Demo Forest: Ridge Trail Work Closure- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Demo Forest: Ridge Trail Work Closure

Fuel break work on the Hinckley Ridge Fuel Reduction Project will be transitioning to Ridge Trail at SDSF this week. Ridge Trail will be closed from Aptos Creek Fire Road to the intersection of Sulphur Springs Road on weekdays and will be open on Saturdays and Sundays. No cyclists or hikers will be allowed during the closure.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demo Forest: Ridge Trail Work Closure-screen-shot-2019-10-07-2.54.50-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    well, when they are done, I can say "I'm able to see my house from here"

They are clearing a lot............from a layman's perspective.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Shoot, and I was planning to head up there tomorrow for my first ride after busting my AC...

Any idea if somebody sufficiently motivated could still do a few laps on Flow from the bottom by heading up Tractor from Hihn? That keep you off of Ridge, but assumes they're not just shutting the whole place down weekdays.

mtbr member
    CalFire responded to my question via their Facebook page...

"Ridge is closed from Aptos Creek Fire Road to Sulphur Springs Road. Flow and Braille and open and accessible via Sulphur Springs to Ridge as they are beyond the closure."

There's detoured fun to be had this week! Just start from the bottom and hit Flow or Braille via Sulphur or Tractor to Ridge.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davee5 View Post
    Shoot, and I was planning to head up there tomorrow for my first ride after busting my AC...

Any idea if somebody sufficiently motivated could still do a few laps on Flow from the bottom by heading up Tractor from Hihn? That keep you off of Ridge, but assumes they're not just shutting the whole place down weekdays.
    Quote Originally Posted by davee5 View Post
    CalFire responded to my question via their Facebook page...

"Ridge is closed from Aptos Creek Fire Road to Sulphur Springs Road. Flow and Braille and open and accessible via Sulphur Springs to Ridge as they are beyond the closure."

There's detoured fun to be had this week! Just start from the bottom and hit Flow or Braille via Sulphur or Tractor to Ridge.
    Just don't go the "normal" way and head down to Suffer Springs and climb to the helipad. Go to Flow, Braille, Tractor/Flow from there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Some buddies and I are planning on riding Friday. Haven't been to Demo in a while. With the closure do you basically head down Hihn and left up Sulphur to the Heli Pad?

mtbr member
    Exactly.

Here's a photo of their closure notice, taken last week.

Note that as of last Friday at least one dude rode the full Ridge without issue, so they hadn't gotten that far nor setup closure notices. Still not recommended, but perhaps possible.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demo Forest: Ridge Trail Work Closure-img_20191011_102616.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JPapp View Post
    Some buddies and I are planning on riding Friday. Haven't been to Demo in a while. With the closure do you basically head down Hihn and left up Sulphur to the Heli Pad?
    The more the merrier. I was planning on riding a quick Tractor/Flow loop in the morning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm still a newbie to Demo but have gone twice now heading down Hihns and up Sulphur. Is the Ridge climb much better and more fun than Sulphur... Sulphur is a slog when doing it multiple times. Is Tractor shorter but steeper?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    I'm still a newbie to Demo but have gone twice now heading down Hihns and up Sulphur. Is the Ridge climb much better and more fun than Sulphur... Sulphur is a slog when doing it multiple times. Is Tractor shorter but steeper?
    I like the long way up (Buzzard Lagoon, Aptos Creek Road) to Ridge Trail better. I think most people do. You go *up* on fire roads, and (mostly) *down* on single track. Ridge Trail itself is quite fun, and again, mostly downhill. Taking Hihn's to Sulphur, you lose a lot of elevation on fire road, and the Sulphur Springs climb feels a lot harder than the long slow way around.

For a second lap, either Tractor (to Flow) or Sulphur (to Braille or Flow) works, but there I prefer Sulphur. Tractor is *very* steep, and if it is wet at all, it gets very soggy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by elenius View Post
    I like the long way up (Buzzard Lagoon, Aptos Creek Road) to Ridge Trail better. I think most people do. You go *up* on fire roads, and (mostly) *down* on single track. Ridge Trail itself is quite fun, and again, mostly downhill. Taking Hihn's to Sulphur, you lose a lot of elevation on fire road, and the Sulphur Springs climb feels a lot harder than the long slow way around.

For a second lap, either Tractor (to Flow) or Sulphur (to Braille or Flow) works, but there I prefer Sulphur. Tractor is *very* steep, and if it is wet at all, it gets very soggy.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. That gives me a good idea of future routes.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Looks like the Ridge Trail work is done now.

Demo Forest: Ridge Trail Work Closure-screen-shot-2019-11-06-9.03.09-am.png

They'll start work on Sulphur Springs (our favorite) in a couple weeks.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    They did a number out on Ridge! Probably for the best down the road but it's pretty chewed up and covered with debris currently. Lots of stuff trying to find its way into your spokes and drivetrain. Pretty wild to see how far off the trail you can see now with only large trees left and all the underbrush out of the way. They cleaned up all over out there. That cool old red car by the parking lot is now visible. Looks like it's been there forever but I had not ever seen it.

mtbr member
    Came up on this sign today heading up Aptos Creek Fire Road just above Sand Point - looks like the work has moved for now

Of course, I promptly turned around and descended the fire road as this is the sanctioned route down the mountain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Kinda rode Ridge today and it is quite remarkable how much of the trail was slaughtered and left with dead fall and spread out branches and such. Did they really remove the fuel or just chop it spread it around?

Any way, since Ridge has not changed much in the last 15 years it is hard to see it go the way it did. It was one of the few trails left (like Sawpit) that was that old school line morphed into bike trail. Most new trails these days have the Flow feel and kind of that manufactured edge to them...guess I am just old school. I love Flow but I always looked forward to Ridge regardless if I hit Flow or Braille or both.

The good news is the lower part near the helipad looks like there was some adult supervision and so at least that portion just past the rebuilt log jump (why did they wipe that) is pretty much intact. Much of the rest of it will never be the same though.

Now I wonder about the Bacon network of trails, is that going to get the same treatment?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommybees View Post
    Kinda rode Ridge today and it is quite remarkable how much of the trail was slaughtered and left with dead fall and spread out branches and such. Did they really remove the fuel or just chop it spread it around?
    I was thinking the same thing last time I rode it. Seems like they added potential fuel everywhere. Maybe dried branches and leaves burn out faster, so they're not worried about it?

Place is a mess.

fc
    Omg. Iím hearing the same thing... half of Ridge was slashed #sadpanda
    IPA will save America

fc
    We need a ton of photos btw
    IPA will save America

singletrack bound

Now I wonder about the Bacon network of trails, is that going to get the same treatment?
    As of last weekend the two slices were still intact. Clear and open, although "different looking" at the beginning for the first 100 yrds. or so......

But, I have been told the signage is now just around the corner from Sand Point saying area closed during work hrs. so they must be coming down the fireroad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

The good news is the lower part near the helipad looks like there was some adult supervision and so at least that portion just past the rebuilt log jump (why did they wipe that) is pretty much intact. Much of the rest of it will never be the same though.
    Has the log drop on ridge been removed? Or are you talking about the jump near the split for flow/braile?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    bacon looks like a hurricane hit it. just covered with slash and hard to even find the trail. also you can see aptos creek fireroad the entire time now. ridge looks much the same way but in some parts they brought in heavy equipment and the trail is just 4 inch deep dust. the skinny at the top of corral is wrecked. the part of ridge that leads up to the log drop is full of rocks. demo is in a sad state right now. cry

mtbr member
    I rode Bacon the last two weekends. A week ago it was untouched but yesterday it was a complete mess. Like Rox said almost unrecognizable and in parts you can't hardly find the trail. It looks like it could be fine if the trail was just cleared of all the debris. The trail itself is not messed up in most sections.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sounds like a good opportunity for MBOSC to step in, I'm sure they are aware of whats going on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm not sure why anyone hasn't just gone up and raked. Don't need to wait for MBOSC or someone else to do it... I would but I'm not in CA this month :P

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I bet with a couple good rainstorms and a few months of riding ridge comes back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I think once óif?ó it rains, Demo might get worse. The masticators and heavy equipment has left tons of fluffy, loose moon dirt, will turn into quicksand once rain hits it. Or maybe it will pack down? Not sure.

fc
    Rain fixes all.

Itíll also allow trail soil work to begin. Until then just debris work and rake
    IPA will save America

Formerly dvo
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What log drop on Ridge are you guys talking about?

I can't visualize it. Could you be talking about the log near the teeter-totter?

Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    bacon looks like a hurricane hit it. just covered with slash and hard to even find the trail. also you can see aptos creek fireroad the entire time now. ridge looks much the same way but in some parts they brought in heavy equipment and the trail is just 4 inch deep dust. the skinny at the top of corral is wrecked. the part of ridge that leads up to the log drop is full of rocks. demo is in a sad state right now. cry

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Ok - so I over reacted a bit on Ridge notes above. I rode mid week, in full daylight, this week and it better than I thought vs when I rode in the late afternoon. Oddly there were a couple of guys with chain saws running at mid Ridge and since there really weren't any signs noting closure (talked to Cal Fire and other contractor guy) I waited till they stopped felling and rolled thru.
    If I could edit first post, it would look like this:
    First section up to Corral is going to recover, wont look pretty but fairly intact and not much moon dust. Just watch outfor the leaners (head height) and crap on the trails, they are going to take a few folks out. A little legal TLC sweep and all will be good.
    Mid section after Corral is where all the heavy equipment rolled in and just crushed it. That next section is likely going to be pretty sloppy this whole winter or forvever since there a number of flatter spots that will collect in the middle of the trail. Just think of Cussaks and fire road flat spots in winter, mud pools all winter in any tracks or or flat areas based on soil type.
    Last 3rd of Ridge to the helipad and then beyond to Braille is/was ok and mostly intact.

Sad to hear about the Bacon network getting slashed as well. But, I keep hearing birdie rumors about Sawpit coming back alive - woo hoo!