Moderator Moderator

Demo Flow Chainless

Now that there's some rain and trail work going on, the Flow Trail should be money in a few weeks. I'm thinking of a chainless (or no pedaling) challenge for myself. I don't think there's a chance of making a 1-6 segment run, but I think there are a couple of segments I can make. Has anyone tried this? Segments completed? Anyone ever make 1-6?

Trail Gnome
    I pedal the whole way...itís much faster, for me

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I pedal the whole way...itís much faster, for me
    Perhaps you're going the wrong way?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    simply not steep enough for it. Not if you want to be quick.

mtbr member

Demo Flow Chainless

Not possible. You wouldnít even make it off the start.

Edit: To me, the perfect flow trail is one that requires no pedaling and no braking.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by conoat View Post
    simply not steep enough for it. Not if you want to be quick.
    Yeah, I just want to have fun sessioning a few spots to see just how far I can get. If you're willing to let go of the brakes it might be possible to make a full run?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Not possible. You wouldnít even make it off the start.

Edit: To me, the perfect flow trail is one that requires no pedaling and no braking.
    Well, ok, you can run/pedal into the start. I'm not gonna take my chain off, too much of a pain in the ass. Just no pedaling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Yeah, I just want to have fun sessioning a few spots to see just how far I can get. If you're willing to let go of the brakes it might be possible to make a full run?
    End of 3 and end of 5 are uphill. Iím sure there will be a few other sections too.

Put a GoPro facing the cranks/pedals and we could see who can make it down with the least pedal strokes. I think that would be a way more fun challenge than racing up Kennedy or dogmeat.

mtbr member
    Well, ok, you can run/pedal into the start. I'm not gonna take my chain off, too much of a pain in the ass. Just no pedaling.
    But your bike works significantly better without a chain.

Moderator Moderator
    End of 3 and end of 5 are uphill. Iím sure there will be a few other sections too.

Put a GoPro facing the cranks/pedals and we could see who can make it down with the least pedal strokes. I think that would be a way more fun challenge than racing up Kennedy or dogmeat.
    Now that is a great idea.

Moderator Moderator
    But your bike works significantly better without a chain.
    If I run it a few time and think I need an extra friction boost for a segment/section, I may take the chain off, and pump up the tires, a ditch the backpack, and.......

Trail Gnome
    Perhaps you're going the wrong way?
    I often go against the flow but, not that trail...I need to pedal, to fully enjoy it

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I often go against the flow but, not that trail...I need to pedal, to fully enjoy it
    Rock on!

I will definitely be trying this during a weekday.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Tough part is I only get over to Demo 2-4 times per year, hard to waste that DH on a slower run, and getting back up to top is rough. But that challenge sounds fun. There is a really fun segment in JMP that I PR'd on a "no pedalling" run. Ive done that segment 300 times in the last 15 yrs, so I started pumping it pump track style with no pedalling. You really learn how to NOT use brakes, or you are screwed later in run. Subscribed!

mtbr member
    A lot of folks here probably already know this, but the Tamarancho Flow Trail can be done sans chain - I remember I just happen to be riding there at the the 1st chainless race and IIRC Marco Osborne won it and beat the 2nd place finisher by like 20 seconds or something absurd like that and the whole run is just over 2.5 minutes

I agree that I don't think it would be very fun to try Demo Flow w/out pedaling, but minimal pedaling is going to make you a faster rider

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    A lot of folks here probably already know this, but the Tamarancho Flow Trail can be done sans chain - I remember I just happen to be riding there at the the 1st chainless race and IIRC Marco Osborne won it and beat the 2nd place finisher by like 20 seconds or something absurd like that and the whole run is just over 2.5 minutes

I agree that I don't think it would be very fun to try Demo Flow w/out pedaling, but minimal pedaling is going to make you a faster rider
    You know it's interesting, I've been doing climbs where I don't let my HR get over 150. Comparing my times to all out efforts where my HR is 190, I find I'm wasting a ton of energy for very little gain in time. I assume the same is true of pedaling downhill, I'm masking poor technique with lots of pedaling. So I want to explore this chainless/no pedaling thing a bit more.

I'm exploring lots of different things this year, skatepark trials, sessioning and featuring more, etc. So throwing some chainless into the mix. I'm using it as more of a diagnostic for my riding.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I broke a chain near the middle of section 1 a few yrs back. I almost made it all, but had to pull the kids stider bike move for a bit at the end of section 3.

I think I would have been faster if I had stopped, fixed the chain, and the rolled at normal speed.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.