Dogs on Corral and Sidewinder trails in Tahoe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Dogs on Corral and Sidewinder trails in Tahoe

Can you take dos on the trails near Myers? I have looked but haven't found anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Dogs are generally allowed on any national forest trail, although they're supposed to be leashed. It gets pretty crowded there on the weekends, but if your pooch sticks right with you I'd say you'd be okay during the week.
    Last edited by Callender; 08-07-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

Short-Change-Hero
    Would not recommend it on Corral unless you have a very well trained trail dog that is on your wheel the entire time. Over the years I have seen close to a half-dozen crashes from dogs on the trail and twice as many near misses. People like to barrel down Corral and Sidewinder so it gets busy fast, add the addition of the table tops and jump section at the very bottom and now everyone is loving to shuttle the area (especially after a year of the road being closed for reconstruction of the watersheds and whatnot last year).

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the info. I was planning on doing the trail Friday. Looking for a fun shorter ride with my son and dog.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 89hawk View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was planning on doing the trail Friday. Looking for a fun shorter ride with my son and dog.
    A great trail for that is the Gunmount trail https://www.trailforks.com/trails/gun-mount-trail/. It's not very busy. I take my dog there all the time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    There's also Tahoe Mountain.
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    If you take a dog out there on a weekend you're asking for problems
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    There allowed locals take em all the time out there, dogs have there own route down cutting though, funny to see them waiting on the trail below when last time you saw them they were behind ya. If your dog is well behaved, go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    GunMount is back open? Tried finding it a few years ago but the fire there a few years further back, couldn't find it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Would suggest Powerline trail.

Short-Change-Hero
    Could also do the Angorra Trails out near Fallen Leaf. Heard great things about those but no information on how busy they are. With school starting in a couple weeks for a lot of kids the campgrounds and trails will probably be packed for the next few weeks while everyone gets in their last camping trips... only a few more weeks before the tourists leave... thank god.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dprimero View Post
    GunMount is back open? Tried finding it a few years ago but the fire there a few years further back, couldn't find it.
    It's been open since at least 2015 when we bought one of the homes that burnt and was rebuilt. I think the north end north of the water tank near the Mule Deer Connector intersection was fixed somewhere around that time. Mule Deer itself was just completed in the last 2-3 years. The south end of Gun mount never burned. The middle part can get really confusing with all the unofficial trails branching in many directions.

It's more of a community trail than a drive-worthy destination, but it's good for dogs, and you can make a loop of it through the old Washoe Meadows state park with a couple of short road sections, which makes it about 10 miles.