Demo - corral- sawpit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Demo - corral- sawpit

Two questions:
    1) the top 1/3 portion of corral is a great single track. When is the rest of corral going to have a new single track like the upper 1/3, instead of a fire road that goes straight down (boring)?

2) will Sawpit have the same style of single track as corrals upper 1/3 section? The kind of single track that follows the contours of the hill and needs VERY LITTLE maintenance, unlike flow.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Re: question 1. Unless they took out, the best features of corral lower are on the side. A good day used to be down corral, ungear, up sulfer, gear for braille, and ungear back to the top.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    Two questions:
    1) the top 1/3 portion of corral is a great single track. When is the rest of corral going to have a new single track like the upper 1/3, instead of a fire road that goes straight down (boring)?

2) will Sawpit have the same style of single track as corrals upper 1/3 section? The kind of single track that follows the contours of the hill and needs VERY LITTLE maintenance, unlike flow.
    Yeah, I heard that the plan for Sawpit is to make it a more natural-style trail, with natural features as it was.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I last rode the full length of Corral in the summer of 2018, and I'm pretty sure all the features on the side of the lower part have been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Re: question 1. Unless they took out, the best features of corral lower are on the side. A good day used to be down corral, ungear, up sulfer, gear for braille, and ungear back to the top.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Zero plans on Corral.

Saw Pit will start to break ground this year. I hear we and nature will be quite pleased with the natural but well-conceived plans. There will be a significant fundraising effort to get this trail done quickly and well.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Saw Pit will start to break ground this year. I hear we and nature will be quite pleased with the natural but well-conceived plans. There will be a significant fundraising effort to get this trail done quickly and well.
    Demo - corral- sawpit-sawpit.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    Two questions:

I oddly like the lower part of the Corral trail, but most of the stunts are gone.

Maybe Corral would be less boring at higher speed? Drift the turns a bit? Get air off the water bars? There's a lot more room for error than say on Braille trail.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ You can definitely have some fun on it, but at the end of the day it's just a fireroad--without bonus features. "Somebody" needs to put in an alt line!
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I oddly like the lower part of the Corral trail, but most of the stunts are gone.

Maybe Corral would be less boring at higher speed? Drift the turns a bit? Get air off the water bars? There's a lot more room for error than say on Braille trail.
    Yeah, there is still that challenging alt line up the embankment on the left, with a big scary drop on the other side. (Above my pay-grade). It's probably the biggest drop there is in Demo! Plenty of kicks for the adrenaline junky. Not to mention the two-wheel drifting on the gravel at the end.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Corral is in a really fire road state now. The elevation loss on the fire road is massive. I climbed it the other day and really saw how long and steep that fire road is.

So the best way to do Corral these days is an out and back from the top. Do the singletrack and when it turns into fire road, turn around. Good option and there is hardly anyone who rides it these days so opposite traffic is not a big issue.
    IPA will save America