Moderator Moderator

Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report

Name:  240_F_237560669_NSdYZ45M6uUIDvt1e3vkMjz139aJPwGc.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  45.9 KB

How are you ending 2018? How are you starting 2019?

Weather should be great for much of NorCal this week, but it is a bit chilly.

Photos and reports are appreciated.

Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-screen-shot-2018-12-30-10.26.16-pm.jpg

Min Temps
    Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-screen-shot-2018-12-30-11.10.30-pm.jpg

Max Temps
    Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-screen-shot-2018-12-30-11.10.09-pm.jpg

Nobody
    Planning to ride in Santa Cruz today, but a little hesitant based on the wind forecast. Wind advisory in effect, but not sure if it will actually smack the coastal range...
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Not windy so far. I'm out to Emma today too

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Planning to ride in Santa Cruz today, but a little hesitant based on the wind forecast. Wind advisory in effect, but not sure if it will actually smack the coastal range...
    Do it!!!!

The key is to look at debris field and always listen to what's happening. Those trails have so many sides of the hill that you can choose to face east, west, whatever. And if uncomfortable, there is Wilder and Gray Whale which has open skies.
    IPA will save America

Nobody
    Good points, FC. Getting suited up now and heading over for some college credits.

Got back on the bike in June this year after Achilles rupture and purchasing my Sentinel. Only need 3 miles to hit 1000 recorded miles for the year. Many of my rides have been undocumented...

I will say, it cold as shit out there. I'm at around 1000 feet elevation just above Lexington and it is very chilly.

jct
    mtbr member
    Gonna hit ord today during lunch break. Emma etc tomorrow for hangover ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

Moderator Moderator
    Is Ord open?

jct
    mtbr member
    i rode there last week and it was open. it better be. about to leave office.
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

Nobody
    UC was pretty uncomfortable and I cut the ride very short. Literally 20 seconds into the ride, a 5ft branch fell after a big gust and fell about 3ft in front of me. Decided to pedal up anyway and got a quick lap on LEU and 9 to T and got the hell out of there. There were plenty of people out and some coming back down Pogo because the tree fall was too heavy. Probably wasn't worth the risk, but oh well

mtbr member
    Decided to spend the last ride of 2018 on Dans Wild Ride. Did Dans North and South, Moore Creek Trail, Valentines Vista, then Old Mans Beard.

Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-47388ce7-d18a-4e74-a73f-adefbf6ac5c1.jpeg

This fatty ended up on top of the all time DWR, MCT, VVT segment for 225-249lbs leaderboard. Iíll take it!

The trail could not be in better condition! Tacky but dry. As we were putting the bikes in the truck at 11 AM (we started before 8 AM), the horde was rolling in. It amazing to me this trail system is not mobbed all the time. The trails are so good! DWR is still my favorite local (NorCal) ride to date.
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickiní sweet!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    UC was pretty uncomfortable and I cut the ride very short. Literally 20 seconds into the ride, a 5ft branch fell after a big gust and fell about 3ft in front of me. Decided to pedal up anyway and got a quick lap on LEU and 9 to T and got the hell out of there. There were plenty of people out and some coming back down Pogo because the tree fall was too heavy. Probably wasn't worth the risk, but oh well
    Damnnnnnn! Made the right call there.

I sometimes hear of folks saying how there's branches falling around them and they toughed it out. Well, the next one of those can be a widow maker.

I'll see what kind of clothing I have to help me survive the open trails.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I started early at UC and the wind was moderate, 1.5 hrs later the wind picked up, trees and branches falling all over the place. I got the heck out of there.

mtbr member
    Waterdog was fine this morning. Windy, and a bit of small "branchy" windfall, but nothing large or worrying.

Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-2018-12-31_waterdog_loop.jpg

Was at Demo on Saturday and Braille was running nice. Looking forward to the upcoming dig day as it's clear there's opportunity for some drain work and pothole fixes all over.

mtbr member
    I got a late start this morning. Up Emma and U-Conn, down LEU. The wind started picking up on my way back down Emma. I passed a few guys headed up the hill, but I was glad to get out of there at that point. It was getting scary. Dirt was good, though!

orthonormal
    The wind wasnít nearly as bad in the sand hills area. I spent a couple of hours riding around there, letting the ShockWiz do its thing. The wind was pretty bad once I hit the pavement on the way home, though

Moderator Moderator
    Snap, crackle, pop! Widow makers staring down at me on Arastradero Rd. Very windy today.

Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-img_0877-1-.jpg

fc
    baby it's cold outside

but not for a ninja
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-img_1602.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Decided to spend the last day of the year fixing drainage issues on one of my favorite local trails, not to be named here. It was satisfying, and while I considered opting out to ride on the last day of the year, in retrospect I'm happy I spent time making improvements that will make my local loop better for years to come. And now I have fresh legs for tomorrow, probably one of the best days of the year to ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rafekett View Post
    Decided to spend the last day of the year fixing drainage issues on one of my favorite local trails, not to be named here. It was satisfying, and while I considered opting out to ride on the last day of the year, in retrospect I'm happy I spent time making improvements that will make my local loop better for years to come. And now I have fresh legs for tomorrow, probably one of the best days of the year to ride!
    Good on you! Countless people will enjoy your work without knowing your contribution. The trail Gods remember days and choices like those!
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickiní sweet!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Good on you! Countless people will enjoy your work without knowing your contribution. The trail Gods remember days and choices like those!
    Damn right!

poser
    Ord is drying out fast. Trail 50 and 82 are fast and smooth. A lot of people out there enjoying the first day of the year.

Moderator Moderator

Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report

Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    i rode there last week and it was open. it better be. about to leave office.
    Ord affected by the government shutdown in any way?
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:46 PM.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Rode Hoot Trail today with Jeni. Both of us are terribly out of shape but I had a cheat code....

The trail is in good shape but conditions were slick due to ice and some thin mud in places. We looped back via Dascombe Trail. It was pretty cold. The frost heave icicles were up to 2" long in places. Saw Orion back at the parking spot and he had cut his ride short after seeing the conditions.

Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-wbiuqh7.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Rode Hoot Trail today with Jeni. Both of us are terribly out of shape but I had a cheat code....

The trail is in good shape but conditions were slick due to ice and some thin mud in places. We looped back via Dascombe Trail. It was pretty cold. The frost heave icicles were up to 2" long in places. Saw Orion back at the parking spot and he had cut his ride short after seeing the conditions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wbIUqH7.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	575.5 KB 
ID:	1231550
    What tires are on your truck? Iím researching A/T tires ad nauseam at the moment. Cooper AT3 4S, Conti TerrainContact, and Yoko Geolanders are the current contenders.

fc
    I was with my kids all day so ride time was dark o'clock.

It can only get better from here. But... I got the ride in.Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-screen-shot-2019-01-01-11.50.24-pm.jpg
    IPA will save America

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    What tires are on your truck? Iím researching A/T tires ad nauseam at the moment. Cooper AT3 4S, Conti TerrainContact, and Yoko Geolanders are the current contenders.
    All of those are good options. I had Geolandars AT G015 and really liked them but needed a more aggressive tread and tougher sidewall so I know have Falken Wildpeak A/T3W P285/7017. I also had the TerrainContacts for 1,000miles or so and have Cooper ATPs on our 2017 Canyon at work.

For very light off-road with mostly highway I'd go TerrainContact, Geolandar, Wildpeak AT3W, Cooper AT3 4S

For more off-road I'd go Wildpeak AT3W, Cooper AT3 4S, Geolandar, TerrainContact

For badass looks I'd go Wildpeak AT3W or KO2 (I left out the KO2 above because it's way more expensive than the others and doesn't do anything better than the Wildpeak and is worse in snow). It's still a great tire though.

Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-aumrx8i.jpg

Wildpeaks and KO2 side by side
    Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-qvbyxsa.jpg

Not helpful.
    I went up to Hogan yesterday and did more trailwork. Exhausted the two batteries on the trimmer and hung flags for a new section of trail. Will have to modify the entrance before we/I start cutting. Ran into Mike who was out for a spin trying to get his legs back, and a new guy from Lodi, who was interested in learning new sections of the trail. Maybe I can get some trailwork outta him.

Bailed on the Slamin' Balls NYD day ride (sorry, 0gres!), just didn't feel like driving that far, and didn't want to be part of a big group. I think I'm turning into a hermit.

Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-img.jpg

poser
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Ord affected by the government shutdown in any way?

The only time I see Ord closed is when they do controlled burns out there, and even then the only close sections.. park outside the gate if need be.

singletrack bound
    restrooms and trash pick up is effected. Go before you go..........

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just got back in town. Down trees/branches all over? Rain forecast for the weekend? Where's the best place to ride for a Friday "sick" day?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Just got back in town. Down trees/branches all over? Rain forecast for the weekend? Where's the best place to ride for a Friday "sick" day?
    100% chance on Saturday!!!!Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-screen-shot-2019-01-02-9.53.11-am.png

Yeah, we should go ride Friday!
    IPA will save America

NedwannaB

Annadel was pretty sweet today

Kicked off the new year with superdeedooper conditions! We had to cut ride short due to my ride partner fighting a NYE chest cold that came on suddenly pre ride! :0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-0101191037a_film1.jpg  

Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-img_20190101_145954_368.jpg  

Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

poser
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    restrooms and trash pick up is effected. Go before you go..........
    MORCA (Monterey off road cyclist association) has been emptying trash cans at the creekside trailhead, but yes the restrooms are closed.

mtbr member
    UC was awesome yesterday. The steeper stuff is drying out and some rain will do it some good, but thats being picky!
    I came across several downed trees. Most of them large trees! None were in dangerous places as you could see them in time to stop.
    The trails were empty in the cold morning.
    Perfect day all in all!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    2 laps of China Camp today. Everything drying out except wet spots along shoreline. Fun, easy, scenic trails. The afternoon wind out of the north was COLD!

Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-i-5k8cdh7-xl.jpg

Rain's coming! So Lime Thursday & Crockett Friday. :-)

BRAAAP!

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Broke a derailleur hanger in my first five minutes at Rockville yesterday. Scored a new hanger and 10 miles in Auburn today. Great conditions with no mud puddles.

Big 40 mile 4,000í day tomorrow- get tired before the rain arrives!

fc
    2 for 2 in 2019.

Rode from my house and found this.Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-img_1625.jpg

May still be in use
    Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-img_1629.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Rode Prewitt Ridge for the first time today. Really fun, but not sure I would do it again. Kinda far drive for less than 15 minutes of trail.

Chasing my friend up the first climb. 2700í in less than an hour 15 was too fast for me. My legs were sluggish the rest of the ride.

The ride in general was pretty short, but since itís so much climbing most normal people wouldnít go back for a second lap.

Did some sight seeing on the way back. Hwy1 was super busy, so may as well take our time and enjoy the views.

Trail Gnome
    China Camp was pretty dry today...bring on the rain

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    2 for 2 in 2019.

Rode from my house and found this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1625.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	638.2 KB 
ID:	1231827

May still be in use

Name:	IMG_1629.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	451.0 KB 
ID:	1231828
    Looks like a new roof on that sucka...somebody is camping out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Are those mortars at Sanborn?

mtb'er
    Happy New Year! Enjoy this relatively small photo! It gets larger if you click it 3 times! Yay technology!!

Dec 31-Jan 3, 2018/2019 Happy New Year Trail and Ride Report-p1080338.jpg

NedwannaB
    Have a riding couple friends that live in Napa/ride over there somewhat regular, the Levine's ring a bell? I was trying to get there for a tour over the holiday just couldn't get it together. Now I'm sick like dawg and rain coming for awhile anyway. Ugh
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    2 for 2 in 2019.

Rode from my house and found this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1625.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	638.2 KB 
ID:	1231827

May still be in use

Name:	IMG_1629.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	451.0 KB 
ID:	1231828
    He lives!

Name:  top-10-sightings-intro-324x205.jpg