Demo slide photos- Mtbr.com
    dis member

Demo slide photos

We drove out Highland this morning to take a look at things and found that to be quite the local pasttime. While we geared up, several trucks and folks on foot arrived and peered over the edge, walked up the driveway to get a different perspective, and most turned around and left. They remain in the gene pool. We, however, tempted fate by crossing.

From the edges, things look mostly dry and solid, but we found that is only on the surface. We saw one roadie sink in up to her knees on her way through, and heard about another couple doing the same yesterday. We took a longer route around and stayed mostly high and dry. We took care to space ourselves out, chose our footing carefully, and keep our eyes and ears open. We were in the middle of things before we could tell how wet and soft the hillside actually was, or at least that it was more active than we originally thought. The third photo shows what we saw from above as a still active mud flow.

I wouldn't consider what we did as safe, and really don't know much about slide stability. We were all in awe at the volume of earth that had moved, and were glad we weren't there when it did. Next time, I'll drive around and climb up Aptos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let's ride
    That makes me sad. Looks like it will be a while before i can ride my favorite trails again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Wow

I almost rode there last night. I rode Wilder instead. I don't think I will crawl through PO and mud to get to Demo either. I may have to rearrange my plans for tomorrow too. I wanted to start in Aptos and climb up the fire road and ride back to L.G. on the road. But bushwacking and quicksand dodging is a little more than I want to do on my only day off this week.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Certainly does not look good.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Another festivus MIRACLE!

Rode on Saturday

We rode on Saturday. Cars and trucks were lined up before the slide. We crossed over where the trees are, and it looks like many ppl did this. I don't know if it is safe or not, but you can park and ride from there. I would assume that as time goes by, the safer the slide will be to cross and things settle in, but who knows?

Thoughts?
    "If an illegal alien is an undocumented immigrant, than a drug dealer is an unlicensed pharmicist."

err, 27.5+
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    That makes me sad. Looks like it will be a while before i can ride my favorite trails again.
    Just come in from the other side, Corallitos eh . Takes a bit longer, but will get you there just the same.

Or just turn it into an epic and add 26mi of fire road to your demo loop by starting at the bottom of Nisene. Turns the ride into about 4-4.5hr minimum, hurts climbing out of the demo, but it is so sweet to toss back a couple of beers afterwards. This route is much more of an accomplishment when done

Totally, and to the max.
    Agreed. I do love that route. It's just like a one-looper at Demo, only you throw in another 13 miles of climbing. No biggie, eh? I'd like to ride it soon. Maybe this weekend?

mtbr member
    its still wet, water is still flowing through it like a stream or a spring.. I saw 2 guys on dirt bikes go over it. I walked over it saturday and sunday. i'll temp fate, more trail for me sucka.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max
    Agreed. I do love that route. It's just like a one-looper at Demo, only you throw in another 13 miles of climbing. No biggie, eh? I'd like to ride it soon. Maybe this weekend?
    I've never had the time and legs to do that whole route, although I have climbed to the top of Demo via Nisene Marks. The cool thing about going back down is that it is almost all downhill, and very uncrowded above Sand Point. Fire road or not, you have to stay sharp as you descend, and it is about a 45 minute descent.

Members who have read this thread: 0