months old. Great Danes do not reach their full size until they are 2 years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

aka baycat
    you supposed to wear a helmet by law when you ride great danes

those are them fancy new All Mountain great danes

great looking dogs btw

My little big dog, italian mastiff. Dogs are very expensive, need dog health insurance
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 08-08-2006 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    For all those with big dogs, you might appreciate this one:

I was in Wal-Mart buying a large bag of Purina for my Labrador Retriever and was in line to check out. A woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting The Purina Diet again, although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry & that the food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again.

I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story, particularly a tall guy behind her.

Horrified, she asked if I'd been poisoned and was that why I was in the hospital.

I said no.....I'd been sitting in the street licking my balls and a car hit me.

I thought the tall guy was going to have to be carried out the door.

Dan, I didn't know you had a lab. Congrats!!

Bike Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk1nnyGuy
    These puppies are 9.5 months old. Great Danes do not reach their full size until they are 2 years old.
    That's my dog(s)! I was hoping to see a Great Dane or two in here.

I'm waiting to be out of the apartment/condo life so I can get a Dane. At 6'4", 200+ I'm not too worried about having to carry one around if it gets knocked out.

Hope your pup heals up soon, bikerwidow.

mtbr member
    My dog is a tire tester. If a tire can pass a few minutes with him, it'll do fine on any trail.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Mar 2006
    I know you say knocked out, but the one thing you have to remember about our situation is I gave our Dog 30mg of Ace, and then we took him in and the gave him more of something much stronger to knock his butt out!! So an 90lbs dog with double sedative is not FUN =( I used to work at a vet and guys your size had issues carrying big dogs that are knocked out cuz they are twice as heavy as normal!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0