Is Demo road closed?? Highland- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Is Demo road closed?? Highland

On friday I drove to demo and a section of the road (highland) has broken off and dropped off several hundred feet. I walked the road and the dirt under the asphalt has fallen off.
    Looks like just a matter of time before a big truck calapses the road ...........

Let us know if the road has been closed... thanks

mtbr member
    Hey Gus,

Man....sitting here in a French hotel room doing of all things....missing riding Demo. Hope the road situ clears up and looking forward to riding with you and Curt in a few weeks.

Marc
    Click That Sh*t

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    On friday I drove to demo and a section of the road (highland) has broken off and dropped off several hundred feet. I walked the road and the dirt under the asphalt has fallen off.
    Looks like just a matter of time before a big truck calapses the road ...........

Let us know if the road has been closed... thanks
    yeah I drove over that on saturday. sad, it may only be a matter of time untill the road is closed for rework.

mtbr member

Pictures as of 22nd

I thought the road was closed when I saw the second one.
    Actually Saturday was my last riding at Demo (or in the US).
    I have to go back to Japan…
    I was lucky I could ride at Demo again just before my departure.
    Thank you my friends and demo forest!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Here is some more.

After mudslides and current condition.

1. after mudslide
    2. current of same location
    3. after mudslide (this is at "slide area")
    4. current of same location
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mokuba; 04-24-2006 at 09:30 AM.

mtbr member
    oh man that sux....oh well its old skool again.
    Click That Sh*t

Silence! I kill you!
    Sounds like it might be time for another round of "MTBR Rides Demo" before the road is completely closed. Any takers? Date? Time?
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Less yappin, more Brappin

Bonking ... not feelin' well grrrrrr

Jeez,

With the mudslides, dissappearing roads and break-ins, I might have to start parking at the Highland Market and riding in to Demo.

mtbr member
    Marc...........drop by and get your wheel built.........I found it and you can have it plus I'll help you build it........

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Break ins?

the road is clear now and the trails are in OK shape. Have there been more break ins recently? Any tips on where to park (on the road or up in the parking lot). The lot seems too quiet no one to see them do the dirty deed.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Biker
    The lot seems too quiet no one to see them do the dirty deed.
    Too much chance of having a ranger block their only way out. Smash and grab on the road is way easier. That, and out of sight, out of mind.

mtbr member
    Hi, I'm new to these forums, but I was just wondering whats the status of demo?

Is the road passable and open still?
    How're the trails?

Thanks

-colin

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    As of Wed. this week the road is CLOSED due to another slide further up the road. This one may not get cleaned up for a while - my friend heard an estimate of maybe 18 weeks from a county guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhardt
    As of Wed. this week the road is CLOSED due to another slide further up the road. This one may not get cleaned up for a while - my friend heard an estimate of maybe 18 weeks from a county guy.
    the road was open today. all the way to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    did it seem safe enough to drive?
    i'm just concerned that w/ the rain that's supposta hit tonight that it could slide tomorrow

any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldawg
    did it seem safe enough to drive?
    i'm just concerned that w/ the rain that's supposta hit tonight that it could slide tomorrow

any thoughts?
    I drove it. , same slide that I saw last month. I had been walking over the slide then but its been cleared by the locals, so its drivable. but, I didn't mind the extra ride distance anyway. there is some new rock slide about 300 yards closer to demo, but it too is clear
    (single lane only).

moral off the story: thease slides aren't going to keep me off of demo.

Weird huh?

They're gonna now....

Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    I drove it. , same slide that I saw last month. I had been walking over the slide then but its been cleared by the locals, so its drivable. but, I didn't mind the extra ride distance anyway. there is some new rock slide about 300 yards closer to demo, but it too is clear
    (single lane only).

moral off the story: thease slides aren't going to keep me off of demo.
    Condition report:

It's 11:30 am Sunday. It's been raining hard for about 5 hours now. Took a gander over to the big slide....hard to say, but it looks like it's starting to come down again.

If after this rain, it's still driveable........yer taking your chances, really. The real problem with the actual slide isn't the rain. It's the large stream that used to run under the road right at the middle of the slide. The stream is of course still there....running water under the pile of dirt that makes up the slide. Think liquid lubrication folks. Yes, some folks chainsawed the biggest trees so a truck can make it over...but it's still shifting. It is really dangerous right now.

I'm certainly not one to say stay outta Demo from Highland...but......you are taking your chances.
    If you go, use common sense. Do you want to be in a vehicle that is washed over?

There is NO good answer right now. I still say the best advice is to make a party out of a Demo trip. Take some folks who aren't gonna be riding. They 'camp out' at the cars, complete with plenty of frosty lagers. They 'guard' all the cyclists cars and have a blast doing it. When ya get back from the ride, you need to be the ones driving those folks out. Not the other way around.

Anyway...I'll report later today if I can. I've got a business trip to the east coast leaving tomorrow, so I won't have any more insight until I'm back.

Stay safe

Cheers

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    oh man... it's pouring in the south bay
    i hope there aren't more slides up at demo

5 x 5

Help me with this one

If I'm reading right, it sounds like theft from one's auto is a real issue up the Demo way. Can anyone elaborate?

I'm a SoCal-er with family in SJ and SC, and I've ridden Demo every visit without any incidents. Always parked just off-road, before crossing the bridge.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMountainHop
    If I'm reading right, it sounds like theft from one's auto is a real issue up the Demo way. Can anyone elaborate?

I'm a SoCal-er with family in SJ and SC, and I've ridden Demo every visit without any incidents. Always parked just off-road, before crossing the bridge.
    seems like thease days they would spend $$$ more in gas the they could profit from the theft.

mtbr member

elaboration

Quote Originally Posted by MrMountainHop
    If I'm reading right, it sounds like theft from one's auto is a real issue up the Demo way. Can anyone elaborate?.
    There are some sh!theads who will break into cars while people are biking. They smash windows and steal whatever's in the car. I had a bunch of stuff taken last fall and my buddy got the window in his brand new truck smashed. I don't have any statistics, but pretty much everyone around these parts will agree that you are much more vulnerable to the smash'n'grab if parked on the road, as opposed to across the bridge and in the lot. Still not %100 safe, but better than nothing. Don't leave anything in there that you can't do without- wallet, $, keys, phone, bong, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

What's the latest info on the road to Demo?

After Sunday's rain, what is the condition to Demo from Summit road. My understanding is the locals plow thru the road and cleared it, but that was before Sunday's rain storm. If it is closed, is there parking before the slide and can you get thru on your bike?

Weird huh?

sorry

Quote Originally Posted by sksdoo
    After Sunday's rain, what is the condition to Demo from Summit road. My understanding is the locals plow thru the road and cleared it, but that was before Sunday's rain storm. If it is closed, is there parking before the slide and can you get thru on your bike?
    I can't help here. I never made it back. Had to pack clothes and be all korporate and stuff. It rained really hard Sunday, all day. Stopped about midnight. I'll report next Sunday, but someone else is sure to make it up there before then.

Cheers
    Cmdr 'I'm in friggin Ohio righ now' Piffle

mtbr member
    whuts really funny is ur AWAKE in ohio at like 09:30 west coast time....
    that's like what...12:30 in OH Friggin' Hi O

P.S. - Sure hope someone represents the wX crew at the summit.....obviously an important sub-market -- oh wait...that's prolly A-Dog that's taking care of that, right?
    "Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

Less yappin, more Brappin

Wink

Ohio rules

Weird huh?

No, what's really sad...

Quote Originally Posted by wXman
    whuts really funny is ur AWAKE in ohio at like 09:30 west coast time....
    that's like what...12:30 in OH Friggin' Hi O

P.S. - Sure hope someone represents the wX crew at the summit.....obviously an important sub-market -- oh wait...that's prolly A-Dog that's taking care of that, right?
    Is that it's 4:30 friggin am MY time and I have to be at the meeting in 20 mins. Travel sux.

Weather? Uh, yeah it like rains and stuff sometimes. There, it's covered. Now, on to where to go for lunch.......

Somebody shoot me please. I didn't get enough sleep, and when I did wake up..........I was still in Ohio.

mtbr member
    hey, does anyone have an update on the conditions at demo? especially after the weekends rain

are there slides? have they cleared? is the road dangerous cus it's so wet?

thanks

-colin

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    A roadie I know rode Eureka Canyon/highland on Tuesday. Road was open all the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

can a vehicle get through?

Now the big question is, can you drive your car through with no problems? My guess is the locals who cleared it are driving through it.

Members who have read this thread: 0