Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed w/ Mudslide- Mtbr.com
    Let's ride
    That million $$$ section they just put in is gone, or the hillside above it slid down onto it?

That's almost worth me getting back on my bike and riding up there to check it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed w/ Mudslide

FYI --

Went up there this morning not actually anticipating being able to ride the trails, but curious what the conditions were. Turns out the newly rebuilt section of Highland slid out and the road is now closed. So looks like very few people will be riding Demo for a while (unless you know the back way in, which I don't).

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle
    Highland slid out again? Say it isn't so...

I so don't miss living there anymore! If anyone's interested, you might contact the Radonich's. They would probably entertain parking for a small fee on weekends. Would be a lot safer than leaving your cars along the side of Highland for the roving bands of meth-albinos to steal yer stuff.

Someone needs to post pics!
    Between the fire, methheads, motorcycle gang (if they're still there) and regular landslides, one needs to be motivated to live up there. We indeed need pics. That could be a boon to whomever was trying to run a shuttle from Aptos.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Safety Consultant
    Last time it slid out everybody just parked at the slide and rode in from there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd Fergusen
    Last time it slid out everybody just parked at the slide and rode in from there.
    yeah, and after hinh's mill, that climb is horrible!

Weird huh?
    Highland slid out again? Say it isn't so...

I so don't miss living there anymore! If anyone's interested, you might contact the Radonich's. They would probably entertain parking for a small fee on weekends. Would be a lot safer than leaving your cars along the side of Highland for the roving bands of meth-albinos to steal yer stuff.

Someone needs to post pics!

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member

Shuttle Smith Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Between the fire, methheads, motorcycle gang (if they're still there) and regular landslides, one needs to be motivated to live up there. We indeed need pics. That could be a boon to whomever was trying to run a shuttle from Aptos.
    Shuttle Smith Adventures is the shuttle service If riding from Aptos is too Epic for you
    milesW

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Gravity
    FYI --

Went up there this morning not actually anticipating being able to ride the trails, but curious what the conditions were. Turns out the newly rebuilt section of Highland slid out and the road is now closed. So looks like very few people will be riding Demo for a while (unless you know the back way in, which I don't).

The backway is through Nisene Marks. Man TFU!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    We need pictures! Is it passable by bike or has the whole hillside collapsed?
    They just spend a couple of million rebuilding that road. I think it's going to be a long while before they do that again. I don't mind parking above the slide and riding to Demo.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    The backway is through Nisene Marks. Man TFU!
    I'll HTFU... but do tell us the way there... and details from the trailhead to our lovely Braille?

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    It helps to think of it as bonus footies on the way back to the car.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You park in Aptos and bike to the entrance of Nisene Marks and follow the Aptos Creek Fire road up for something like 2500 feet.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Highland Way
    location 2.21 D
    Slide and debris in roadway -
    Road closed until area can be assessed

http://www.sccroadclosure.org/

Post mile 2.21 is very near the Demo entrance. It is an old slide area from 8 years ao where they have two gates and a one lane road section

http://www.sccroadclosure.org/postmile.htm

fc
    Last edited by fc; 03-27-2011 at 05:58 PM.

mountain biker
    Nov 2005
    I just checked it out. It does not look good. The "million dollar" repair is covered with mud, but seems to have held up. The problem is next to the repair on the Demo side. It's a mess with lots of mud. Coming from the Demo side I couldn't get close enough to determine how much of the road is gone. It was impassable due to the mud being more like quick sand. It will take some drying out before it is even possible to walk across let alone ride over. Let's hope for a miracle quick fix!

Daryl

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    You park in Aptos and bike to the entrance of Nisene Marks and follow the Aptos Creek Fire road up for something like 2500 feet.
    Just to clarify - 2,500' gain.

it's a great ride.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It looks like S2G's picture didn't take in his post, at least I couldn't see it. So here is:

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m.
    I'll HTFU... but do tell us the way there... and details from the trailhead to our lovely Braille?
    Riding up from the Aptos side takes you to the same place as if you'd ridden up from Highland. What ever the top is called - that's where you end up. then you can get runs in at Demo - climb back to the top and drop the fireroad back to Aptos/Nisene Marks.

Back when Buddha was on a "don't aks don't tell" policy, we used to drop that instead.

Anyway - it's good for 30-plus miles.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Paper or plastic?
    Looks like the slide is right after the portion that was rebuilt.

padded
    Bummer, although I can't say I'm surprised - I'm just glad that big slide that has been creeping into the road farther down didn't go. From the pic it looks like the road bed might be intact. If that's the case, then clearing it could just be a matter of scraping the road clear and then reinforcing the uphill side. (Fingers crossed.)
    Hopefully the worst case is that it ends up like last time, where you park above the slide and ride down, which only added about 20 min of riding. Even if you've got the legs, riding up from Aptos isn't really an option for those of us from the SJ side who can't afford the extra 2-3 hours due to family and work commitments.
    [edit] Just looked up the 2.21 marker and it's way below the old slide, so zerkmxl's pic may not be the worst of it. Dang.
    Last edited by DrWheels; 03-27-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

360 Video Developer
    We drove up from the Eureka Canyon side on Friday, and it's a mess as well - unpassable past Buzzards Lagoon. I think the shuttle will be able to make it up from the Corralitos side once they clean it up, but past Buzzards Lagoon towards the SDSF, it wasa river going across the road. I'll be surprised if it's intact.

singletrack bound
    Ahhhhh that looks bad.....real bad. could be awhile before there is access from Highland side. come over and ride the footies up to rosalia. Its money in the bank!

Tone.

Totally, and to the max.
    That section was just waiting to slide. It's too friggen steep right there. I'm guessing from the roadway to the surface is 15 feet of mud at the thickest point. Sometimes, no matter how we humans try to tame the planet, we realize how futile that effort is. This is one of those times.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Classic... Every time I have driven past there since they rebuilt it I have looked at the hill side above and wondered why they did even attempt to clean up the hillside above the repair...

Judging from the posted picture looks like repair held nicely... a lil scoop scoop and it'll be open in no time.

jms
    mtbr member

Cross race

Even if the road is relatively unscathed below, the slide, mud and debris has to be relatively stable before it can be removed or there's a risk of bringing more material down.

For the organizers sake, I hope the slide is cleared and the repair is squared away before the Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival, or those shuttle rides to the top are going to include a bit of cross racing for the participants.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    I know some locals who live off San Jose-Soquel Rd and often just ride directly into Demo - here is one of their GPS tracks.

I have no idea of the legality of the trails (or if they would approve of me posting this ) or of available parking but lest people suffer without their fix of Braille, I thought it worth asking, has anyone else tried this route into Demo?
    Last edited by rensho; 03-28-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick
    I know some locals who live off San Jose-Soquel Rd and often just ride directly into Demo - here is one of their GPS tracks.

I have no idea of the legality of the trails (or if they would approve of me posting this ) or of available parking but lest people suffer without their fix of Braille, I thought it worth asking, has anyone else tried this route into Demo?

Very illegal - private property with a coded gate at the top. Unless you have someones permission to access here, please don't .

Cheers!
    Last edited by rensho; 03-28-2011 at 08:01 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWheels
    Bummer, although I can't say I'm surprised - I'm just glad that big slide that has been creeping into the road farther down didn't go. From the pic it looks like the road bed might be intact. If that's the case, then clearing it could just be a matter of scraping the road clear and then reinforcing the uphill side. (Fingers crossed.)
    Hopefully the worst case is that it ends up like last time, where you park above the slide and ride down, which only added about 20 min of riding. Even if you've got the legs, riding up from Aptos isn't really an option for those of us from the SJ side who can't afford the extra 2-3 hours due to family and work commitments.
    [edit] Just looked up the 2.21 marker and it's way below the old slide, so zerkmxl's pic may not be the worst of it. Dang.
    In the day of endless amounts of money there was always a way to fix this kind of problem. It will be interesting what the other money priorities this project will be competing with in the foreseeable future.

The STEEP bank of soil above the road, which is HIGHLY susceptible to liquefaction, seems to be impossible to ever fix permanently, so you will always have a HUGE mudslide problem across Highland if the road stays intact.

TD

YESBRO!!!
    here is the new route, fatties...

http://app.strava.com/rides/344693

Weird huh?
    I'd agree with traildoc. In the 15 years I lived up there, Highland had 8 different slides that completely closed the road between the intersections of Highland/Mt.Bache/Spanish Ranch, and Demo.

Some of them were cleared in a few weeks, others 1996-1999, closed the road for a few years at a stretch.

The recently fixed one showing in the picture was not even close to the largest. That would be another 1/4 mile down the road towards Demo.

My previous suggestion of parking at Radonich's ranch was actually serious. They've got plenty of parking and may be willing to allow weekend parking for a fee. Yeah, after Demo it's another couple of miles up hill, but as datenschwanz noted earlier.......here's the new route fatties!

Or....maybe trail work day should be road work day. Everyone at the slide next Saturday with shovels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle
    Very illegal - Amaya Creek Rd. is private property with a coded gate at the top. Unless you have someones permission to access here, please don't .

Cheers!
    Good to know.. thanks!

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz
    here is the new route, fatties...

http://app.strava.com/rides/344693
    Right on

I guess that means that there could be 2-way traffic on Ridge now. Yikes.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Looks like Demo going to become a serious KOM place for now on... 2500ft just to start the ride and knowing this board a minimum of 2 loops inside demo itself. 6-7k footies for a casual Saturday ride. XD

aka baycat
    How does this effect the local mountain lion population? Will there be a decrease in the population since their food source (mountain bikers) will be diminishing in the Demo area?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue
    Looks like Demo going to become a serious KOM place for now on... 2500ft just to start the ride and knowing this board a minimum of 2 loops inside demo itself. 6-7k footies for a casual Saturday ride. XD
    This Sunday I'm doin it! 12k

fc

jms
    mtbr member

You'll Need

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    This Sunday I'm doin it! 12k

fc
    You'll need to bring at least 120 oz. of water/sports drink and food on your initial climb up to Santa Rosalita from Aptos. Drop your extra supplies @ there, and take only what you need for each loop down through Demo. Plan on 9+ hours.
    My Favorite Peeps:

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    You'll need to bring at least 120 oz. of water/sports drink and food on your initial climb up to Santa Rosalita from Aptos. Drop your extra supplies @ there, and take only what you need for each loop down through Demo. Plan on 9+ hours.
    Forget it then

This may be a bit early to do this. The soil may be decent but the trails may be peppered with slides and debris.

fc

singletrack bound
    I hiked in on the fireroad today to do some trail work and if the half mile of road I hiked is any indicator, I am sure there are some sizeable slides along the fireroad going up to Rosalia. I was able to clear a few overhead branches and at least two dismounts. It was very very slick in there. Good news is no has been on the trails since the heavy rainfall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

More pictures

I went around the mudslide and managed to park at the normal parking spot for Demo and was the only vehicle. There is a large section of Highlands below Demo that was part of the river for a spell and is covered with mud and such. It has been partly plowed out of the way and is passable but there are still road closed signs posted.

I then went on to ride Tractor and apart from one fallen tree blocking Ridge at Corral, it was all clear. Lots of debris though and Tractor is a small stream for many stretches. Very fun.

The second photo is looking up at where the slide came from.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed  w/ Mudslide-img_3492%2520-1-.jpg  

Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed  w/ Mudslide-img_3498.jpg  

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan G.
    How does this effect the local mountain lion population? Will there be a decrease in the population since their food source (mountain bikers) will be diminishing in the Demo area?
    Very possible, yes. I'll be carrying 2 mountain lion knives when riding Demo from now on. The surviving lions are going to be very, very hungry and mean.

Weird huh?
    FWIW:

There is water available at Demo. Loma Boy Scout camp. Little driveway usually with the wire strung across. There is a well tank and a drinking fountain just past that. It is open to anyone.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic
    Right on

I guess that means that there could be 2-way traffic on Ridge now. Yikes.
    Well, it will still be possible to climb the road to complete the loop, and not climb ridge. Ridge has always had some 2-way traffic, especially between tractor and braille.

One thing, based on the last time there was a slide, it will be eerily peaceful and quiet at Demo until Highland opens. Seeing someone (coming up) else may be a welcome surprise.
    Last edited by grrrah; 03-29-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Now is the time to ride Demo....less people just like the old days.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It is a little disheartening to have to climb that after. However, remember you got a nice downhill warm up before you climbed to ridge. You never get something for free.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Just to clarify - 2,500' gain.

it's a great ride.

And it's not super steep or technical. You get a nice warm up, a little work, a flatter section, then a few short steep pitches, then a small downhill, a little more climbing.............your done.

I'm slow and it takes me 1:15 from the ranger/pay to park entrance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just a heads up. Trailwork is still on for this weekend (April 2nd). We will be heading in the back way, the quarry kindly gives us the key to the gates. We through private property and head in to the bottom of the Demo Forest. If you want to help out, and get tour of some rarely seen areas sign up at Trailworkers.com

Scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by phatteus
    I went around the mudslide and managed to park at the normal parking spot for Demo and was the only vehicle. There is a large section of Highlands below Demo that was part of the river for a spell and is covered with mud and such. It has been partly plowed out of the way and is passable but there are still road closed signs posted.

I then went on to ride Tractor and apart from one fallen tree blocking Ridge at Corral, it was all clear. Lots of debris though and Tractor is a small stream for many stretches. Very fun.

The second photo is looking up at where the slide came from.
    So you didn't come in from the south bay side? sorry I thought it was completely blocked. Thanks, looking forward to riding demo again.

fc
    here's the normal route from Los Gatos. It takes about 30 minutes

If you click on 'view larger map', you get turn by turn directions from Los Gatos.

View Larger Map

To get around the landslide and park at the same spot, you go around through Corralitos. It takes about 1 hour 30.

View Larger Map
    Last edited by fc; 03-29-2011 at 11:18 PM.

fc
    To start the ride from Aptos and climb the Nisene Marks fire road to Demo you start here:

View Larger Map

The initial climb is about 13 miles, 2800 feet. That will get you to the top of Demo Forest at the start of Ridge Trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    in that first map from los gatos, it looks like you should be able to get around the closed part of highland by going on loma prieta to summit to highland - or is one of these roads a private? thanks for posting the maps

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by o3zone
    in that first map from los gatos, it looks like you should be able to get around the closed part of highland by going on loma prieta to summit to highland - or is one of these roads a private? thanks for posting the maps

Correct. Those roads are private unfortunately and rumored to be guarded by one eyed albinos with big guns!

fc

mtbr member
    Correct. Those roads are private unfortunately and rumored to be guarded by one eyed albinos with big guns!

fc
    One eyed albino MOUNTAIN LIONS with big guns!

jms
    mtbr member

Actually

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus
    One eyed albino MOUNTAIN LIONS with big guns!
    Actually they're kinda like this:

My Favorite Peeps:

fc
    Ok the Nisene Demo ride is on for Sunday, April 3. The weather is soo good that 7 days of sunning and draining should be good for that place.

Nisene Marks headquarters and start riding at 9am. Two+ loops at Demo 7k feet.

fc

padded
    Nisene Marks headquarters and start riding at 9am.
    Where is that? I've never ridden up from the Aptos side.

mtbr member
    Where is that? I've never ridden up from the Aptos side.
    See post #48.

jms
    mtbr member

Some confirmation

Ok the Nisene Demo ride is on for Sunday, April 3. Nisene Marks headquarters and start riding at 9am. Two+ loops at Demo 7k feet.
    fc
    Some confirmation please.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Blargen
    Anyone ride demo today?

Working on my Drops
    With the weather this warm, do you think the land slide will be walkable by Sunday? I guess I'm wondering if I can lpam up top and walkthe bike pass the slide.

fc
    Some confirmation please.
    Confirmed. This ride will happen and there will be lots of beer post-ride.

9am at the headquarters.

fc

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBAlex
    With the weather this warm, do you think the land slide will be walkable by Sunday? I guess I'm wondering if I can lpam up top and walkthe bike pass the slide.

The locals there today say no. Too much, too deep, too wet. And it would be bad form to fail.

fc

singletrack bound

nisene is drying out fast.....

the fire road has a few slides on it after the top of the incline and I think one more up above where White's Lagoon pops out on the fire road. Didn't go above Sand Point so I can't speak for the fire road above there.
    The single tracks are in perfect shape other than a couple trees down across the single track!

If descending the fire road down from Demo just beware of these couple slides cause they come up unexpected and pretty fast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed  w/ Mudslide-cell-phone-pics-009.jpg  

Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed  w/ Mudslide-cell-phone-pics-013.jpg  

Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed  w/ Mudslide-cell-phone-pics-014.jpg  

Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed  w/ Mudslide-cell-phone-pics-019.jpg  

Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed  w/ Mudslide-cell-phone-pics-017.jpg  

Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed  w/ Mudslide-cell-phone-pics-016.jpg  

Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed  w/ Mudslide-cell-phone-pics-021.jpg  

Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed  w/ Mudslide-cell-phone-pics-024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Say, anyone try to ride in from Highland? Is it doable? Wanna go tomorrow.

mountain biker
    Nov 2005
    Hey Josh,

I drove up from the Demo side this morning to take a look. The mud is drying out and not so much like quiksand. I did not hike the whole slide, but I did see bike tire marks in the mud. Some people are definitley making it across, but I'm not sure how many didn't suceed. If you're going to try it, and I'm not recommending it, I would bring an extra pair of boots to cross the slide, and then stash them somewhere to use on the way back.

Be safe out there!
    Daryl

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Walkable Mud Slide

Checked out the mud slide today. Many people have been crossing it. I crossed it. Its soft and squishy with a hard layer on top. I did not get any mud on me, but from the tracks, some people did for sure. There is a mandatory narrow log that has to be walked to get over a ravine where the road looks to have been washed out. Some talented fool will no doubt ride a bike across it. Sure as hell wont be me. Its a BIG drop. Walking it is sketchy and I do not recommend it to anyone, but hey, we think for ourselves, right?

The washed out part of road is in the unimproved stretch directly down from the million dollar improvement which appears to have totally held. Nice work road people

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo
    Hey Squashyo

If you are coming from San Jose, I would commute with you tomorrow.

[email protected]

fc
    I have a crew riding tomorrow from Aptos at 8:45
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=11

You'll fit right in. Join in and it will blow your mind!

fc

mtbr member

fc
    May see you guys out there tmw. Don't have time for the full 7k but I may do a Aptos to Braille and back ride so maybe I'll run into you. If not, hope you have a good time!

banned
    squash:

I know your wheels are turning. I am sure you have been dreaming about a really cool clugy log roll or ladder bridge to span the gap in the road. How long would (2) 6" diameter redwoods have to be to build a bridge across the gap?

Maybe you could get Ed to donate two trees that fell down in the storm for the project. You would become a legend if you got that done. Everyone who crossed it would have to spend ten minutes clearing mud or brush on either side of the bridge as some sort of payback. I think your the only one with the experience to build something like that.

TD

mtbr member

you got...

fc
    Sorry as it does sound fun but breaking out the big bike...missing the agro DH thing. Hope we see you and crew out there.

mtbr member

yo

Quote Originally Posted by phatteus
    Hey Squashyo

If you are coming from San Jose, I would commute with you tomorrow.

[email protected]
    Hey there

I unfortunately have a full car (it was small to begin with) but you are more than welcome to join. We plan to be there at 11. Ride will be moderate climbing (I am on a DH bike with flats but it can climb when my legs aren't toast...my legs might be a little on the tired side) with a more stunt playing groove. I am thinkin' a certain ST warm up, Coral, Braille. Braille times 2 if something miraculous happens.

If u show up, I'll be the ugly guy with a gold Bullit with a double crown white Rockshox.

Werd.

mtbr member

had it been me...

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    squash:

I know your wheels are turning. I am sure you have been dreaming about a really cool clugy log roll or ladder bridge to span the gap in the road. How long would (2) 6" diameter redwoods have to be to build a bridge across the gap?

Maybe you could get Ed to donate two trees that fell down in the storm for the project. You would become a legend if you got that done. Everyone who crossed it would have to spend ten minutes clearing mud or brush on either side of the bridge as some sort of payback. I think your the only one with the experience to build something like that.

TD
    I am thinking the neighbors up there are going to start squeaking the wheel again...that is one long commute and fire season is approaching. If I get the opportunity to build a bridge, it better have an 8-10 drop on the end to some sweet, hard pack transition...ah, to dream.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Rode today from the Highway 17 side. The mudslide is a messy slog to walk through. If you know anyone with a truckload of shipping pallets, tell them to drop them off there so we can make a plank road over the mud flow.

The trails are actually unbelievably good. Just did a Sawpit loop and I think all that foot of rain did was wash away any top soil making it actually a little more rough and rocky (which beats squishy any day).

Not sure which way the shuttle from http://www.santacruzmountainbikefestival.com/ is gonna go...I don't imagine they'll do anything about it until it stops sliding.

mtbr member
    I also did one sawpit loop today. We also climbed over the slide and all I can say is OMG!!!! I got over most of the mud and then tried to ride through. My front wheel went about 12" into the mud. On the way back, we tried to make a wood ladder to help. Snow shoes would have also helped! The trails were unbelievably awesome today. Great day for a ride. Sorry I missed the MTBR crew. Never saw you guys.
    They never made the "Slowster"

fc
    Our ride is done. Just got home

I think we had 10 people all beat! Demo has never been this rough and this good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed  w/ Mudslide-205820_10150147481033213_611473212_6596497_4238504_n.jpg  

Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed  w/ Mudslide-200399_10150147506323213_611473212_6596760_1293381_n.jpg  

Demo Forest -- Highland Way Access Road Closed  w/ Mudslide-208169_10150147710953213_611473212_6598678_7432533_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    We did a trail, Coral, and Braille...the trails were wicked awesome and my rookie hucker hit everything!!! Nice Allen! Also, managed to cross landslide with any trouble or think mud issues. So nice to be back on big bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The downhill side of the mudslide is the cleaner route with some logs and rocks to move through the muck on. I managed to stay out of the mud but for an inch or so in spots. Some folks i saw sink in up to their knees on the uphill side of the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Addict
    Rode today from the Highway 17 side. The mudslide is a messy slog to walk through. If you know anyone with a truckload of shipping pallets, tell them to drop them off there so we can make a plank road over the mud flow.

The trails are actually unbelievably good. Just did a Sawpit loop and I think all that foot of rain did was wash away any top soil making it actually a little more rough and rocky (which beats squishy any day).

Not sure which way the shuttle from http://www.santacruzmountainbikefestival.com/ is gonna go...I don't imagine they'll do anything about it until it stops sliding.
    about how many pallets would be needed to get a good bridge over the worst spots?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by mongolraider
    about how many pallets would be needed to get a good bridge over the worst spots?
    I think that mud will get harder by next weekend.

Dumping pallets there may not be a great idea.

fc

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mongolraider
    A half dozen or so strategically placed would probably do the trick. I think some of it will definitely firm up, but some of it will remain quick sandy.

Flyin Canine
    We did a trail, Coral, and Braille...the trails were wicked awesome and my rookie hucker hit everything!!! Nice Allen! Also, managed to cross landslide with any trouble or think mud issues. So nice to be back on big bike.
    hey Josh, how did you like the new ladder ramp we built on the madrone tree just above the overpass?

mtbr member

super solid!

Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    hey Josh, how did you like the new ladder ramp we built on the madrone tree just above the overpass?
    Stoked how much attention was put into that and rolled nicely. I thought about jumping it but the landing a bit too flat for my tastes and thought I'd do my bike a favor by staying grounded. Braille as a whole was amazing so huge thumbs up gang...wish I could've joined...hopefully next time.

On a side note, I took a dude who went from light, rigid XCountry rig/style a month or 2 ago to buying a 5 inch travel bike (and selling the XC rig) and hitting all (seriously, all) the jumps on Braille last week...that's how cool Demo is...steps up people's game and changes riding prospectives.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Here is a semi-official statement about the outlook for the clearing of the Highland slide. It's from the SCruz County Dept. of Public Works, in response to a query by the organizer of the Strawberry Fields Forever (road) century (sched. for May 15 and normally uses Eureka Canyon and Highland Way):

--------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
    Subject: Highland Way
    Date: Wed, 6 April, 2011 2:25 pm
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good afternoon gentlemen -

I was just informed that Highland Way will not be open in time for your
    ride. Please provide us with alternate routes you would like to use, so
    we can process the revision to the permit accordingly.

If you have any questions or need any help, please give me a call.

Kate Cassera
    Engineering Associate
    County of Santa Cruz
    Department of Public Works

banned
    Stoked how much attention was put into that and rolled nicely. I thought about jumping it but the landing a bit too flat for my tastes and thought I'd do my bike a favor by staying grounded. Braille as a whole was amazing so huge thumbs up gang...wish I could've joined...hopefully next time.

On a side note, I took a dude who went from light, rigid XCountry rig/style a month or 2 ago to buying a 5 inch travel bike (and selling the XC rig) and hitting all (seriously, all) the jumps on Braille last week...that's how cool Demo is...steps up people's game and changes riding prospectives.
    squash:

Send him out to Sedona when you think he is ready for some exposure style riding. I understand francis may be out in May to try out some of the new stuff.

TD

mtbr member

You say Sedona...

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    squash:

Send him out to Sedona when you think he is ready for some exposure style riding. I understand francis may be out in May to try out some of the new stuff.

TD
    I say Sedono. I kid. He might actually be stoked for that! Best tour guide west of the Eternal Vortex!

mtbr member

Wink

I say Sedono. I kid. He might actually be stoked for that! Best tour guide west of the Eternal Vortex!
    Are we talking about Sedona AZ? If not, I'm down to check it out! Squash is tour guide extraordinaire

padded
    What's the latest word on the slide? Is it passable without too much trouble and/or risk? I'm desperate to ride Demo this w-e but don't have the time to ride up from Aptos again.

mtbr member
    Demo was pretty excellent today and very quiet. I managed to ride all of the good DH trails which is a first for me. Bacon, Coral, Sawpit, and Braille. Would've been easier had I not been on the DH rig but the gravity induced festivities were super excellent with all that travel backing me up. The only really crappy trail is Tractor (I climbed) which is turning into a river mid way up. The slide is a non issue at this point...pretty easy to cross.

werd

padded
    I second that! Legs weren't great today but the trails were awesome, the last week's riding has cleared away most of the debris that still littered the trails last weekend.
    In another few weeks the slide will be ridable, it's already drying out well. CDF was there today checking it out, am curious what they'll do.

mtbr member
    Demo was pretty excellent today and very quiet. I managed to ride all of the good DH trails which is a first for me. Bacon, Coral, Sawpit, and Braille. Would've been easier had I not been on the DH rig but the gravity induced festivities were super excellent with all that travel backing me up. The only really crappy trail is Tractor (I climbed) which is turning into a river mid way up. The slide is a non issue at this point...pretty easy to cross.

werd
    Easy to cross via foot/bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Went back this week and the slide is much more firm and walkable. Still a couple sections where ya kinda gotta use your bike as a crutch and walk on some sticks/logs but the whole "step in the wrong place and you might lose a shoe" thing is pretty much negated.

I'd be surprised if that thing gets fixed this year...I initially thought it was just mud on top of the roadway, but there's clearly some roadway loss, including part of the new section. The new guardrail is even hanging over the cliff...a big mess.

Trails were good...really remarkable...only a couple of wet/muddy spots.

Just a tip...don't forget the extra time in and out because you're starting from behind the slide...not to mention the extra climbing!

mtbr member
    how much does it add? do you have a rough guess?

padded
    how much does it add? do you have a rough guess?
    5 min to the front of the ride, and 15-20 min to the end, depending on how fast a climber you are. It's not that hard a ride back to the slide, but I recall that it gets hella hot on a warm day.

Flyin Canine

werd

That sloppy mess on tractor is a reminder to everyone just how important it is to get out and do their part to help with trail work in demo. Tractor was not worked on last winter because of the planned logging in the area. In just one season it went from buff, fast and smooth to a river of mud. Josh gets out and does a ton of work in Demo, he rocks! How bout you?

mtbr member
    5 min to the front of the ride, and 15-20 min to the end, depending on how fast a climber you are. It's not that hard a ride back to the slide, but I recall that it gets hella hot on a warm day.
    Where did you guys park?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krazychowmein
    Where did you guys park?

went on tuesday afternoon and parked on the side of the road near the slide...right behind the rocky mountain bikes demo van.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by o3zone
    You can take Mt. Bache, Summit Road south to Mt. Madonna Road, Hazel Dell, Browns Valley to Corralitos. Summit Road is legal its entire length and there are no gates closed, after a 2000 lawsuit settled the issue. No-bike signs remain, but they were put up by locals, not county. I rode it in March on a weekend.

Loma Prieta Road to Mt. Umunhum is still closed, but only marginally so. MROSD owns 90 percent or more. MROSD signs say bikes OK on gated areas of Loma Prieta, so the day will come when it's totally open. Locals have mellowed over the years.

Let's ride
    The Highland 'feature' is totally rideable now. Pick a good gear, balance, don't worry about the 2 little streams and the medium size ruts. If you fall, fall to the high side of the mountain.

It was pointed out to me today that the '$1M repair' is only 1/2 there. The other 1/2 is down the hill...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    The Highland 'feature' is totally rideable now. Pick a good gear, balance, don't worry about the 2 little streams and the medium size ruts. If you fall, fall to the high side of the mountain.

It was pointed out to me today that the '$1M repair' is only 1/2 there. The other 1/2 is down the hill...
    So it's back to the way it was before they spent all that money. That sucks, but is oddly funny.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yep, it's easy to walk it, even a few motorcycles have made it through.

Last edited by Mortifer; 04-29-2011 at 09:22 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Is the Highalnd Way reasonably passable?

I will be doing a 50m with my son in a few weeks. Plan Campbell to Manrissa State Park via Highland Way. I am OK if we have to hoof the bikes a little way over debris as long as it is reasonably safe. From the photo, it appears to be passable. Would like confirmation from someone who has made the trek. Thanks. David

mtbr member
    yep, completely passable. have fun!

mtbr member
    Yes!! You can cross it no problem. I have done it. You'll be fine. You must be going down San Andreas rd then to get there? That will be a nice ride down. Have fun

mtbr member
    How about parking? Is it feasible to leave your car parked right at the dead-end at the slide?
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Man up and ride from Aptos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erginguney
    How about parking? Is it feasible to leave your car parked right at the dead-end at the slide?
    You can leave your car parked just north of the slide on the side of the road. Yeah it is possible.

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Anyone going tomorrow? Figured I'd give her a look-see
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

mtbr member
    May 2011

Thanks

This is the route we took last year: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4481887 . This year, will probably take Buena Vista to San Andreas. It is a nice ride.

mtbr member

Put bridge up and be done

This bridge could be up in 1 week and would be cheaper than city contractors.

Just add guard rails. Future slides would just go under the bridge. Are government officials getting kick backs for using expensive contractors?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    This bridge could be up in 1 week and would be cheaper than city contractors.

Just add guard rails. Future slides would just go under the bridge. Are government officials getting kick backs for using expensive contractors?

future slides would go under it and under the sides and wash that bridge down the side of the mountain.

fyi that area isn't city it is county and if "officials" had thier way that money pit of a road would be closed permanently

mtbr member

My buddy and I talked to a couple that lives near the slide yesterday. They said the workers that are clearing the slide told them that they should have the road cleared in about 2 more weeks. They've already cleared out quite a bit, but I hope last night's rain didn't mess things up.
    Ibis Mojo HD3 - Santa Cruz 5010 V2

mtbr member
    May 2011
    We are scheduled to ride Highland on Thursday. Do you think that we will be able to get past the work?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Pic of the landslide as of May 20, 2011

The workers stopped to let us walk past them with our bikes. The mud/dirt/debris from the slide smells pretty gross.

Conditions were good. We rode Braille 2x.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Rode Sawpit and Braille yesterday. It was a great ride, and we (kinda) enjoyed getting soaked from the rain on the climb out. The rain was relatively light, and trail conditions should still be pretty good overall.

You can now ride over the landslide without much effort, and I think it won't be long until the road is open again.

mtbr member
    I went there yesterday and it's now possible to drive over the dirt, at least with a high clearance vehicle. My Subaru Outback made it just fine, although the steep finish on the other side caused the hitch to scrape a bit. People were removing bikes from rear mounted racks to get over. Nice to be able to drive to the real start, though.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerpete View Post
    I went there yesterday and it's now possible to drive over the dirt, at least with a high clearance vehicle. My Subaru Outback made it just fine, although the steep finish on the other side caused the hitch to scrape a bit. People were removing bikes from rear mounted racks to get over. Nice to be able to drive to the real start, though.
    Sweet. Any pic?

mtbr member
    No, I didn't have my camera

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's been two weeks now, was wondering if this area is passable?

Quote Originally Posted by jdcatch View Post
    The workers stopped to let us walk past them with our bikes. The mud/dirt/debris from the slide smells pretty gross.

Conditions were good. We rode Braille 2x.

SECOND WIND!!!!!!!!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    It's been two weeks now, was wondering if this area is passable?
    It's impassable by car. The rains put a damper on construction.

fc

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    A group of us went through there on motorcycles yesterday (Sunday), after crossing it two 4x4's went over it with no problems. It was very muddy following the downpour Saturday.
    When it dries out vehicles with some good clearance should be fine until they flatten it out or remove it.

Blargen
    The road is pretty doable wit a high clearance vehicle although you may scrape on the exit ramp (pictured in the previous post). Saw some morons in a low/average clearance jeep get stuck last week - of course they were driving in the deepest part of the tracks instead of on top.

mtbr member
    How are the trails? Braile & sawpit especially

mtbr member
    Braille is awesome right now. Still tacky at the top and through the middle, but dry at the bottom. Hit it this weekend before it gets too hot and dries out.

The last bit of the slide is still there and the guys said they should have it done by Monday. That big mound that the Cat is sitting on is the last of it.

Ibis Mojo HD3 - Santa Cruz 5010 V2

fc
    The road to Demo is open to all traffic now. It is work in progress and they done a nice job to get it passable by yesterday.

fc

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Is it the original road road, or a carved out hunk of sketchy hillside?
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemeat View Post
    Is it the original road road, or a carved out hunk of sketchy hillside?
    It's the original road. There's a clay wall on one side and mounds of dirt on the other. It's one lane right now.

fc

aka dan51
    Rode there this morning. The road does get pretty narrow right around the slide area. No room for cars to pass in a few sections.

The downside is all the slide dirt had to go somewhere. Some of it made its way down the hill to where we park on the road by the bridge. Enough was brought down that we probably lost 8-13 parking spots down by the bridge. Gonna be harder to find parking on the weekends.

jrm
    mtbr member

So the upper lot

Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    Rode there this morning. The road does get pretty narrow right around the slide area. No room for cars to pass in a few sections.

The downside is all the slide dirt had to go somewhere. Some of it made its way down the hill to where we park on the road by the bridge. Enough was brought down that we probably lost 8-13 parking spots down by the bridge. Gonna be harder to find parking on the weekends.
    is still closed?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    nope.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    is still closed?
    Upper lot was cabled off. Since they are logging Tractor starting this week chances are we won't have access to that lot for a while. Been a while since we have had access to it too.

Members who have read this thread: 2