Do you feel safer parking your car in a big or small lot?- Mtbr.com
    Save Jesus

Do you feel safer parking your car in a big or small lot?

Some trailheads have a big parking lot, 12+ spaces, phone, bathroom, etc.
    Some other times there is only a dinky little lot near some other trailheads - for maybe 1-3 cars, maybe even just a gravel clearing by the side of the road.

In terms of not getting your car jacked or broken into, is there a difference between these spaces?

mtbr member
    I prefer big lots with more people. I figure more people would mean less comfortable for thieves. There were some break ins near Demo last year (not much cars parked on the side) but I have not heard a problem say at Skeggs parking lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i also prefer a big lot preferably with other cars in it...greater probability of people coming and going which also means a greater probability that someone trying to do something bad will get caught. likely less attractive to the bad guys as a result.

Weird huh?
    I prefer shiny new cars with dark tinted windows. The tint adds to the mystique of what I'm going to find! Throw in some attitude decals (bad boy, pissing Calvin, no fear, etc) and I know it's a guy's car 18-38 age range, the one's most likely to believe their 'alarm system' negates the need to actually leave stuff with actual value at home, and not in the back seat.
    I don't give a damn if there are a few cars or many cars in the ar..............oh, sorry, wrong thread

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Back when I had my 1982 Volvo wagon (stickshift) I could leave it anywhere with the doors unlocked and the windows down. I miss that car!!!
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    As the responses above have hinted, the question is probably the wrong one. Safety is usually not a function of how big the available space is but a function of how many other cars and people are present.

I'd take a bustling road-side parking spot where park users jockey around for one of 6 available spaces, over an empty 100-car parking lot any day...
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I prefer riding to trails. Even if I'm riding in Santa Cruz, I either park at my brother's house or my parent's house.

Even Los Gatos or Saratoga - I ride out to there. Funny thing is, though, I drive and park for Bike Party, which is probably the worst situation. This is is the problem I have with bikes nowawdays - they have all their big suspension, hydraulic seatposts, big rotors, powerful brakes - but they are horrible to actually RIDE to the trails with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Back when I had my 1982 Volvo wagon (stickshift) I could leave it anywhere with the doors unlocked and the windows down. I miss that car!!!
    I here ya,

The car I take to the trail-head is so awesome that it looped back into POS, so I pretty much park where ever... it would be like stealing from a homeless guy to break into my car.

Now if I had a nicer car, then I would definately park it in a more crowded area where more people could of witness.

Bryan d
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    I don't worry about it.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I prefer not to be lazy and bike to trail heads

mtbr member
    I park where ever I need to park to hit the trails and don't stress too much.

I've had my truck broken into in a large busy lot (CV Jr. High at GB) and an attempted break-in at small lot (start of Connector). I don't think it really matters that much. Main thing is not to leave valuables exposed.

My bike bag doesn't look valuable, but I guess that doesn't deter the dirtbags.

Slammin' Balls trail is the only place that I usually don't bring my bag to the trailhead due to the high number of known break-ins.

mtbr member
    Don't leave anything you care about in your car and don't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

haaa

Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean
    I prefer not to be lazy and bike to trail heads
    You are also the guy my buddys and I laugh at when we are making our third lap at Downieville while you've barely finished your first.....cause you're not lazy....

Flyin Canine
    Some of you say you are not worried about it, not sure if that is because you don't care about your stuff getting stolen or if you just don't care because your car is a POS. Well let's just stop leaving valuable stuff in the cars eh? Then the thieves will have no reason to break in anymore and will most likely go away. It's something we ALL need to do to protect everyone's cars. I don't personally leave anything of value in my car but if a thief smashes the window I still have to pay $100-200 to get it fixed, which sucks. So stop leaving crap in your cars so I don't have to pay to get my stupid window fixed again, alright?

mtbr member
    I never leave anything valuable, just my gear bag, but I guess that's still enough for the scumbags to breakin for. The first breakin, I did get most of my stuff back when the PD caught the burglars with a bunch of stolen property. However, by then I'd already bought most of the replacement stuff.

It just sucks either way having the pay the deductibles and deal with the huge hassle.

I like mtn biking, too
    I used to park at the bottom of the Baldwin trail at Wilder until my car window got broken and stuff stolen. They were dumb enough to not take my purse under the seat, lol. But replacing a car window is never fun. Now I always use the main lot that you have to drive past the ranger to get into, plus I just like supporting the park with my parking fee.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Members who have read this thread: 0